Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Twice now my palm pre has shut down, giving a message of: "Restart Required You are no longer signed in to your Palm Profile on this phone. You need to restart your phone."

Is this normal? Anyone else have this problem? The restart process is pretty long, becasue you need to click the blue check and do the initial set up process, and then the phone has to download all your contacts, etc (though when it builds the contact list it does include changes I made to the contacts). I was browsing the app store during the 1st crash, and the second was while it was charging overnight.

I guess I should return the phone?

(also I noticed the call sound quality of the Pre was not the greatest, compared to Nextel. Not sure if this is normal, or evidence of a possible hardware problem).
    I haven't had this happen. I'd wait and see if it occurs again, and if it does, an exchange might be in order.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    I'm guessing by "restart" the Pre means "restore"? I would recommend doing an erase but it sounds like it's already done that for you. Does your area have any left in stock? An exchange may be the best thing for you.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Hmm. Looks like this problem is sort of unusual. Maybe I'll wait for it to crash once more before taking it back.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Funny story for this one.

I had my lotus, did the wireless back up Friday night in preparation for getting my Pre on Saturday. Got my pre - found out that it won't use sprint's wireless backup.

I tried to send my contacts via bluetooth...found out that was a no go

I manually added about 30 contacts...thank god not a few hundred or anything.

Wiped the old phone, full reset and gave to friend.

Soon there after i was just browing on the web using WiFi and it gave me the same exact Restart Required message.

It restarts and says that I was signed out of the Palm profile and gave me 2 choices. Try again or delete data.

I chose try again. When it got booted up I ended up having to go through the activation process again. Little did I know this erased all my contacts, but not my music or pics.

So all my contacts lost.....

Called Sprint - They couldn't find any of my wireless backup information in the system. My palm profile didn't have my contacts in it either.

So that's just a big fail.... sorry for the diatribe - but i have been in the same situation. I'm glad you got your stuff back.

so just to sum it up - i was on wifi browsing this website - it prompted me to restart.
    i am also having this problem. mine has done this 4 times so far and its annoying as ****. im hoping someone can provide a fix

also are you guys on the EPRP plan like i am? they seemed to have trouble activating my phone when i was at the sprint store because of it. not sure if its related or not.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    No, I didn't have EPRP, since "switched over" to Sprint from Nextel (though of course I know Sprint now owns Nextel now). But your comment does suggest that maybe this problem is associated with switching from one plan or service to another.

I had to turn on my old phone (a motorola i880) yesterday after getting the Pre, to read my contact information, to enter it into the Pre. I noticed that yesterday it said "service restricted" on the i880, while today it says "Transmitter Off." So, apparently some adjustments were being made in my accounts somewhere.

I *hope* therefore that I'm now all set up with a Sprint account now, and that I won't have any more problems like this.

(But the call quality on the Pre still doesn't seem to be Nextel/iden level...)
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I had this problem as well - when we woke up this morning, both of my Pre's demanded a restart. It erased all the changes we had made with no explanation. Sucks.
    Last edited by DrJosh; 06/07/2009 at 03:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I had this problem as well - when we woke up this morning, both of my Pre's demanded a restart. It erased all the changes we had made with no explanation. Sucks.
    This has happened to me 4-5 times already as well! Time to stop by the store tomorrow after work.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    This is still happening on my pre..and it's happening far too many times - i can say almost 7 to 8 times - I will be calling the sprint very soon
    This happened to me with Wifi on and going to App store. I think its a bug related to Wifi use. Also they should include your custom settings in backup restore (lost bookmarks and other minor settings).
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    ***update***

Just called tech support. I have told them of the issue...we walked through a reset of the phone using ##rtn# - and i got my MSL # - i'm pretty stoked for that.

I will keep this thread updated, because after the phone call from sprint, if it happens again they are suggesting I go to the store and get a replacement.
    I guess it cant hurt to try to replace phone, but to me it sounds like a bug that should be fixed using OTA update.
    Those that are experiencing this, have you updated the OS to 1.02 yet? If not, I suggest you do that first.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Those that are experiencing this, have you updated the OS to 1.02 yet? If not, I suggest you do that first.
    The first thing when I got my pre saturday morning was run the update. I don't know this phone without OS 1.02
    well i woke up this morning and all was well! however when i plugged my phone into charge on my work computer it prompted me to restart again

my phone is running the latests update.

also i dont think its related to wifi, mine has been doing this with wifi turned off.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I've also had this problem. It happened three time over the weekend, and once this morning.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Just something to think about - what are you logged into your palm profile with?... mine is my @msn.com account..
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    So, this morning I got my third "restart required" message, and called Sprint. They also led me through a reset using ##rtn#. They say that this factory reset procedure seems to fix the problem. I hope so!

For Andries: I've been logged into Gmail and Facebook. Also, I downloaded and installed 1.02 before my first crash/restart.

I would also note that two out of three times I was forced to reset, I was browsing the app store, and saw a message saying something like "You need a Palm profile to download this app" right before getting the "Restart required" message from the phone (the other time, the phone seemed to have crashed while I was asleep).
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast