Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok so after some debate... if you are currently having issues a good way to try and "re-calibrate" your phones battery meter is to Let your phone battery get pretty low... then put it on the USB charger (NOT touchstone) and let it fully charge overnight. Try it once or twice

From DougB541's post:
    Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life

2. Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled"), but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any electronic charge monitor (e.g. a battery meter). This allows the monitoring electronics to more accurately estimate battery charge.[27] This has nothing to do with the memory effect.

again it's not good to do this every night... BUT if you are having issues with battery give this a shot to hopefully recalibrate the battery meter. Please NOTE This recycle is to calibrate the Palm Pre's Battery Meter... NOT the battery.

Also from firefinder24's looking up the Pre manual

�� Charge your phone whenever you can. Charge it overnight. The battery has a much
    longer useful life when it is topped off frequently than when it is charged after it is fully
    drained.

Again if you are having issues give the drain and FULL 8+ hour charge a shot.. but doing this alot may hurt battery. But as much as we use these phone i have a feeling alot of people will constantly run the battery low(myself included)

Things that May cause Battery Drain - Also see firefinder24 post #17 from what is in the manual

Poor Reception in house = Phone works really hard to get a signal and drain battery.

Hotmail = dead battery.. something is up with hotmail that the phone keeps pinging it or constantly connecting to it. get rid of it... or open a gmail account and there is a "hotmail porting" feature.

with wi_fi on ALL DAY in my house and the phone just sitting there... from 8am to 11pm i had 47% battery with mild use.. Wi-Fi doesn't eat the battery that bad. Again that was on a sunday with very little use.

This is how these batteries are now... My blackberry storm only lasted a few hours at first.. and i learned this the hard way. If you use it alot it will drain the battery pretty quickly, all smartphones are like that now.. Same with my Blackberry Storm.. if i just read emails and take a few calls.. it will last 2 days with little use.

We know you can't put down the Pre and not touch it... but put your Pre on the charger overnight.. and maybee an extra hour or 2 before you go to bed.
    Last edited by antonio3; 06/16/2009 at 03:18 PM.
    You're not supposed to let these kinds of batteries do that.. Don't mis-inform people like this please.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    You're not supposed to let these kinds of batteries do that.. Don't mis-inform people like this please.
    It doesn't hurt the battery to cycle it from 100% to 0%. It actually can refresh the circuitry of said battery. I believe what you are trying to say is that the Li-ion battery does not need to be seasoned using this method.
    Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life

1. Like many rechargeable batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%–60%

2. Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled"), but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any electronic charge monitor (e.g. a battery meter). This allows the monitoring electronics to more accurately estimate battery charge.[27] This has nothing to do with the memory effect.

3. Li-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4 V to 3.0 V per cell.

4. Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.

5. Li-ion batteries should not be frozen [50] (most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 C; however, this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers).

6. Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[27]

7. When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, consider removing the battery[51] and storing it in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.
    Doug, Great post!
  6.    #6  
    I"m just relaying info that thousands of people learned the hard way on the Blackberry Storm Forums... And by seasoning the battery i'm only saying to do it once or twice.. not every night for months at a time.

"but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any electronic charge monitor (e.g. a battery meter). This allows the monitoring electronics to more accurately estimate battery charge.[27] This has nothing to do with the memory effect. "

Obviously people are having issues with their batteries. I just want people to get a decent charge and a full recycle a few times.. thats all... the above does state that they do need to be "recalibrated". Tons of people Returned their Storms because of the battery. Better then saying that your phone has an obvious issue with battery please return your Unit for a non defective one. It's an option that could possibly help it.
    Last edited by antonio3; 06/10/2009 at 09:51 AM.
    Thanks Antonio.. but this isn't a Blackberry Storm.. Thus shouldn't be treated like one.
    Thanks Antonio.. but this isn't a Blackberry Storm.. Thus shouldn't be treated like one.
    The Blackberry Storm uses Li-ion batteries just like our Pre's. I welcome advice and suggestions from anyone with experience using any phone. Thanks for posting, Antonio.
    But again, It's not the Storm.. And be stubborn all you want, The facts are above.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I did a bunch of face-palms reading this thread. So many finger wavers showing up. It's ok to fully discharge and recharge once in awhile, and is needed every 30 or so charges, like the above post states. I also like to do it with a new battery as well because it seems to really help calibrate the phone's reading of the power.

Also, wifi drains less battery when in use than the radio. Multiple reports confirm this and I can also confirm this. The Pre uses wifi efficiently by sending less power to the radio.
  11.    #11  
    yes the "facts" state that these batteries do need to be recalibrated.. so if you are having battery issues.. PLEASE RECALIBRATE IT!!

NM08SRT8 what do you recommend for people with rapid battery drain?
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I'm sorry but your post does not compute. We're talking about batteries here, the same kind of batteries. We're talking about treating the batteries the same. Your post is "mind-bottling".
    Nickel Metal and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries like to be power cycled. Not Lithion Ion as mentioned above. Always top off lithium ion batteries.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    *just reading*
    Seems like a lot of folks here have an extra transmitter and no receiver.

DougB541's post is good info...and seems to be the best answer in this thread. Everything else appears to be a pissing contest.

<EOT>
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Seems like a lot of folks here have an extra transmitter and no receiver.

DougB541's post is good info...and seems to be the best answer in this thread. Everything else appears to be a pissing contest.

<EOT>

I agree. I just want people with issues to do a full recycle. It doesn't hurt.. and might help
    Page 39 of the Pre Manual:

Basics

Maximizing Battery Life
    Battery life depends on how you use your phone. You can maximize the life of your battery by following a few easy guidelines:

�� Set your screen to turn off automatically after a shorter period of inactivity (see “Set the
    Interval for Turning the Screen Off Automatically” on page187).

�� Keep your battery away from direct sunlight and other sources of heat. Temperatures over 50 degrees Celsius (120 degrees Fahrenheit) can permanently reduce the capacity and
    life span of any lithium-ion battery.

�� As with any mobile phone, if you are in an area with no wireless coverage, your phone
    continues to search for a signal, which consumes power. Turn off your phone if you are
    outside a coverage area (see “Turn Wireless Services Off (Airplane Mode)” on page22).

�� Turn off the Wi-Fi (see “Wi-Fi” on page230), Bluetooth (see “Bluetooth Wireless
    Technology” on page249), and GPS (see “Location Services” on page236) features
    when you are not using them.

�� If you set up an email account in the Email application, set the interval to automatically
    download email to every two hours or less frequently (see “Enter Advanced Account
    Settings” on page206).

�� Lower the screen brightness (see “Change Screen Brightness” on page186).

�� Avoid excessive use of instant messaging (IM). Frequent use of IM can reduce battery life.

�� Charge your phone whenever you can. Charge it overnight. The battery has a much
    longer useful life when it is topped off frequently than when it is charged after it is fully
    drained.

�� You can buy an extra battery as a spare for long plane trips or periods of heavy use. To
    purchase batteries that are compatible with your phone, go to
    palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/index.html.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    so I should charge my battery overnight in the fridge?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    why not!

*jokin*
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    Yes - of all the common kitchen appliances, I think the fridge is the best place to charge your battery.

Other places to charge your new Pre (from most desirable to least):

• Freezer
    • Microwave (not running)
    • Oven
    • Microwave (running)
    • Dishwasher
    • Blendtec TotalBlender (running, of course)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast