Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hydes2004 View Post
    so has anyone figured out why i have the white page? how can i login to root via ubuntu 9.04
    Had the same white screen due to errors in the edited file. Something isn't right with your edits. Once I got the syntax right on mine I was good to go. You best bet is to restire the original file and try again. I believe there is a copy of it in the OS Dr? Someone can hopefully verify that.
    TTFN
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    hmm. this is aggravating me lol. ill guess ill wait to see if an undo script is made
    hmm. this is aggravating me lol. ill guess ill wait to see if an undo script is made
    Here's a script that will undo the changes. (Let's see if the OP can host it. If not, I'll see if I can. If so, I'll then post a wget command similar to the OP's. If not, you can cut and paste from between the indicated lines below and then issue the command(s) below the "cut above this line" indication below to apply the script on your rooted phone:

# <! -- cut below this line -->
    #!/bin/sh
    # Revert from Roam Only Mode to Stock Pre v1.02
    #
    mount -o remount,rw /

targetfile=/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs
    backupfile="${targetfile}.backup"
    patchedfile="${targetfile}.patched"

if [ -f $backupfile ]
    then
    cp -p $targetfile $patchedfile
    mv $backupfile $targetfile
    fi

mount -o remount,ro /
    # <!-- cut above this line -->

Copy the above lines into your your paste buffer.
    Connect your Pre as a USB drive.
    Using your favorite editor (ie: notepad, textedit, vim, or emacs), paste these lines into the file.
    Save the file.

On your rooted Pre:
    cd to the directory where this file exists.
    chmod a+x whateverFilenameYouGaveIt
    ./whateverFilenameYouGaveIt

I hope this helps,
    Let me know if you run into any problems. (I will only be available on my Pre after about 2-2:30PM EST, so better to try in the next hour (now 1PM) if you can.)

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    w5mw, thanks for saving the file (in your script) before making the changes. That makes backing it out very simple! (and I thought I was going to have to write sed commands to undo yours) :-)

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    ok well i just used webos dr to reformat the pre. went back to 1.02, then i logged into my palm profile and it did not restore any of my contacts or applications. ive already upgraded to 1.03 and still no luck from my palm profile backup.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    nvm i did it again and re logged into the palm profile. cust service from sprint blows, they have no clue wtf they r talking about when it comes to this phone. im going to the sprint store sometime next week to exchange for a new one. if i close the slider to hard it resets and im not rigging a brand new phone with a piece of paper behind the battery.
    ... cust service from sprint blows, they have no clue wtf they r talking about when it comes to this phone. ....
    The CS reps aren't going to know all the procedures/workarounds to problems like yours from the get-go. Hopefully they stayed on the line long enough to learn what worked in your case. (I suspect your partucular CS rep didn't learn in yout case, but evetually someone else will learn and teach him/her,) Too bad he/she did not escalate you someone with problem solving skills.)

-- Bob
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    jus rooted, enabled the optware packages, rebooted.
    made the device writable, executed his wget cmd. made it back to read only, and got out of dev mode. phone is rebooting now lets see how it works....
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    The CS reps aren't going to know all the procedures/workarounds to problems like yours from the get-go. Hopefully they stayed on the line long enough to learn what worked in your case. (I suspect your partucular CS rep didn't learn in yout case, but evetually someone else will learn and teach him/her,) Too bad he/she did not escalate you someone with problem solving skills.)

-- Bob
    i hung up on them and ended up figuring it out myself.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    It worked!!!!!!! Yay
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    only thing that sucks is 1x data when roaming but i can live with that. when i go up to nh, maine, and vermont. sprints service is ****ty at best, never got a signal on my old ic502 in nh. so when i go there im just going to switch to roam only.
    i need help.. im really bad at this but i desperately need the roaming feature and ill do anything. Could someone guide a newbie on a step by step way to getting this to work. I currently have Vista on my laptop and i have no idea what to do. Iv read over all the stuff everyone's posted but i need a specific step by step guide that would be easier for me. Or someone can try to make it as simple as they can and ill try my best to follow it. I'd really appreciate it if someone can help me. Funny thing is i dont even know how to logg in as root but im in dev mode just not sure how to connect.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    login to root via this guide, make sure u enable dev mode
    pre dev wiki: Enable the Optware Package Feed

once logged in type

rootfs_open -w

after that run the wget cmd that w5mw made then type :wq and done. get of of dev mode phone reboots and it should work. make sue to send a msg to w5mw and say 73`s qsy to verizon lol
    I tried that link but for some reason i get stuck at step 10 and cant get python to run the file not sure what to type.
    i am now having problems with mms.
    I am not sure if it was the update to 1.0.3 or my rooting the pre and adding the roam only hack.
    I am positive that I was successfully sending pictures before... Now it says I sent but nobady is getting them!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrfj View Post
    I am not sure if it was the update to 1.0.3 or my rooting the pre and adding the roam only hack.
    I am positive that I was successfully sending pictures before... Now it says I sent but nobady is getting them!
    my mms works fine. i just sent one to a friend, lets see if i can receive....
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrfj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kishu View Post
    I tried that link but for some reason i get stuck at step 10 and cant get python to run the file not sure what to type.
    what i did was install python.
    it installed to python26
    i then coped all the sub files from the pre dev wiki to the python26 dir in my c: drive

i then went into cmd
    and type
    cd c:\python26
    once in that folder i type
    python talk.py

it works like a charm
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    is there an easy way to do this with out rooting is that even possible because i know nothing about this software i was pretty good with the winmobile but im a little afraid to mess my pre up i think i love this phone to much or maybe a step by step guide for us new people......... thanks
    my mms works fine. i just sent one to a friend, lets see if i can receive....
    Yup works now! Mustve been the 1.0.3 cause all I did was take out battery 4 a couple minutes turned back on and now can send to alltel customer again

Don't think had anything to do with this hack, just coincidence both happened around same time!
    what i did was install python.
    it installed to python26
    i then coped all the sub files from the pre dev wiki to the python26 dir in my c: drive

i then went into cmd
    and type
    cd c:\python26
    once in that folder i type
    python talk.py

it works like a charm
    Ok i got that far. When i typed in python talk.py i got this

C:\Python26>python talk.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "talk.py", line 48, in <module>
    port = getport()
    File "talk.py", line 24, in getport
    sock = getsocket(6968)
    File "talk.py", line 7, in getsocket
    s.connect(("localhost", port))
    File "<string>", line 1, in connect
    socket.gaierror: [Errno 11001] getaddrinfo failed

not sure what to do. I went to the mirc chat they put on that site but their useless no one really helps people just ignore my questions
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast