02/14/2010, 06:20 PM
Audion is a great MP3 editor and it's free at Audion 3 - Download Audion.
And I agree that it's stupid to have calltones available through Sprint, but not ring tones!
In case anyone else ever needs help installing their own ring tones, I'm posting this. I'll be "dumbing this down" in a way I would understand it myself, just so you know!
1. Place your Pre on its Touchstone or on the table/desk next to your computer.
2. Connect your USB cable to your phone. It's the cable that you also use for charging. Just disconnect the cable from that round Palm plug doodad that you plug into the outlet. Then plug the small end of the cable into your Pre (it might already be there if you were charging the phone). Plug the fatter end of the cable into the USB port of your computer.
3. A message will pop up on your phone asking if you want to use the phone as a USB Drive or Just Charge. There's a third option I've never used, so ignore it for now. Click on USB drive. The Pre will then display a USB graphic of sorts. You won't be able to use the phone for anything except a USB drive right now.
4. On your computer, find the Pre icon. If you're on a Mac, just open a Finder window and you'll find the Pre icon under the icons for your computer hard drive and any networks you might be connected to. Open the Pre icon, and you'll find a folder entitled Ringtones. Open this -- you'll find the Pre's preloaded ring tone files in there (Pre, Anticipation, Guitar, Scamper, etc.).
5. On your computer, find the folder where you have stored the ring tone you have made. Drag that ring tone file from your computer into the Pre's Ringtones folder.
6. I strongly recommend backing everything that is in your Pre's drive into a folder onto your computer, just in case! This way, anything you've downloaded will be safe on your computer. Just create a folder on your computer called Palm, then drag things over from your Pre's USB drive into it. SKIP THIS IF IT'S CONFUSING! NOT NECESSARY FOR RING TONES!
7. Drag the Pre's icon into the garbage can/eject icon to disconnect it from your computer.
8. Physically disconnect the USB cable from the computer. You can plug that fat cable end back into the roundish Palm plug and replug it into an outlet to charge your phone now.
9. If you aren't charging, you may wish to disconnect the small cable end from your Pre and put the cable away.
10. Once disconnected, your Palm stops being a USB device and returns to being a phone.
11. Go into Sounds & Ringtones, and touch the ringtone area. It should bring up the list of all those preloaded ring tones (like Pre, Anticipation, etc.) AND your newly added ring tone will be at the bottom of the list. No, it won't be alphabetized, which I find to be a huge pain in the rear. To hear your ringtone, touch the little triangle in the box to the right of the ring tone name. To select the ring tone, touch the name of the ring tone and a blue check mark will appear, and then the screen will go back to the Sounds & Ringtones screen, showing the name of your selected ring tone as the default ring tone for all incoming calls.
I hope this helps!