Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    so it really comes down to that we can't peg this down to one situation causing it, because mine has never crashed when viewing the app store....3 hours since reset and still going strong...i'm crossing my fingers
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Mine also seems to be holding up - almost 24 hous since last crash
    how does one reset bacj to factory defaults? i dont want to call sprint
    Just posted this on the Pre Yahoo! Group:

Why do I keep getting a "Restart Required" message accompanied by the following:

"You are no longer signed into your Palm Profile on this phone. You need to
    restart your phone." (Below is a large "Restart Now" button.)

Each time this has happened and I reset, it went through the entire setup
    process, including language, accept term/conditions, and sign-in to Palm
    Profile. The whole process takes about 10 minutes and when I'm done, I'm left
    with no data even though I am signed into my profile.

Is this normal? Am I missing something? FWIW, this just happened moments ago
    (haven't reset yet) following significant use today and even several phone calls
    over the past few hours. I just completed the last call about 20 minute ago and
    the device has just been sitting next to me on my desk.

What burns me is that I seem to have no data after the reset. Fortunately I can manually log back into my various calendar/contact accounts.

So it sounds like a factory reset through Sprint solves the problem?

Thanks!
    Mark
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Hmm. Just had reset number 4, *after* doing the factory reset this afternoon (and again it reset after I clicked on an app in the app store).

My theory now, thinking back to when I bought the phone on Saturday, is that my account may have been improperly activated or set up when switching from Nextel: in central IL, Sprint and Nextel are operated separately, and I think when I bought the Pre that the Sprint salesperson skipped the step of calling Nextel to get permission to switch me (the phone number she called to get permission just put her on hold, and her co-worker told her to skip the step on the computer). So, I'm thinking that something might still need to be changed at Nextel for this acct. to work properly.

Anyway, I'll head into my local sprint store tomorrow and see about fixing this or exchanging the phone.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Another update: called Sprint, who transferred me to Palm. The Palm tech suspected that the problem might have been caused by an app, and suggested that I try uninstalling the apps to see if that would fix the problem. They suggested that I could then install them again one-at-a-time, to see which caused the problem. They also suggested that software updates to apps or the OS might fix this.

I wish they had a clearer idea of the source of the problem.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Alright - so I made it 24 hours before BAM - restart required again. Called tech support, they said i should go exchang it. Called around - none to be foud.

Called up palm - they really didn't have any idea besides what frog messaged about the apps installations. So here is what i plan on doing:

I have logged into my palm profile, wrote down my contacts...i'm gonna full reset it tonight...and create a new palm profile and se if this will be phone related or palm profile related....

all in all this sucks...but damn this phone is awesome
    Add me to the list of users who were "No longer logged into your Palm Profile" and was forced to reset my phone. Why the h**l does the phone care if I'm logged into my profile or not?

Lost all my browser bookmarks that I had carefully set up. Apparently they aren't backed up. But more importantly, I started entering work tasks into the task list this morning and they are all gone too! D*m*.

This phone might not be ready for prime time. I might have to downgrade it to iPhone usability status: browsing, music player, texting. But no work stuff.
    i have had at least eight of the not logged in/restart messages since saturday and made several calls to palm. twice i was browsing apps and once it happened overnight and the other few have been random. i'm supposed to observe for another 24 hours, according to the phone support guy, call back if it re-occurs and next try a hard reset. it is a pain so i am hoping to avoid that step as they can't guarantee i won't need to exchange my phone. i like the phone but find this scenario more than annoying and too time and attention consuming..
    Think it could just be a glitch on Palms side? With the server that holds this info? With so many phones being sold.. it could be overloading at times which could cause this?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Think it could just be a glitch on Palms side? With the server that holds this info? With so many phones being sold.. it could be overloading at times which could cause this?
    Could very well be. I'm going to do the following. I setup my palm pre profile with a new address. I will install 1 app every 24 hours, to see if it's app related. First up is pandora!
    I had the same issue ... "You are no longer signed in to your Palm Profile on this phone. You need to restart your phone." It happened First thing Monday Morning as soon as the phone woke up (I unplugged it from charger)and I went through the whole process, logged back in to my profile. All my bookmarks and other setting changes I'd made were gone.

So later that day I decided to redo my settings, move some icons around, set up a wall paper again then do a backup. Thinking that if it happened again, I'd get the the settings back. Instead, the backup caused the whole "you are no longer signed in..." restart. Arg, tried it one more time, same thing. Then it happened once more looking at the app catalog.

This morning as soon as the phone woke up (no charger this time, I woke it up with the top right button) same thing. I decided to make a new profile when it asked. I didn't add any e-mail, calander, contacts at all. It's been fine all day so far... I'll check back in in the morning.
    Has anyone else tried the "Quick Tests" in Device Info, More Info (near the bottom of the page), Preferences, Quick Tests... .

The first time I tried it, it said WiFi failed, the second time everything was ok.

Update, I just tried it again and WiFi failed again.
    Last edited by LocoTreoGurl; 06/09/2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: update
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoTreoGurl View Post
    Has anyone else tried the "Quick Tests" in Device Info, More Info (near the bottom of the page), Preferences, Quick Tests... .

The first time I tried it, it said WiFi failed, the second time everything was ok.

Update, I just tried it again and WiFi failed again.
    i just started having browser issues this afternoon. i'm going to try this now.
    thanks for the tip.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Another piece of advice if you are having this problem: double check and make sure you received the email from Palm to validate you palm account, and that you clicked on the link in that email and filled out the information on Palm's website (security question, where you bought your Pre, etc). Maybe this will help?
    Check out this P|C post from today: precentral.net/slider-crashes-inspire-macgyver-solution (sorry I couldn't link to it; forum says I must have 10 posts before I can include a link[!]).

After checking my battery fit, I do think this may be what's been causing my resets (including yet another one today). I am trying the recommended solution to see if it works. Maybe it'll work for you?

HTH,
    ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Well upon creating a new palm profile and install only 1 app. Pandora. I got the same restart required message. I'm just really gonna bide my time and call everyday till i'm able to get a new phone.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
    Another piece of advice if you are having this problem: double check and make sure you received the email from Palm to validate you palm account, and that you clicked on the link in that email and filled out the information on Palm's website (security question, where you bought your Pre, etc). Maybe this will help?
    I have done this for both palm profiles that i have now tested and failed on both...how's everyone else coming along?
    im gonna just try and swap my phone tomorrow at the store, i dont want to deal with this **** anymore.
    Alas, I awoke this morning to yet another restart.

I spoke to Sprint this morning and described my issue and the support tech was adamant that such restarts should NOT be happening (duh!) and that this was the first time he had heard of this issue. I also described the issue with my calendar locking up in day view whenever I have all calendars visible (with only one--any one--I can scroll day-to-day and add/edit appts with no probs). He immediately recommended returning it to the point of purchase for a new one. Still searching for one in stock at this point.

BTW, what is this ##rtn# reset some of you have referenced?
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast