Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Fabulous ideas. Very much appreciated.
    Really great idea. The voice directions arn't loud enough over the exhaust and road noise of my car, just short of keeping it plastered to my ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by wjclint View Post
    I have a Toyota 4Runner that didn't have one. I bought an auxiliary audio input interface for about $40 on ebay. It was a quick DIY project but now anything I connect to a standard 3.5mm jack that I ran under my cupholders will play through the factory radio. Basically it makes my radio think it has a CD Changer attached to it instead of an auxilary input. When I shopped for it I noticed they have quite a few of them for different cars and trucks.
    just buy a new cd player with aux input in the face
    this one's only $59

Amazon.com: Kenwood KDC-138 CD receiver: Electronics
    Telenav really is great. I get so much bang for my buck with sprint.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    Just fyi... don't leave your phone plugged into your car charger for more than 45 minutes (on a dead battery). Car chargers are meant to QUICKLY recharge your phone's batt whereas standard at home chargers are a slow charge. If you leave it on for more than 45 minutes, you'll shorten the life of your batt.

.. or so I'm told!
    How is this possible? USB +5 volts is USB +5 volts, whether it comes from your Palm home charger, your PC or your car...
    I tried the "hands free" idea in my car using a 3.5mm cable into my aux input and while I could hear the person I called just fine...they couldn't hear me at all, even when I tried putting the phone to my ear as if I was making a regular call.

Any ideas why this happened?
    Don't mean to highjack the thread, but if you lose EVDO signal does the navigator continue to work? Does it buffer for a little while? Just curious before I completely give up on purchasing a new GPS
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Make sure the male plug that goes into your Pre has only two black thin rings around the silver plug, not three. Three bands is for speaker and microphone use.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsokolik View Post
    I tried the "hands free" idea in my car using a 3.5mm cable into my aux input and while I could hear the person I called just fine...they couldn't hear me at all, even when I tried putting the phone to my ear as if I was making a regular call.

Any ideas why this happened?
    Make sure the male plug that goes into your Pre has only two black thin rings around the silver plug, not three. Three bands is for speaker and microphone use.
    [/QUOTE][*]Sprint Navigation will give your voice turn by turn directions through your speakers EXACTLY the same as my GM gps nav system on my truck!! HUGE plus for those of you that don't want to buy an external gps b/c this is hands down FLAWLESS!! Super fast route recalculations and is an excellent way to save $200-$600 bucks if you're in the market for a portable gps!!
    [/QUOTE]

I think I'm selling my TomTom on Craigslist
    Last edited by Wiesman2613; 06/08/2009 at 09:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Good ideas. Even better is that I have a USB port on the front of my stereo. It charges the Pre fine and lets me play MP3s from it. I'll have to try my aux jack to see how well the telenav works on it too. I only used the nav once so far and it was a little hard to hear unless I was holding it near my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by aclauson View Post
    I'd like Pandora to pause when the Nav software chimes in. That way, if I'm listening to books on tape, it would pick up where it stopped instead of missing several seconds. This functionality might work with the Pre's music application, but I haven't loaded up music yet on my Pre. I'll check it out and post back when I know for sure how it operates.
    Does the same for music. I agree pausing would be better. Still it's really nice how it lowers the music so you can hear the gps even when your not on the gps app. It's the simple, intelligent things that make this phone so good.
    I checked my cable and it only has 2 black rings on it, but when i'm on a call the other party still can't hear me. I even tried a brand new cable with only 2 rings and the same thing happened. What am I doing wrong?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Mine used to work. I was able to listen through car speakers and talk into the phone and the person would be able to hear me. But now it does not work. I can hear the person through the speakers but they can't hear me. Does anybody know what happened and how to make it work again?
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoliver View Post
    Totally. And I wish money would come out of it too.
    Yea unfortunately the pre only makes money come out of me!
    I used the Sprint GPS Turn-by -Turn today it worked great it even diverted me from an accident and traffic back up on the 710 freeway..
    I plugged it into my cars Aux and heard everything through the speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    Just fyi... don't leave your phone plugged into your car charger for more than 45 minutes (on a dead battery). Car chargers are meant to QUICKLY recharge your phone's batt whereas standard at home chargers are a slow charge. If you leave it on for more than 45 minutes, you'll shorten the life of your batt.

.. or so I'm told!
    you are absolutely correct. a car charger will never stop charging your battery, so even when it's full, it will still attempt to charge at the full 12v power. common side effect is immediate loss of battery life, also the battery gets really hot.

in extreme cases, ive actually seen the batteries expand, it almost looks like the insides have "popped" (from OVER-NIGHT on a car charger).

the non technical way to test this.. lay your battery flat on a flat surface and try to spin it, if it barely moves, its good, if it actually rotates, its bad.

they do make converters if you are in your vehicle a lot, it reduces the power to that of a standard wall plug.
    There are a half-dozen great tips in this thread. It has been moved in with the other tips.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aecky01 View Post
    Don't mean to highjack the thread, but if you lose EVDO signal does the navigator continue to work? Does it buffer for a little while? Just curious before I completely give up on purchasing a new GPS
    I live in an area that doesn't have EVDO, and will vouch that GPS works just fine with the 1x data connection. I can even stream Pandora at the same time... it just takes a little while longer to load the app, so I try to start Pandora at home while still on wifi and then let 1x take over.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsandwich View Post
    you are absolutely correct. a car charger will never stop charging your battery, so even when it's full, it will still attempt to charge at the full 12v power. common side effect is immediate loss of battery life, also the battery gets really hot.
    Please don't spread miss-information. The charger is providing +5V for a start. And it does not matter at all if the +5V continues to be applied after the battery is charged.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast