Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    My Pre is stuck on a blue screen that says "Signed Out - You are no longer signed in to your Palm Profile on this phone." There are two options on the screen: "Just Restart" and "Erase All Data." No matter which one I choose, when the device reboots, it comes back to the same screen. I tried running WebOS Doctor to reset the device, but it hung at "Checking the System..." After that, I decided to try a remote wipe. One suspicious thing is that when I went into my Palm Profile at http://palm.com/palmprofile, there was no option to do a Remote Wipe. I placed a call with Palm, and they escalated to level 3, and I'm waiting on a call back from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinZ View Post
    My Pre is stuck on a blue screen that says "Signed Out - You are no longer signed in to your Palm Profile on this phone." There are two options on the screen: "Just Restart" and "Erase All Data." No matter which one I choose, when the device reboots, it comes back to the same screen. I tried running WebOS Doctor to reset the device, but it hung at "Checking the System..." After that, I decided to try a remote wipe. One suspicious thing is that when I went into my Palm Profile at http://palm.com/palmprofile, there was no option to do a Remote Wipe. I placed a call with Palm, and they escalated to level 3, and I'm waiting on a call back from them.
    More or less the same issue, I think, JustinZ. I think you did the right thing calling Palm. I am presently on hold with them after NOT receiving any call backs yet from a level 3 yet (or anyone for that matter).

Please keep us posted...

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    JustinZ, et al,

I just logged into both my original Palm Profile and my newer one. The original one had no device listed and, thus, no option to erase. However, my newest profile has my Pre listed with serial number and device ID, and a button to "Erase Device."

Can anyone else with multiple profiles confirm anything similar?
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Props to Palm for responding appropriately and (reasonably--it did take a couple calls) swiftly. New Pre is expected to arrive in 24-48 hours!

I will sleep better tonight...

ME

P.S. I emailed this thread to Palm, so they should be well aware of this issue. However, I would still recommend that anyone having this issue contact Palm directly.
    Mark A. Einersen
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoTreoGurl View Post
    I got my replacement phone yesterday even though the "restart required" problem had not occurred since Friday night.

I'd read this Palm Account Being Mixed Up WIth Another User's Data?! - Synergy (webOS) - Palm Support Forums after seeing it earlier in this thread, but didn't think it applied to me because I'd checked my Pandora settings and it was my own e-mail.

But once I re-setup my new phone, I got an e-mail from another pre owner who was having the same problem and asked if I was too. He got my e-mail address from his Pandora settings!

Has everyone here tried Pandora? Or if Pandora is reading information from the wrong Palm Profile, I imagine it could cause the problem for people who have never used it. (I'm assuming it's a Pandora problem and not a Palm problem, I could be completely wrong...)

At any rate it looks like this problem can be caused by someone else having your profile email address in their Pandora settings, without you having the wrong email in your Pandora settings.
    Hmm. I wonder if I'm the one who emailed you? Yesterday I at last received a reply to the email I to the address I found in Pandora (I just sent a reply to that email a minute ago, which was a gmail address that started with a J and ended with a zero). Small world, maybe?

Anyway, I think anyone who gets the "Restart Required" because "You are logged out of your Palm Profile" message should return the phone asap--there seems to be no way to fix this, short of exchanging the phone, and exchanging solves it completely. Personally, I'm pretty sure that the Pandora issues were symptoms of a deeper problem with the phone--multiple phones perhaps shared some sort of identification number or code that was supposed to be unique? Who knows? I just wish I hadn't spent so much time trying to figure out the problem!
    So I just checked my voicemail (using my wife's phone, of course) and I had a new message from my local Sprint store saying that my replacement Pre was now on hand. And they told me there I'd have to take it back to Best Buy!! Hmmmm? Maybe I should go get it tomorrow? We'll see...
    Mark A. Einersen
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I just talked to Palm support. They're going to FedEx me a replacement, and I'll send them my defective phone. We'll see what happens.
    Back in the saddle, baby!!

I couldn't go another day without a phone and no sign of the replacement from Palm, so off to the Sprint store I went. Turns out I received a reconditioned unit (they have those already??), buy hey, the new one didn't last four hours before it started flaking out on me! Plus, the rep told me that generally recon units re-use the electronics and get a new casing (hopefully she's correct; I have no reason not to believe her). Also, the more we discussed it and the more I reflected on the exchange email I received from Palm, the more I came to think I would be getting a recon from Palm, too (still, we'll see). Anyway, I'm back in the game and very happy/relieved/eager.

Thumbs up to Sprint and Palm for resolving this with good customer service. FWIW, I have been with Sprint for over eights years and have lived/worked/traveled from the far east coast to the far west coast and many points in between, and I can say I have been very pleased with Sprint's service and customer relations. Seems like I hear many people squawk about it in various online forums, but my experience has always been very good.

One more thing, see here for something I learned at the Sprint store.

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Mark,

Glad you got your new phone - you will be freaked out when you don't have to deal with Restart Required....i still sometimes look at mine and go....don't you dare!

I still have had 0 issues and i have ran the phone through so many paces!

Thanks to everyone for the ideas, I'm glad we can just say that it's a phone issue and nothing more *at least i stand by that statement*
    Quote Originally Posted by Andries View Post
    Mark,

Glad you got your new phone - you will be freaked out when you don't have to deal with Restart Required....i still sometimes look at mine and go....don't you dare!
    Thanks for your support and to all of you who processed this issue along with me. I can't say I'm not watching my Pre cautiously, but I do "feel" pretty good right now. When I wake up and it's still running fine, I'll feel even better!

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    Mine's done this now 5 or 6 times and has allowed me to log back in each time, until tonight.... and now I can't log in at all. I'm going to try the advice on this thread and call Palm. I really want to love this phone but the constant resetting is going to drive me to drink. I've updated the OS, backed up manually without it happening, haven't downloaded many apps, it happens regardless of wifi status, etc. It's so frustrating.
    So all worked well yesterday afternoon and last night. Synced with Google, added/modified some calendar events, sent text messages, made a few calls, set up my launcher and wallpaper. Finally I set the Pre alarm for a wake-up this morning.

6:00 a.m. today, alarm goes off as expected and I dismiss the alarm. I hop in the shower and begin getting ready for the day. Just after I got dressed I pressed the Pre power button to check the time and look at my notifications...screen remains off and no response. Open slider....no response. Press buttons frantically...no response. I'm about to cry/explode/chuck it across the room when I remembered yesterday's reset lesson in the Sprint store. So I hold the power button down and reach to begin toggling the Ringer switch when all of the sudden the white Palm logo appears on the black screen (before I even get to toggle the Ringer switch). Huh?? What's going on now??

So I set the device down to grab a few other things thinking the ol' restart cycle was beginning. A few seconds later I looked at he Pre and it was ON and all my settings seemed to be intact. What?? Did I just dream this?? When I went to pick it up I saw I had just missed a call. Called caller back and, after the call, put the device in my pocket. So I walk out the door wondering what just happened. En route to my meeting I send a text and check a few things on the device. All seems well.

Then, halfway through my morning meeting I pick up my Pre to check my notifications and...no response again!! Blank screen! So I pressed the power button several times and opened the slider...nothing. Again, my blood pressure spikes. This time (for no pre-meditated reason), I held the power button for a few seconds and...white Palm logo on black screen. Within a few seconds the Pre was running normal again. So I did my business and used it for several functions over the next couple hours--looked up a website, sent a couple texts, checked my notifications. No problems I could see. So I left the meeting wondering why this had happened twice so far today.

So, after I get home, a head outside to catch a few quick rays, downloaded (for the first time since shortly after I got my first Pre) and fired up Pandora, set an alarm, and drifted off for a few winks. Pandora seemed to work flawlessly and I was soon awakened to my alarm. So I dismiss the alarm and head inside, Pandora still playing. Curious to know if Pandora would play through the Pre's external speaker, I unplugged my headphones. Silent. Tried to adjust volume button. Still silent. "Guess not," I thought and plugged my headphones back in. Still silent (now in my headphones). At this point I discover that Pandora seems to be locked up, so I attempt to close it and suddenly...white Palm logo on black screen. Another "soft" reset? Less than 30 seconds later, all is well again.

So it would seem that I am experiencing soft resets...three times in a little over eight hours. While I'm glad it's not a hard reset/full erase, I am certain this shouldn't be happened as I described. So...anyone else having soft resets with any regularity and, if so, does anything I describe jump out to you as a possible cause?

Hoping for the best......
    Mark A. Einersen
    I've had no problems since getting my new phone until yesterday. I picked up my phone and just had a black screen - couldn't do anything. I pulled the battery and replaced it again and it powered up no problem. All data still intact and no problems since then. Phone had just been sitting on the counter, so no idea what might be causing this. Seems to have just been a one-time thing for me, though...so far anyway.
    Not sure if it matters, but I did realize I still had the phone in DEV mode.
    Forgive my ignorance..."DEV mode"? What mode are you in now?
    Mark A. Einersen
    Developer mode - for hacking...
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post
    Developer mode - for hacking...
    He, he, he...so this is a mode into which YOU put your Pre? So have you "rooted" it? What else can you tell us that we won't remember when we wake up tomorrow?
    Mark A. Einersen
    Yep. Rooted and modified. I've altered it to add call duration to the phone logs (did this with treo and centro as well), added "Roam Only" to the network options, & allow Amazon MP3 download over EVDO amongst some other things... Good stuff.
    Cool. Can you post the EXACT steps you take to do this? I would really like the call duration (BTW, that was a standard feature on both my Treo 650 and 755p) and other stuff. I have looked at the pre dev wiki but not sure I quite understood it. Of course, maybe I wasn't reading carefully. I'm not sure I would proceed or not, but I would like to know exactly how to do so.

Just curious, will rooting have any impact of future OTA updates from Palm/Sprint? For example, what if a future update provides the call duration feature and you already enabled it? Also, can you explain exactly what rooting means, in layman's terms? Thx!

BTW, I had another soft reset this morning. I had made several phone calls and all was well. Then I went to look up a contact and NOTHING! Dead again. I was back up momentarily, but still, what the heck??
    Mark A. Einersen
    I just updated to 1.0.3. Have you updated yet? Maybe palm addressed this issue in the update?