Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Okay, it looks like I AM an *****--I finally noticed the little icon (musical note and + sign inside a circle) at the lower left corner of the Sounds and Ringtones page. I guessed it meant "add a song," so I clicked it. Lo and behold, up came my music library, I clicked on the ringtone I created and voila--now I have it. (I had that particular tone for three years, and was used to hearing it, not some weird synthesized sound). All is well, I am a moron, I apologize profusely, and so to bed.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSandy View Post
    Okay, it looks like I AM an *****--I finally noticed the little icon (musical note and + sign inside a circle) at the lower left corner of the Sounds and Ringtones page. I guessed it meant "add a song," so I clicked it. Lo and behold, up came my music library, I clicked on the ringtone I created and voila--now I have it. (I had that particular tone for three years, and was used to hearing it, not some weird synthesized sound). All is well, I am a moron, I apologize profusely, and so to bed.
    Sandy,

No apology needed!

I added a note in the instructions:
    Then copy the new ringtone you create using the USB Drive feature above to the Pre ringtones subdirectory.

It was not showing up in ringtone because you had not put it there. When you said add ringtone, it imported it and created a copy in ringtones.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    If any of you are familiar with iRinger that works to create mp3 ringotones for the pre as well just drag the newly created ringtone into the pre via USB mode and your good to go
    Why not run Classic from the App catalog on the pre and just use Minitones? That program is great for trimming songs for ringtones.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    In Audacity, is it possible to fade into and out of a song for a ringer? I tried looking for it, but was unable to find it in there.

Just wondering.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kona2day View Post
    In Audacity, is it possible to fade into and out of a song for a ringer? I tried looking for it, but was unable to find it in there.

Just wondering.
    Drag to select where and how long you want the fade to be. Click on EFFECT and select FADE IN or FADE OUT.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjt82 View Post
    If any of you are familiar with iRinger that works to create mp3 ringotones for the pre as well just drag the newly created ringtone into the pre via USB mode and your good to go

iRinger is a cool application, but how do you get it to make mp3 files? I get mr4 files.

thanks.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    You can also just go through iTunes instead of using some other music editing program.

1. Choose the song you want (obviously it can't be a DRM protected song from iTunes Music Store)
    2. Find the part of the song you want you use (30 seconds is probably the longest it will ring for, so find a 30 second part of the song), remember the start time, and the end time for this part.
    3. Right click the song file, select get info.
    4. Go to the options tab.
    5. Type in the start and end times for the part you want, select OK or Done.
    6. Right click the song again and select "convert song to...(AAC, MP3, WAV, etc) You can go to iTunes preferences, and change the format it imports CD's from, this will change the way it converts the song. I leave it on MP3, 128Kbps, sounds great on the pre and doesn't take up too much space.
    7. Convert the song, and drag the file either to your music folder or ringtones on the pre.
    8. Make sure to go back to the original song, and change the start and end times back to normal, otherwise it'll continue to only play that 30 seconds.

It sounds complicated, but once you get the hang of it its very easy, and it's nice because it doesn't require any other software to do. Plus since the Pre Syncs with iTunes, you can do it all from one application if you like.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    see the reply i posted in this thread on July 1st, that should help.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSandy View Post
    I tried all the tricks in this thread (Audacity, GarageBand), to no avail, and finally had to use mp3Trimmer to cut a 30 sec. snippet of a song that I had in iTunes and saved it as a new song and then a new playlist which I synced via Missing Sync to my Pre. I then went to the Help app on my Pre and clicked on "How do I select a song as my ringtone." It is of no use whatsoever--it says to open Sounds & Ringtones, select the current ringtone, then click on a song to make it the current ringtone. But when I go into my Music folder and click on the snippet I synced, it just plays and then moves on to the next song! Now, either I am an ***** or the Help app blows big time.

PLEASE HELP ME AND WALK ME THROUGH THIS STEP-BY-STEP!!! Sorry for shouting, but I have been at this for three hours and cannot get it right! (All this started when the guy at the Sprint Store, who'd assured me he could get all the data from my old Samsung phone into the Pre, tried and found that Sprint and/or Palm hadn't worked out that program yet). And apparently the geniuses at Palm haven't figured out how to allow users to buy third-party ringtones--you can buy "call tones" for your callers to hear instead of ringing when they call you, (the stupidest idea I ever heard of, sort of cellular music-on-hold) but not ringtones!!!!

As I said, HELP!!!!!!!

See my post above
    the first 30 seconds of Fueled by Anthrax, ***** Sugar by Kittie, and Sinister Rouge from ad Religion make bad add ringtones. No need to chop them up, unless your just not into that music.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I've been using the iTunes method for a while now and have found it to be easiest. Was going to post, but jlgraham did so yesterday. Just about everybody has iTunes, whether on Windows or Mac, so most won't have to download another program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlgraham View Post
    You can also just go through iTunes instead of using some other music editing program.

1. Choose the song you want (obviously it can't be a DRM protected song from iTunes Music Store)
    2. Find the part of the song you want you use (30 seconds is probably the longest it will ring for, so find a 30 second part of the song), remember the start time, and the end time for this part.
    3. Right click the song file, select get info.
    4. Go to the options tab.
    5. Type in the start and end times for the part you want, select OK or Done.
    6. Right click the song again and select "convert song to...(AAC, MP3, WAV, etc) You can go to iTunes preferences, and change the format it imports CD's from, this will change the way it converts the song. I leave it on MP3, 128Kbps, sounds great on the pre and doesn't take up too much space.
    7. Convert the song, and drag the file either to your music folder or ringtones on the pre.
    8. Make sure to go back to the original song, and change the start and end times back to normal, otherwise it'll continue to only play that 30 seconds.

It sounds complicated, but once you get the hang of it its very easy, and it's nice because it doesn't require any other software to do. Plus since the Pre Syncs with iTunes, you can do it all from one application if you like.
    Did everything u said, but there was no option by #6 to convert song to...

All i get on song file is ID3 tags and rating and info
    On Audacity, I seem to be having problems with saving the "cut" version. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    On Audacity, I seem to be having problems with saving the "cut" version. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....
    Highlight the section to be saved.
    Use EDIT->Trim to cut out the rest of the file
    Use FILE->EXPORT AS MP3 and save the new file
    On using iTunes, for the "convert" step, could you explain that better? Is that the "convert ID3 tags"? If so, what version should I choose? Sorry for these basic questions, never used these programs before (grrrrrrrrrrrrr). I have shortened the song to the segment that I want for my ringtone, but am stuck at this point. By the way, does it have to be downloaded from iTunes for this to work properly here?
    Okay...THANKS!!!!!....that worked on audacity....now....how would I make a "loop" of the part I cut?
    EXCELLENT....figured out how to do the "loop", just do "repeat". Worked great.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    EXCELLENT....figured out how to do the "loop", just do "repeat". Worked great.
    Highlight the part you want to repeat and then use the EFFECT->Repeat option. You may want to record slightly longer at the end and use the EDIT->Silence to add the quiet time in the middle.
    I am posting this...
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast