Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Figured it out, feel alittle dumb now, need to convert the MP4s to MP3s before MP3Gain will recognize it... FML. Does anyone have any free mp4 to mp3 converters that they could recommend?
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 06/08/2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: fixed
    cencom GENIUS!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I used Audacity to create new ringtones, so I just imported the existing ringtones into Audacity, increased the gain (allow clipping) and distill another mp3. Voila. Now I've got 30 of them. Of course, my favs each get their own ringtone so I'll know who I can ignore with little consequence.
    This is no work around, this is "I fixed Palms mistake".
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    This is no work around, this is "I fixed Palms mistake".
    Agreed. I proposed adding it to the bug list, but it doesn't look like it made it into the list's latest update.
    With the mac version I am having trouble setting the volume above 99dB... Anyone else?
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    With the mac version I am having trouble setting the volume above 99dB... Anyone else?
    Haven't tried, but you've got me worried. What happens if the phone rings while you're wearing a headset? Do your ears get blown out?

Maybe the speaker is inherently quiet and pushing MP3 volumes to the max will prove dangerous to our ears.

What's the normal dB level for an MP3, anyway? Is 100dB over the top?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Haven't tried, but you've got me worried. What happens if the phone rings while you're wearing a headset? Do your ears get blown out?

Maybe the speaker is inherently quiet and pushing MP3 volumes to the max will prove dangerous to our ears.

What's the normal dB level for an MP3, anyway? Is 100dB over the top?
    Yes. I had to peel myself off the ceiling while shopping and listening to some MP3's, and then my wife called....YIKES!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    Yes. I had to peel myself off the ceiling while shopping and listening to some MP3's, and then my wife called....YIKES!
    Okay, then we have a serious problem. Upping the dB appears to be the wrong solution.

Or maybe we just need to find a compromize dB. Anyone want to do the experimenting?

(Can we have some other people confirm this, just to be sure this is the problem?)
    Last edited by jtlapp; 06/08/2009 at 11:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Okay, then we have a serious problem. Upping the dB appears to be the wrong solution.

Or maybe we just need to find a compromize dB. Anyone want to do the experimenting?
    I can also think of a software fix. Palm would leave the MP3 volumes at their current levels but pump up the dB sent to the speaker. That way earpiece volumes remain reasonable and only speaker volumes change.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I'm finding that 98dB is the lowest I'm willing to live with, maxing out the ringtone volume in settings. I hope it doesn't blow out my ears.

(The decibel scale is logarithmic, so there's still a big difference between 98dB and 100dB. Oh, and yes, the Mac mp3gain won't go over 99dB.)
    Uuuuummmm.... Does anyone have the original MP3 files? I think I might have messed mine up, and I'm not sure how to fix this other than getting the originals from someone.

If you do have them, could you PM me or post a rapidshare link or something? Thanks!
    Nice, I never use ringer really cause I hate noise, but good work around.
    Quote Originally Posted by cencom14 View Post
    I believe I have found a workaround to increase the ringer volume on the Pre. I discovered that all the built in ringers on the Pre are in the /ringtones folder when looking at the Pre as a USB drive. They are all mp3 files. I used a program called MP3 Gain to analyze the db volume level of each file. The files all pretty much had very low db volume levels around 92db. This explains the low ringtone volumes! I used the program to boost the volume levels of each file to 100db. Viola! All the files are now markedly louder and there is no distortion. The MP3 Gain program can be found here: mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php . I hope this helps people hear their Pre better!
    Thank u for the information

Can you now please give a fix for the keyboard? I wish it were nice like the Pro! I may up end up returning the Pre! I wish the new blackberry would be a world phone!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fried Chicken View Post
    Uuuuummmm.... Does anyone have the original MP3 files? I think I might have messed mine up, and I'm not sure how to fix this other than getting the originals from someone.

If you do have them, could you PM me or post a rapidshare link or something? Thanks!
    Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward, but they'll be the originals, which you can then adjust to your own desired volume -- it's a 10MB zip file, though.
    Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward, but they'll be the originals, which you can then adjust to your own desired volume -- it's a 10MB zip file, though.
    I'm not able to send a PM (need 15 posts... ) But I left a message on your public profile.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Would someone mind confirming that the modified ringtones play extra-loud through the headset when an incoming call comes? My test of this resulted in the speaker ringing and not the headset. I thought someone said that the high-volume ringtone ends up playing deafeningly through the headset. Did I misunderstand? Does this only happen when listening to an MP3 (which I haven't tried)? Thx!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    PreCentral has made the amped-up ringtones available for download (this ZIP).
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    thank you, it is a differents... Now if we can only fix the power of forwarding text, and picture folders. I got naked pictures on my phone that I don't want to see everyday. makes me want more. lol..... Just joking!!!!!
    So where are the "system sounds?" I'd like to turn those up as well while I'm at it, but they don't appear to be files for them? If not, where are they coming from?

Anyone know where the system sounds are?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast