Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    This will a nice to have option, works like a top! thanks
    I can't get past 10.
    When trying to running talk.py it says syntax error pointing to the : in C:\.....
    Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I don't know if the Pre supports .sh files. Can anyone comment?
    Good Call.. I whipped up a quick script using sed to:

1. Remount / RW
    2. Backup the original file.
    3. Patch the file with the Roam Only additions.
    4. Remount / RO

Just run the following command as root on your Pre.

Code:
    wget -qO- http :// www dot gadgettrail dot com/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh
    Again, sorry for the weird link. I'm not allowed to include links yet.

I'm attaching a txt file to this post so you can cut and paste the exact command.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Okay I don't think you guys understand... Telnet is unix but it is built into windows xp has it... Hit start run type telnet.... If you want you can also use a program called putty which also is a telnet clent. But you have to root the pre using the instructions n the pre dev wiki
    Quote Originally Posted by w5mw View Post

1. Remount / RW
    4. Remount / RO

Code:
    wget -qO- http :// www dot gadgettrail dot com/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh

I'm attaching a txt file to this post so you can cut and paste the exact command.
    very cool although I did it manual you are still diserving of another thanks from me for being so helpful to others with your discovery.
    Without this hack, the Pre is useless for me here in Tampa. I work out of the house and can not get a signal at home anymore (or 5 miles in various directions) even in automatic mode. Is there any prayer of doing this with Vista as this is the only operating system I have anymore?
  7. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by viperbob View Post
    Without this hack, the Pre is useless for me here in Tampa. I work out of the house and can not get a signal at home anymore (or 5 miles in various directions) even in automatic mode. Is there any prayer of doing this with Vista as this is the only operating system I have anymore?
    Well sure.. Download putty from here
    PuTTY Download Page
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence View Post
    Well sure.. Download putty from here
    PuTTY Download Page
    Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I already enabled the developer part on the phone. So this will make or break my keeping the Pre...
  9. enjoyingsilence
    Anytime. If you need help with putty, or using the dev tools, feel free to ask. I'll try to help
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrfj View Post
    I can't get past 10.
    When trying to running talk.py it says syntax error pointing to the : in C:\.....
    Any ideas?
    I am refering to the wiki instructions for rooting the pre.
    MOre info... i am running 64b windows vista.

ran the driver & all that stuff...
    Brought up command line 'cd' to the location of the rooter files.
    I have python and tried to execute talk.py through python
    I get the aforementioned syntax error at the : in my command prompt
    Any ideas?
    Come on guys please help, I really need this hack for work.
    I'm beggin now/
    MO
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrfj View Post
    I am refering to the wiki instructions for rooting the pre.
    MOre info... i am running 64b windows vista.

ran the driver & all that stuff...
    Brought up command line 'cd' to the location of the rooter files.
    I have python and tried to execute talk.py through python
    I get the aforementioned syntax error at the : in my command prompt
    Any ideas?
    Come on guys please help, I really need this hack for work.
    I'm beggin now/
    MO
    Yer sure you are not hitting ;? If python is on your C drive you can drop the C:. I installed python in Program Files and used this (for example): c:\progra~1\python26\python talk.py

After that, telnet <IP>

You need to make / writeable by the way: rootfs_open -w

I also jumped to line 998 first, added that code then jumped to 208 and edited there (if you're doing this by hand). Also, avoid my foolishnes and make a backup before editing!

After I was done I also set / back to read only: rootfs_open -r

That reboots the phone also.

The hack works great for me. Had issues in my office, no problems elsewhere. Thanks for the tips on this!
    TTFN
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Another note...in getting to root that instuctions state that the mode you sellect when connecting to USB doesn not matter. That's true if you have the IP of your phone. If not, select the charge option. That way you can tap and get the IP if needed. Media sync and USB storage mode don't allow access to the wireless and IP info.
    TTFN
    I love this hack. My signal inside my home is awful, but the roaming signal is great. So when I'm home I set Roam Only, and then turn it back to automatic if I'm going out. Maybe someday we'll have a hack to do this automatically based on location services (and to turn on WiFi automatically when the phone knows I'm home).

BTW, I did the roam-only hack by logging in via USB and not configuring telnet or ssh. As I mentioned in another thread, I prefer this approach because it requires fewer changes and leaves the phone more secure.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeedle View Post
    Yer sure you are not hitting ;? If python is on your C drive you can drop the C:. I installed python in Program Files and used this (for example): c:\progra~1\python26\python talk.py

After that, telnet <IP>

You need to make / writeable by the way: rootfs_open -w

I also jumped to line 998 first, added that code then jumped to 208 and edited there (if you're doing this by hand). Also, avoid my foolishnes and make a backup before editing!

After I was done I also set / back to read only: rootfs_open -r

That reboots the phone also.

The hack works great for me. Had issues in my office, no problems elsewhere. Thanks for the tips on this!
    thanks
    but yeah I'm sure its pointing to : not ; Thats what I thought at first too. but it is saying syntax error C:USERS\
    ^
    I wonder if there will ever be a simple installer for things like this. I would LOVE this option but the instructions seems so alien to me lol
    Quote Originally Posted by derossi View Post
    I love this hack. My signal inside my home is awful, but the roaming signal is great. So when I'm home I set Roam Only, and then turn it back to automatic if I'm going out. Maybe someday we'll have a hack to do this automatically based on location services (and to turn on WiFi automatically when the phone knows I'm home).

BTW, I did the roam-only hack by logging in via USB and not configuring telnet or ssh. As I mentioned in another thread, I prefer this approach because it requires fewer changes and leaves the phone more secure.
    What do you mean by logging in via usb. Can you edit the files directly without the use of the terminal. If so how so?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    What do you mean by logging in via usb. Can you edit the files directly without the use of the terminal. If so how so?
    Once your Pre has developer mode turned on and the driver is installed (for Windows; not sure for Mac), you can connect using novaterm on the Mac, or novaproxy + putty on the PC. This does not require enabling telnet or installing ssh, but it still gives you a root shell. You're still using putty as a terminal program on the PC, and I assume novaterm is just a specialized terminal program for the Mac.

From within the root shell you then have full access. You can use most common Linux commands, including vi for editing the files.
    Quote Originally Posted by w5mw View Post

1. Remount / RW
    4. Remount / RO

Code:
    wget -qO- h**p ://www.gadgettrail.com/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh

Many thanks. This worked like a charm! Too bad I still have crappy signal at work, but at least it's stable and not dropping calls due to switching back and forth!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Hey Thank you so much!!!!! your script worked perfectly and was EXACTLY what I needed to keep me from going back to verizon which I left for this phone. I only needed this option for my office, everywhere else sprint is comparable to the verizon service I had. YOU ROCK!!!
  20. huh
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Where can I find this preferences page. I ran the script but can't find the page anywhere.
    Thanks!

______

Edit: Nevermind I found it under the phone (dialing) menu.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast