Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast
    Fain Thank you for all your help. Works great!!!! Your Awesome
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    One more story of how awesome this hack is.
    I regularly run up to the continental divide here in Colorado to fly
    fast R/C sailplanes and in the past I've always had this problem where
    my phone shows 4 bars for Sprint, but is unable to make a call
    (it can hear multiple towers far away but they can't hear it).
    It drains the battery in only a couple hours while it struggles to
    transmit at high enough power to contact the towers.
    I was up there today, saw it starting to do that on my Pre, switched it to
    Roam-only and got 2-4 bars of digital roaming including 1x data.
    I verified both voice and data worked just fine.
    After 3-4 hours up there, only 15% battery usage. Cool stuff.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by w5mw View Post
    These Instructions require you to have access to a Linux system. Maybe somebody else can give instructions for Windows/Mac.

1. Get the patch file from www dot gadgettrail dot com /pre/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$roam$.$patch$ $and$ $save$ $it$ $in$ /$var$/$tmp$.
    (Mods can you please fix this link so it displays correctly?)
    2. Login as root on the Pre.
    3. Execute the following on the Pre as root:
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs /$media$/$internal$/$preflist$-$assistant$.$js$
    4. Switch to USB Drive mode on the Pre and connect to your Linux system.
    5. Copy preflist-assistant.jsjsjs $from$ $the$ $Pre$ $USB$ $Drive$ $to$ /$var$/$tmp$ $on$ $the$ $Linux$ $system$.
    6. Execute the following commands (assumes you have patch installed):
    cd /var/tmp; patch preflist-assistant.jsjsjs &$lt$; $preflist$-$assistant$.$js$.$roam$.$patch$
    7. Copy the new /var/tmp/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs $to$ $preflist$-$assistant$.$js$.$new$ $on$ $the$ $USB$ $Drive$ $on$ $the$ $Pre$.
    8. Leave USB Drive mode.
    9. Login as root on the Pre again.
    10. Execute the following as root on the Pre:
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$phoneprefs$/$app$/$controllers$/$preflist$-$assistant$.$js$.$backup$
    cp /media/internal/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs.$new$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$phoneprefs$/$app$/$controllers$/$preflist$-$assistant$.$js$

Once you completely exit the phone app and reload it, you should have a "Roam Only" option in the preferences.
    Im so sorry, but im trying to follow these steps. I know he has change the patch for 1.1.0, but im trying to get a clue of what i need to do. For step #2 how do i login as root on the pe?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mommybetts View Post
    Im so sorry, but im trying to follow these steps. I know he has change the patch for 1.1.0, but im trying to get a clue of what i need to do. For step #2 how do i login as root on the pe?
    Install SDK and Novacom drivers, put Pre into developer mode, run
    Novaterm from your computer while connected to your Pre
    Detailed instructions here:
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

ian
    nice job dude. works like a charm
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I have no idea if this is possible, but it would be a great app. Can you set up the "roam-only" option to turn itself on at predetermined GPS coordinates. So when I come home (where my reception is really sketchy) the roam-only turns itself on.

Also, a nice addition to this would be to turn wifi on and off with the roam-only as well. Because the data transfer on roaming is super slow.

It would be nice to not have to turn on roaming every time I come home, but it is such a great feature. I can finally talk while sitting on my bed!!!

Thank you very much for this...It really works great
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I have no idea if this is possible, but it would be a great app. Can you set up the "roam-only" option to turn itself on at predetermined GPS coordinates. So when I come home (where my reception is really sketchy) the roam-only turns itself on.

Also, a nice addition to this would be to turn wifi on and off with the roam-only as well. Because the data transfer on roaming is super slow.

It would be nice to not have to turn on roaming every time I come home, but it is such a great feature. I can finally talk while sitting on my bed!!!

Thank you very much for this...It really works great
    Great idea, i was thinking of the same thing
    I installed the roam only patch a few weeks ago. This was before the web os tweak was available.

I used webos to install the tweak while I had the patch. Then my phone preferences screen was just showing a white screen. I disabled the tweak and then the preference screen worked again, but the roam only patch was no longer working. I tried installing the tweak again but it just showed a white screen.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    i also installed a roam only patch when 1.1 just came out...any info on how to reverse this before 1.2 would be awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsaha View Post
    i also installed a roam only patch when 1.1 just came out...any info on how to reverse this before 1.2 would be awesome
    I also installed this and automatically installed 1.2, now it does not work...if I use that Roam only Toggle hack..I loose network connectivity all together.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmboy View Post
    I also installed this and automatically installed 1.2, now it does not work...if I use that Roam only Toggle hack..I loose network connectivity all together.
    I installed after the 1.2 update and it will not work ( ROAM ), searches for signal
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I installed after the 1.2 update and it will not work ( ROAM ), searches for signal
    Restart your phone. That should get the signal back. The Roam Only toggle should work without the patch in 1.2.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsaha View Post
    no need to reverse this hack as 1.2 just over writes it.

Why are you guys installing this hack post 1.1? The OP says do not use in big bold letters???
    Every one, use this instead http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ost-1-1-a.html

If the patch you applied did not work Try to restore it if the patch made a back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Restart your phone. That should get the signal back. The Roam Only toggle should work without the patch in 1.2.
    Ive rebooted the phone several times , uninstalled and reinstalled the roam button and the roam patch.............just keeps searching for signal........I should have no problem getting verizon
    Ive rebooted the phone several times , uninstalled and reinstalled the roam button and the roam patch.............just keeps searching for signal........I should have no problem getting verizon
    What's in your phone preferences directory?

Code:
    ls /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/
    Quote Originally Posted by w5mw View Post
    THIS METHOD IS OUTDATED. DO NOT USE POST 1.1
    OK so if its outdated then what is the new method - if there isnt a new method then why not just remove this topic
    Quote Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post
    OK so if its outdated then what is the new method - if there isnt a new method then why not just remove this topic
    here is the new version for this. there are a few other variations floating around as well.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ost-1-1-a.html
    Could someone please help me with steps 4,5,6 I am putting them in novaterm and they don't seem to work, help would be greatly appreciated!
    Please help me, i have downloaded novaterm (i am using windows 7) and I have typed in the code "wget -qO- h**p ://www dot gadgettrail dot com/pre/patch_roam.sh | /bin/sh" (with the . of course) and it just says it's invalid or it can't find the .sh can someone please help me, I am not experienced with Linux at all. Thank you.
    After I do all of that what do I do next?
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast