Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    931 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    It is easy and even fun to make ringtones for your Palm Pre from your existing mp3's.

The Pre can make a ringtone from any song on the Pre. Just tap Launcher>Sounds>Ringtone Add in the lower-left and choose a ringtone.

The problem is the the ringtone will choose the first 30 seconds of the song. You invariably would not choose that part and it is often fading up so the first part can't be heard.

But you can easily choose just the part of the song you want and set the volume you want if you know the tricks!

Here are the key things you need in an audio file editor to do this:
    1. An easy way to cut out just the right section, about 30 seconds long
    2. An easy way to fade-in or fade-out, adjust loudness, etc.
    3. It should be free and easy with no learning curve.

For Windows or Macs, Audacity is all of the above. Here is how easy it is to customize mp3's into good ringtones.

Let's start with an easy one. Take the Older Phone ringtone that came with your Pre and make a new version that is loud enough to hear. The first thing is to find and edit the Older Phone mp3 file.

1. Connect your Palm Pre to your computer as a USB device using the USB cable.
    2. Use Windows Explorer or an equivalent to find files in your Pre.
    3. Open the Subdirectory "Ringtones".
    4. Right click on Older Phones and click copy.
    5. Go to your computer's hard drive, right click a subdirectory you want to use and choose paste.
    6. Open Audacity and choose the Older Phone file to edit.

Editing the file is easy. For instance the installed Pre ringtones are too soft. To make "Older Phone" louder, click Effects>Amplify. Try a level and listen to it. Click Edit>Undo if you donít like it. Try highlighting just sections and making changes. When you are done, save it as "Older Phone 2" so as not to confuse the two.

Safely remove the USB device and you should have a new ringtone, Older Phone 2, on your Pre. Check out your new ringtone on your Palm!

You can do the same with any mp3 that you have on your computer. Just use your audio editor to find your music subdirectory on your computer and choose one of your songs. If you imported your music using iTunes they may be hidden. (Real or others programs let you keep your own music.) You want to clip out about 30 seconds to make your ringtone. Then copy the new ringtone you create using the USB Drive feature above to the Pre ringtones subdirectory.

Have fun! Post any questions.

- Craig
    I downloaded audacity and then it requires me to download the lame file to export as MP3, every place i try to download, i get errors....Am i missing something or saving it as wrong file?
    I have an extra bit of advice for this. To add voice to any ring tone, you can create a very nice text to voice using this link from ATT.

I like the "Audrey . . . . UK English" voice myself, but they're all pretty good.

I like to use song clips for ringtones. Combined with the above link, and a little work, you can get some really good ring tones. Here's an
    example:

I have four daughters. All grown now, most with kids of their own, but they're still "My Girls". So naturally, "My Girl" is a good choice. The intro is recognizable by most folks (c'mon, may as well admit it, we do ringtones to show off!)

So, I took the first few notes, making it get louder as the song progressed. I saved that so I could use it for each of the girls. Over that, I put down a track of the above mentioned English lady saying "Your middle daughter Kris is calling, better answer it". Then at the end, I added a clip of the phrase in the song "Talkin' bout my girl, my girl", and it ends.

Be sure to lower the background volume of the song when the voice over is playing, or it just sounds like a mess.

I did basically the same thing for my wife's ring to "pretty woman", though it took a little more cut and past to get everything just the way I wanted it.

I've had so many people comment on these when they hear them. Most folks are amazed that I have a "phone that talks". I don't know, maybe it's the somewhat computer sounding voice that makes them think it's being generated by the device instead of a recorded sound.

I put both those, and and another here as examples. The last one has no voice, but is just a good example of an easily recognizable song that can be edited into a good ringtone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Is there a share your RINGTONES Thread?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to get ringtones for this phone...?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    If you add music to your Pre through iTunes or Amazon MP3, included in the Pre software, then you should be able to add these music files directly to your ringtones listing.
    Connect your Pre to your computer and select USB mode. Then copy MP3 or WAV files to the ringtones folder.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Thanks
    I found free mp3 ringtones at crackberry.com. Just create an account and download as many as you want...there are hundreds of them I saved them on my computer and transferred them via usb to my pre.
    Audacity is a wonderful tool/ program for anyone who really wants to make a quick and easy ringtone. The learning curve in using the program might for few take a little bit to learn but its manageable. I coming from very basic audio program skills had little trouble in the whole process in making the ringtone for the palm pre with an exception of a silly mistake i did when exporting but other than that its easy to pick up and the best part is that it's free!!! So I highly recommend this as a ringtone maker.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Cool thanks. I need more tones
    another cool free place is

zedge.com

They have tons of tones , but also a couple of really cool tools. You can upload an mp3 file and make a ring tone. The other really fun one, is you can make a text speech ring tone, by typing in some text, and picking a voice, a tone, welcome music, and background music, and it creates an instant mp3 file..
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjg822 View Post
    I found free mp3 ringtones at crackberry.com. Just create an account and download as many as you want...there are hundreds of them I saved them on my computer and transferred them via usb to my pre.
    I will add this to the opening post. Thanks!

- Craig
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    another cool free place is

zedge.com

They have tons of tones , but also a couple of really cool tools. You can upload an mp3 file and make a ring tone. The other really fun one, is you can make a text speech ring tone, by typing in some text, and picking a voice, a tone, welcome music, and background music, and it creates an instant mp3 file..
    I will add that to the OP too!

Thanks,

Craig
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Hello all i am a former Blackberry user and just found out that if you go to Crackberry.com and register as a user you can download a crapload of ringtones for free. Heres what you do. Go to the free download ringtones section and search for the ringtones you want. It gives you the option to either email it to you or download to your desktop. Do not email it does not work. You must download to your desktop then open it with itunes or any other media player. ps i still have the old itunes and i refuse to update do to the current pre restrictions. this may not work if you have updated your itunes software. N-e-ways next drag and drop it from itunes and move to desktop, then plug in your pre select usb option and drag the ringtone from your desktop and drop it in your ringtone folder. close out the pre and wallah its should be on your pre. This option may already be known about but i just wanted to throw it out there for those who did not know about it.

Hope this helps
    Leonard Araiza

Do today what others won't so you can have tomorrow what others don't!
    Nice but you could easily make your own. Or what I do is use zedge.net since Im lazy. Good find though.
  16.    #56  
    Welcome to PreCentral!

Getting and making ringtones is an important part of the Tips and Tricks.

The Crackberry ringtones are included. There is more detail in the Make Your Own Ringtones thread.

In addition, the Search function on PreCentral is the latest generation and really good for finding these and other threads.

- Craig
    I am sorry but no matter the tricks I have attempted while also using Safai, IE8, or Firefox I cannot get Lame to down load. Can someone suggest a solution?
    Myxer.com
    Thank you mrphil1914, will try Myxer.com
    Spent 10 minutes per attempt trying to upload an mp3 to myxer.com. Does anyone have any idea how to get Lame down loaded. I have tried differnt tricks and also tried downloading it with IE8, Firefox and Safari with no result?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast