Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So my truck has an auxillary jack and I wanted to do a little experimenting with the Pre. So I have a regular old cheap aux cord that plugs into the 3.5mm jack of the pre and I connected the other end into my truck's jack. Hopefully this will help some of you out who were wondering about these things. All the more reasons to own a Pre!!
    • WHEN MAKING CALLS with the jack plugged in and NOT on speaker phone, you can hear the person through all of the speakers in your vehicle!! Oh and I had my phone sitting in the cup holder so I wasn't holding it and the person I was talking to could hear me LOUD AND CLEAR (phone was about 2-3 ft from my mouth). So this is a good option if you don't want to spend the big bucks for a bluetooth car kit system!!

• Sprint Navigation will give your voice turn by turn directions through your speakers EXACTLY the same as my GM gps nav system on my truck!! HUGE plus for those of you that don't want to buy an external gps b/c this is hands down FLAWLESS!! Super fast route recalculations and is an excellent way to save $200-$600 bucks if you're in the market for a portable gps!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    I've been doing this since my Treo 650 and it is really a great use. Also, if you keep a charger hooked up to avoid battery drain, you can stream music through your car stereo. Great for when you get sick of commercial radio.
    thanks for the info, was really interested about this
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Nice! This is one thing (voice calls through speaker jack without special headset) the Instinct didn't do. I will use this feature on my way home tonight!
    Nice idea, thanks for the post
    It'd be nice if it did TV-out.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Just fyi... don't leave your phone plugged into your car charger for more than 45 minutes (on a dead battery). Car chargers are meant to QUICKLY recharge your phone's batt whereas standard at home chargers are a slow charge. If you leave it on for more than 45 minutes, you'll shorten the life of your batt.

.. or so I'm told!
    The Sprint GPS is awesome. My girlfriend had to go somewhere last night. Google Maps and our Garmin GPS we got 6 months ago couldn't find the address, but my Sprint GPS found it instantly. Very impressed!
    For people using FM tuners to listen to your music or make calls, be advised when you use our phone on your car speakers that people in neighboring cars have the ability to hear 1/2 of your conversation, if they happened to be scantuning while near you.
    I plugged my Pre into the aux on my car's stereo and used Spring Navigation and Pandora simultaneously. It worked well, sending Pandora through my car speakers until the Nav software needed to notify me of a turn. The only downside is that Pandora kept playing back in the background... I'd like Pandora to pause when the Nav software chimes in. That way, if I'm listening to books on tape, it would pick up where it stopped instead of missing several seconds. This functionality might work with the Pre's music application, but I haven't loaded up music yet on my Pre. I'll check it out and post back when I know for sure how it operates.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    It'd be nice if it did TV-out.
    Totally. And I wish money would come out of it too.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    good tip, i just tried this and it works really well!
    Grrrr... Makes me very angry that my car doesn't have an input jack.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    No aux input for me either -- just use a cassette adaptor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
    Nice! This is one thing (voice calls through speaker jack without special headset) the Instinct didn't do. I will use this feature on my way home tonight!
    My instinct did this fine though the phone did have to be significantly closer. The GPS worked as well too.
    Yeah, I was listening to Pandora through my Truck's Aux jack for a while yesterday, and I was surprised how great it actually sounded. I may just end up not even bothering importing my iTunes library (already have an iPod Touch for that) and just use the Pre for streaming radio and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    Just fyi... don't leave your phone plugged into your car charger for more than 45 minutes (on a dead battery). Car chargers are meant to QUICKLY recharge your phone's batt whereas standard at home chargers are a slow charge. If you leave it on for more than 45 minutes, you'll shorten the life of your batt.

.. or so I'm told!
    I don't think this is true. The palm car charger outputs .85 amp and the home charger outputs 1 amp. The home charger charges with more juice.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Grrrr... Makes me very angry that my car doesn't have an input jack.
    I have a Toyota 4Runner that didn't have one. I bought an auxiliary audio input interface for about $40 on ebay. It was a quick DIY project but now anything I connect to a standard 3.5mm jack that I ran under my cupholders will play through the factory radio. Basically it makes my radio think it has a CD Changer attached to it instead of an auxilary input. When I shopped for it I noticed they have quite a few of them for different cars and trucks.
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
    Been using FM transmitters with my Treo/Centro which plug into the cigarette lighter socket for some time now. They come with 2.5/3.5 mm adaptors and cost less than $10, are tunable to multiple frequencies and even come with SD/USB readers for your MP3s.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    My car has built in satellite radio, found an adapter that piggy-backs off the connection and has 2 RCA inputs. Hooked up an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to that.

Until now I was using my iPod.

First thing I tried was Pandora and Sprint Navigation simultaneously, works like a champ.

Haven't tried a 'hands fee' call yet.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast