Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by w5mw View Post
    These Instructions require you to have access to a Linux system. Maybe somebody else can give instructions for Windows/Mac.

1. Get the patch file from www dot gadgettrail dot com /pre/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$roam$.$patch$ $and$ $save$ $it$ $in$ /$var$/$tmp$.
    (Mods can you please fix this link so it displays correctly?)
    2. Login as root on the Pre.
    3. Execute the following on the Pre as root:
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs /$media$/$internal$/$preflist$-$assistant$.$js$
    4. Switch to USB Drive mode on the Pre and connect to your Linux system.
    5. Copy preflist-assistant.jsjsjs $from$ $the$ $Pre$ $USB$ $Drive$ $to$ /$var$/$tmp$ $on$ $the$ $Linux$ $system$.
    6. Execute the following commands (assumes you have patch installed):
    cd /var/tmp; patch preflist-assistant.jsjsjs &$lt$; $preflist$-$assistant$.$js$.$roam$.$patch$
    7. Copy the new /var/tmp/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs $to$ $preflist$-$assistant$.$js$.$new$ $on$ $the$ $USB$ $Drive$ $on$ $the$ $Pre$.
    8. Leave USB Drive mode.
    9. Login as root on the Pre again.
    10. Execute the following as root on the Pre:
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$phoneprefs$/$app$/$controllers$/$preflist$-$assistant$.$js$.$backup$
    cp /media/internal/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$new$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$phoneprefs$/$app$/$controllers$/$preflist$-$assistant$.$js$

Once you completely exit the phone app and reload it, you should have a "Roam Only" option in the preferences.
    Cant i just connect directly into the pre via telnet and edit the code myself rather then patch? seems to be easier and faster. my problem is i dont understand what i have to editwhat lines to and and subtract.
    Okay.. Telnet in as root and edit the file as follows:

#Add a comma to the end of line 208
    Before: {label : $L("Automatic"),value: "any"}
    After: {label : $L("Automatic"),value: "any"},

#Append the following directly after line 208
    {label : "Roam Only",value: "roamonly"}

#Append the following directly after line 998
    else if(payload.extended.mode == 'roamonly') {
    this.voiceRoamingModel.currentVoiceRoaming = "roamonly";
    $('dataroamingrow').show();
    $('voiceRoamingRow').removeClassName('last');
    }
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Pullingj: Sorry about that. I must have misread your post this morning. Are you 100% sure you have the patch inputted correctly? I only ask because you said you hand edited the file. The behavior you are describing is the reason I added the else_if statement for "roamonly". Before I added it the the file, I had the same results as you. After I added it, I haven't had that problem.
    As discussed on IRC, I had a typo. Thanks for your help! maybe you can add the Roman network someday?
    #Append the following directly after line 998
    else if(payload.extended.mode == 'roamonly') {
    this.voiceRoamingModel.currentVoiceRoaming = "roamonly";
    $('dataroamingrow').show();
    $('voiceRoamingRow').removeClassName('last');
    }
    Correct me if i am wrong but you mean 999? after the bracket right? because thats what it looks like in the patch file

Edit:
    Ha nevermind i know why it was 999 because i added a line up on top. haha
    Last edited by jack87; 06/15/2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Oops 998
    PS another nice thing about roam only is when you are traveling and it keeps searching for a sprint signal as its roaming and that kills on battery so this way its only set to roam and wont bother with looking for a sprint signal...

PSS i got it.. as i stared at the patch file it slowly started making sense.

PSSS someone should post this on the wiki
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    can you explain why you would want Roam only?
    When you are far far away from the SPRINT network on a beach or mountains or middle of nowhere places , you would want to put it in ROAM ONLY so that it can get the super duper Verizon signal.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    PS another nice thing about roam only is when you are traveling and it keeps searching for a sprint signal as its roaming and that kills on battery so this way its only set to roam and wont bother with looking for a sprint signal...

PSS i got it.. as i stared at the patch file it slowly started making sense.

PSSS someone should post this on the wiki
    Actually i am not sure we wanna put this on their seeing as sprint/palm has already warned about tethering. My guess is they might not be super pleased about this.
    Also once you get the whole patch system down its super simple. I just copied the jsjsjs $file$ $and$ $the$ $patch$ $to$ $my$ $pc$ ($ubuntu$) $and$ $installed$ $the$ $patch$ $and$ $then$ $threw$ $it$ $back$ $on$. $I$ $like$ $patch$ $files$ $a$ $lot$ $especially$ $when$ $lots$ $of$ $changes$ $are$ $made$($not$ $the$ $case$ $here$ $but$ $still$ $nice$)
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    hello,

I followed all the instructions..then when i try to execute the last 2 commands it gives me: cannot create xxxx Read-only file system.. what did i do wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    Actually i am not sure we wanna put this on their seeing as sprint/palm has already warned about tethering. My guess is they might not be super pleased about this.
    Also once you get the whole patch system down its super simple. I just copied the jsjsjs $file$ $and$ $the$ $patch$ $to$ $my$ $pc$ ($ubuntu$) $and$ $installed$ $the$ $patch$ $and$ $then$ $threw$ $it$ $back$ $on$. $I$ $like$ $patch$ $files$ $a$ $lot$ $especially$ $when$ $lots$ $of$ $changes$ $are$ $made$($not$ $the$ $case$ $here$ $but$ $still$ $nice$)
    you got a point maybe this just isnt a wiki item. anynthing that may potentially cost them money they freak out although we pay for it with our everything plan... lame. haha. as for patch i just dont know how to run them i dont have ubuntu installed anymore on any of my computers... but i am learning how to read the patch files
    Quote Originally Posted by vapostol View Post
    hello,

I followed all the instructions..then when i try to execute the last 2 commands it gives me: cannot create xxxx Read-only file system.. what did i do wrong?
    when you log into root first thing you want to do is run this command.

mount -n -o remount,rw /

then when you are done with your edit type

:wq

and then hit enter and you should be set..

note i am assuming you are running it through telnet root as i was doing.. if you are trying to patch it i have no idea haha
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    thanks so much jack i got it it works! this is great!
    Quote Originally Posted by vapostol View Post
    thanks so much jack i got it it works! this is great!
    no problem glad the tip helped. its an awesome feature my old samsun i500 had it.. i dunno if either my 755p or centro had it or not.. but i remember it coming in handy with the i500................ who here remembers the good old i500 one of the first smart phones!
    I'd love to get instructions for this using XP if anyone can provide...
    Wow. I really need to figure this one out. I used a Touch Pro before switching to the Pre and there was a small .cab file that someone created to enable "Roaming Only" setting. I use an Airave at home and it work flawlessly there, but I live many miles away from a stable Sprint signal that I used to make my Touch Pro roam while I was on my way home. Now I have a 20 minute gap on my way home with little to no service from sprint. It causes the phone to switch in and out of roaming so frequently that I think I am missing calls and texts while the phone bounds back and forth from roam to Sprint. I really hope someone may come up with a better way for us common folk to enable this.
    I can get EVDO coverage when my Pre automatically roams in my area. However, when I put the phone into Roam Only mode, my data connection changes to 1x and will not get an EVDO signal. All my other phones can get EVDO access in Roam Only mode so I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the Pre Roam Only setting. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior?
    so i did this and it works....cept when im in my office and i set it to roam only, it doesnt get full bars....

all my coworkers have VZW and AT&T and they get full bars in here....cud it be the phone?
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    ok now im getting better signal, 4 bars usually, but sometimes my phone doesnt even right and people are getting sent straight to vmail....wtf!
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    Is it possible that in the future something like this can be bundled together and be "installed" on the pre? Forgive my ignorance if in fact it is not possible.
    For those of you suffering from signal issues like I am... I figured out how to enable "Roam Only" mode on the Pre. If you have root access on your Pre and know how to use the patch and mount commands in Linux read further.

The file that needs patching is:

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs

My patch file is at the following location. Sorry for the odd link, but I'm apparently too new to post them normally.

www dot gadgettrail dot com /pre/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$roam$.$patch$

There are just a few lines to add/change to enable the roam only option in the phone preferences. Sorry, but I'm not posting the entire modified file due to the Palm Copyright on their portion of the code.

I've tested this on my Pre and it appears to work as intended. However, I am not responsible if you Brick you Pre attempting to enable this feature.
    This would be awesome for me. when I roam I get full evdo 5bar signal but the phone wont stay there. Can someone please give instructions to do this on a windows pc?
    I need this bad!!!!
    Airave at home but at work (hospital) i can't hardly get a signal ever! Unless it switches to roam then I'm golden but it never stays
    Quote Originally Posted by FreePour View Post
    Is it possible that in the future something like this can be bundled together and be "installed" on the pre? Forgive my ignorance if in fact it is not possible.
    I don't know if the Pre supports .sh files. Can anyone comment?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast