Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Pre says "R" when it's roming. So if yours doesn't have the R symbol then you're definatly on Sprints network.
    hi, i've been reading and following along with this post...well i managed to get the roam only option up on the phone, but i didn't backup my preferences file. can someone upload the original preferences file so i can back it up? i tried to simply undo the changes i had made in vi, and the preferences card came up just white, so i switched it back to the hacked one. it seems like my reception is far worse with this hack enabled for me, so i want to go back to the original. (i'm not terribly adept with linux, but i love to tinker, its a bad combo i know) anyways, if someone could help, that'd be great, i just need the unmodified file. thanks!

*edit* duh, i found the original file in the webos image
    Last edited by daveted420; 06/20/2009 at 05:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    hmm, i did this under windows last night, logged in as root mounted / unmounted and then i ran his wget script. i rebooted the phone, my preferences menu is a blank white card. anyone have the fix? thanks in advance\

i love my pre
    Quote Originally Posted by w5mw View Post
    Okay.. Telnet in as root and edit the file as follows:

#Add a comma to the end of line 208
    Before: {label : $L("Automatic"),value: "any"}
    After: {label : $L("Automatic"),value: "any"},

#Append the following directly after line 208
    {label : "Roam Only",value: "roamonly"}

#Append the following directly after line 998
    else if(payload.extended.mode == 'roamonly') {
    this.voiceRoamingModel.currentVoiceRoaming = "roamonly";
    $('dataroamingrow').show();
    $('voiceRoamingRow').removeClassName('last');
    }
    OK,
    I think I am in as root but how do I get to these lines?
    To edit? Also how are you resecuring the network?
    I'm so close!
    Good Call.. I whipped up a quick script using sed to:

1. Remount / RW
    2. Backup the original file.
    3. Patch the file with the Roam Only additions.
    4. Remount / RO

Just run the following command as root on your Pre.

Code:
    wget -qO- http :// www dot gadgettrail dot com/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh
    Again, sorry for the weird link. I'm not allowed to include links yet.

I'm attaching a txt file to this post so you can cut and paste the exact command.
    when using this method, are you in as telnet or what?
    Nevermind... typing as I rebooted. Thinking I bricked my phone. I didn't it works I now have a roam only option!!!!!!
    One question though. OK a couple!
    Are all of you re securing your network?
    If so by what method?
    Or does taking it out of developer mode not do just that?

This worked!!!! only took me a couple of days to figure out all of this gibberish as I have no programming experience nor any experience with linux. My only saving grace was that there is a the webos dr. out there and I knew I could redo the phone if need be.

Also before when I roamed I got EV signal, now when I force roam I only get the 1x symbol? Any Ideas?

Thanks to op, and all the others on here who have figured out how to do this.
    MO
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    hm m, im in root now, seams when i do wget -qO- http: //www gadgettrail com/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh it does not download

i need to do wget http: //www gadgettrail com/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh

says the file downloaded, but now how do i run the patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by hydes2004 View Post
    hm m, im in root now, seams when i do wget -qO- http: //www gadgettrail com/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh it does not download

i need to do wget http: //www gadgettrail com/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh

says the file downloaded, but now how do i run the patch?
    all I did was copy whats in that txt file into the command line/telnet/root after changing the mount to rw make sure you remount to ro when done. I then rebooted and took out of developer mode and walla
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    husky, i tried that also. still does not work, just a white page when going to preferences
    Good Call.. I whipped up a quick script using sed to:

1. Remount / RW
    2. Backup the original file.
    3. Patch the file with the Roam Only additions.
    4. Remount / RO

Just run the following command as root on your Pre.

Code:
    wget -qO- http :// www dot gadgettrail dot com/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh
    Again, sorry for the weird link. I'm not allowed to include links yet.

I'm attaching a txt file to this post so you can cut and paste the exact command.
    Works like a charm... except I have no data when roaming, which makes this somewhat useless for me, nice job tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    Actually i am not sure we wanna put this on their seeing as sprint/palm has already warned about tethering. My guess is they might not be super pleased about this.
    Also once you get the whole patch system down its super simple. ...
    I totally concur. We can't risk showing lines of source in the forums (like was done a few posts ago). Making an environment that people can load onto their computers (ie: on cygwin for windows users) and giving them some instructions on how to apply a patch, and also on how to see (hopefully graphically) the diffs involved in the patch would be good. I'm willing to help someone build such environment. (I prefer not to work alone. Is there anyone else who might want to share such a task?) I just applied for a membership on the wiki a few hours ago.

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrfj View Post
    ... Also before when I roamed I got EV signal, now when I force roam I only get the 1x symbol? Any Ideas?
    Most likely because there are no EV-DO towers near where your phone is located (at home?). If this is the case, you'll only get "slow internet (Vision, instead of Power Vision) in roaming-only mode. You can try to do a PRL update. (I don't recall the exact procedure to do this, but I think it's one of the choices off the phone menu. I'm not sure what the effect of trying a PRL update while "roaming only" would be. Potentally not good, google the idea first before trying that. Instead, the safe thing to do would go back to Sprint/EV-DO and request the PRL update, then go back to your roaming only mode and see if you can now get EV-DO.

hope this helps,
    --
    Bob
    hydes2004
    Dude, I feel for you!, I was sooo worried this would happen to me. I am sorry but I have no idea how to fix this...
    Can someone help him?
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Most likely because there are no EV-DO towers near where your phone is located (at home?). If this is the case, you'll only get "slow internet (Vision, instead of Power Vision) in roaming-only mode. You can try to do a PRL update. (I don't recall the exact procedure to do this, but I think it's one of the choices off the phone menu. I'm not sure what the effect of trying a PRL update while "roaming only" would be. Potentally not good, google the idea first before trying that. Instead, the safe thing to do would go back to Sprint/EV-DO and request the PRL update, then go back to your roaming only mode and see if you can now get EV-DO.

hope this helps,
    --
    Bob
    Thanks,
    that would be the obvious issue. But before I changed things and would roam in the same spots I am now forcing roam. I would have ev roam not 1x.
    Will try prl update in sprint service but think maybe it is something else, having to do with the change.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Wordt comed to worst I'm goin use the webos dr tool. Reformat ad try it again. I'm on the pre now everything is fine but that screen. I was gonna try the linux way but how do I login in right
    this was my first hack on the pre. i love it! alltel gets amazing coverage in my area, and sprints coverage is less than acceptable. I dont get evdo, but i really use my phone at work school and home, and all three have dependable wifi
    Thanks,
    that would be the obvious issue. But before I changed things and would roam in the same spots I am now forcing roam. I would have ev roam not 1x.
    Will try prl update in sprint service but think maybe it is something else, having to do with the change.
    Now that you said you were able to EV-DO roam before, it might very well be something with the change. It will be interesting to see if a PRL update helps. I guess the step after that would be to try and back out the change and see if you can get your phone to roam again onto EV-DO. (That would give the OP a data point which indicates high liklihood that something more might be needed in his patch.

thanks, -- Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Now that you said you were able to EV-DO roam before, it might very well be something with the change. It will be interesting to see if a PRL update helps. I guess the step after that would be to try and back out the change and see if you can get your phone to roam again onto EV-DO. (That would give the OP a data point which indicates high liklihood that something more might be needed in his patch.

thanks, -- Bob
    Yeah I wish I knew how. I was surprised I was able to get this done with out having to redo my entire phone. I was kinda going blind... well not kinda pretty literally actually
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    so has anyone figured out why i have the white page? how can i login to root via ubuntu 9.04
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    im running 1.03 btw
    Yeah I wish I knew how. I was surprised I was able to get this done with out having to redo my entire phone. I was kinda going blind... well not kinda pretty literally actually
    I'm just about ready to call it a night. If I get time, I'll look into writing an undo script for you tomorrow. I haven't bothered to root my phone yet, but Linux is really easy for me,

--
    Bob
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast