Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47
  1. #21  
    I think that hole i drilled in my fridge for the charger cable is really effecting the fridge's performance.
    I see pandas.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    so I should charge my battery overnight in the fridge?
    stangely draining a battery and freezing/ defrosting it gently can sometimes be a way te revive a 'dead' battery..

    I have done this once with a 'dead' battery of my wifes crappy phone and was amazed it worked... but I would not recommend it with a working battery and I believe you could only do it once or twice...

    So there is a nugget of truth in your statement, but lots of buts and if's...

    Best temp to charge a battery would be about 19 Celsius is my guess..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life

    1. Like many rechargeable batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%–60%

    2. Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled"), but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any electronic charge monitor (e.g. a battery meter). This allows the monitoring electronics to more accurately estimate battery charge.[27] This has nothing to do with the memory effect.

    3. Li-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4 V to 3.0 V per cell.

    4. Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.

    5. Li-ion batteries should not be frozen [50] (most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 °C; however, this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers).

    6. Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[27]

    7. When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, consider removing the battery[51] and storing it in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    Page 39 of the Pre Manual:

    Basics

    Maximizing Battery Life
    Battery life depends on how you use your phone. You can maximize the life of your battery by following a few easy guidelines:

    �� Set your screen to turn off automatically after a shorter period of inactivity (see “Set the
    Interval for Turning the Screen Off Automatically” on page187).

    �� Keep your battery away from direct sunlight and other sources of heat. Temperatures over 50 degrees Celsius (120 degrees Fahrenheit) can permanently reduce the capacity and
    life span of any lithium-ion battery.

    �� As with any mobile phone, if you are in an area with no wireless coverage, your phone
    continues to search for a signal, which consumes power. Turn off your phone if you are
    outside a coverage area (see “Turn Wireless Services Off (Airplane Mode)” on page22).

    �� Turn off the Wi-Fi (see “Wi-Fi” on page230), Bluetooth (see “Bluetooth Wireless
    Technology” on page249), and GPS (see “Location Services” on page236) features
    when you are not using them.

    �� If you set up an email account in the Email application, set the interval to automatically
    download email to every two hours or less frequently (see “Enter Advanced Account
    Settings” on page206).

    �� Lower the screen brightness (see “Change Screen Brightness” on page186).

    �� Avoid excessive use of instant messaging (IM). Frequent use of IM can reduce battery life.

    �� Charge your phone whenever you can. Charge it overnight. The battery has a much
    longer useful life when it is topped off frequently than when it is charged after it is fully
    drained.


    �� You can buy an extra battery as a spare for long plane trips or periods of heavy use. To
    purchase batteries that are compatible with your phone, go to
    palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/index.html.
    Based on this info I took the liberty to edit the thread title to avoid confusion..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  4. #24  
    Good edit.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT View Post
    Based on this info I took the liberty to edit the thread title to avoid confusion..
    Thanks to both DougB541 and ToolkiT for their work on this. Their info is right on, and should also be used for LiOn batteries in laptops.

    Keep them as cool as possbile while in use, keep them topped off (BUT NOT OVERCHARGED), and when not using them for a period of a week or more, let them discharge to about 40%, put them in a ziploc and store them in your refrigerator (just don't eat them!)

    Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

    Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  6. #26  
    All I can say is that I removed hotmail & turned off GPS let me phone go down to about 10%, fully charged it and seem to have waaay better battery life.

    My Pre went from 100% to 10% in less than 24hours of mostly idle time , now it's been 19hours with moderate usage and it's still at 60%.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonkeyslayer View Post
    All I can say is that I removed hotmail & turned off GPS let me phone go down to about 10%, fully charged it and seem to have waaay better battery life.

    My Pre went from 100% to 10% in less than 24hours of mostly idle time , now it's been 19hours with moderate usage and it's still at 60%.
    You can prob turn your GPS back on with little battery loss.. i'll look for the poster that found the hotmail issue..

    Also if you still want to use your hotmail.. inside of gmail settings go to "Accounts" tab.. and there is an option to "get mail from other accounts" i haven't tried this myself (don't have hotmail)but will find the post that mentions this.
  8. #28  
    how do I turn roaming off?
  9. #29  
    nvm
  10. k1dude's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #30  
    Ignore NM08SRT8. He's been cruising these forums insulting anyone that has a glitch with the Pre. He's running around antagonizing posters, but the moderators are letting it slide for some reason.
  11.    #31  
    EVERYONE with issues.. plug in your phones till morning!! lol
  12. #32  
    I'm at 53% after 12+ hours off the charger

    Location on, no im, screen birghtness all the way down. Using the phone, texts, and web as usual.

    Yesterday I was at 53% after like 6 hours.

    Last night I let it die completely, plugged it into the wall over night, and woke up this morning. It's been great all day.

    I say give it a try even though they say it doesn't need to 'learn'

    either something happened with the memory and it calibrated itself, or some program was hung and eating up memory until it hard reset from the battery dying.

    Say what you will, but theres a HUGE difference in battery life and tha'ts the only thing i did from yesterday to today.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by pipplo View Post
    I'm at 53% after 12+ hours off the charger

    Location on, no im, screen birghtness all the way down. Using the phone, texts, and web as usual.

    Yesterday I was at 53% after like 6 hours.

    Last night I let it die completely, plugged it into the wall over night, and woke up this morning. It's been great all day.

    I say give it a try even though they say it doesn't need to 'learn'

    either something happened with the memory and it calibrated itself, or some program was hung and eating up memory until it hard reset from the battery dying.

    Say what you will, but theres a HUGE difference in battery life and tha'ts the only thing i did from yesterday to today.
    EXACTLY my story. Yesterday, dead in 8 hours with zero use, idle only. Let it die completely, charged it overnight, and today it still has 68% battery left after 14 hours (!!!!!) of light usage. Something about the battery and power management circuitry may just need calibration. I know it's not the battery chemistry that needs the drain/recharge, so it must be something in the related circuitry.
  14. jjsevier's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #34  
    Some of these "Let the battery die then the next day it was great" could be attributed to the fact that you reset your phone. Most reports here say that you did not open as many apps through the next day and perhaps avoided an app with a memory leak, (I'm looking at you IM, and Spaz). Having a cleaner running os, aka. less possibly leaky apps, may do as much for the battery life as the battery draining and resetting the calibration circuitry.

    I'm not doubting that the circuitry might need a stern talking to but I would also say a good ol fashioned reset doesn't hurt either.

    That all said, I'm draining my battery tonight and giving it a good full charge.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjsevier View Post
    Some of these "Let the battery die then the next day it was great" could be attributed to the fact that you reset your phone. Most reports here say that you did not open as many apps through the next day and perhaps avoided an app with a memory leak, (I'm looking at you IM, and Spaz). Having a cleaner running os, aka. less possibly leaky apps, may do as much for the battery life as the battery draining and resetting the calibration circuitry.

    I'm not doubting that the circuitry might need a stern talking to but I would also say a good ol fashioned reset doesn't hurt either.

    That all said, I'm draining my battery tonight and giving it a good full charge.
    Let us know how it goes! Again.. it's more about recalibrating the battery meter then it is about the actual battery itself.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    I think that hole i drilled in my fridge for the charger cable is really effecting the fridge's performance.
  17. sub150's Avatar
    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    #37  
    I let the Pre down to 24% and then charged it with USB and right now its right on par with my 700p...700p has 94% and Pre has 95%...took of chargers at 7:30
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjsevier View Post
    Some of these "Let the battery die then the next day it was great" could be attributed to the fact that you reset your phone. Most reports here say that you did not open as many apps through the next day and perhaps avoided an app with a memory leak, (I'm looking at you IM, and Spaz). Having a cleaner running os, aka. less possibly leaky apps, may do as much for the battery life as the battery draining and resetting the calibration circuitry.

    I'm not doubting that the circuitry might need a stern talking to but I would also say a good ol fashioned reset doesn't hurt either.

    That all said, I'm draining my battery tonight and giving it a good full charge.
    Hopefully the update that went out last night should mitigate leakiness.
  19. #39  
    I drained the battery till it turned off.. when i plugged it in I got this icon!!
    had to pull the battery to get it to turn on and reset. either way, battery still horrible. Ran the quick test, failed that. returning it this morning.
    check this thread.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nder-pref.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life
    .
    .
    .

    4. Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
    .
    .
    .

    I wonder if the "heat" issue with the Pre will decrease the battery life?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions