Page 1 of 15 123456 11 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Running 1.0.2...

Every time I open the slider to use the keyboard, everything is fine. When I close the slider, my phone crashes/shuts off. I have to power it back up.

Is anyone else having this issue?? This is kind of a big deal if I can't use the keyboard!!

Please - any and all help is greatly appreciated!!
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I have a thread on this too. Do you have the Touchstone?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    I have a thread on this too. Do you have the Touchstone?
    Yes, I do have a touchstone. Is that a factor in this? Could you post the link to your thread as well

Also, just did a full erase on the phone, and when I go to open the slider to type, it crashes!

So, now both closing *and* opening the slider crashes the phone!!

AAHHHH!!
    Last edited by dtatgenho; 06/06/2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: more info
    happened to me twice
    No problems with that for me and I have been using it all day today!
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I don't have enough posts to post links, but if you search "crashing phone" you'll find my thread.

Try replacing the Touchstone back cover with the original and see if that stops the crashing when sliding the phone open and closed.

I'm in Scottsdale too, lol.
    I am not having that problem.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    I don't have enough posts to post links, but if you search "crashing phone" you'll find my thread.

Try replacing the Touchstone back cover with the original and see if that stops the crashing when sliding the phone open and closed.

I'm in Scottsdale too, lol.
    I did find your post, thanks

However, I have put the original back on the phone and I am still getting the crashes. So, it appears that (at least for me) it still crashes with both the original back and the touchstone back.

The link for your original thread is here: forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/182820-crashing-when-closing-slider-touchstone-culprit.html

Also - you're in Scottsdale? Were you in line this morning at the Northsight Blvd store? That's where I got my Pre.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtatgenho View Post
    Also - you're in Scottsdale? Were you in line this morning at the Northsight Blvd store? That's where I got my Pre.
    No, I was at the Sprint store in Tempe on Southern Ave.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtatgenho View Post
    Running 1.0.2...

Every time I open the slider to use the keyboard, everything is fine. When I close the slider, my phone crashes/shuts off. I have to power it back up.

Is anyone else having this issue?? This is kind of a big deal if I can't use the keyboard!!

Please - any and all help is greatly appreciated!!
    I'm having this same problem, as well. I'm not using the touchstone back. What I've also discovered is that for me, it's not justwhen moving the slider, it also happens whenever the pre is subjected to a 'moderate' jolt. I'm not talking dropping it, I'm talking pass it quickly from one hand to the other with a firm stop. My intuition tells me the phone is experiencing a momentary interuption of power. I've also noticed that the screen doesn't go completely 'off', but rather it's on, but displaying all black. The only thing I can do is press and hold the power switch, which makes the phone boot up as though it was turned off.

I'm going back to the store tomorrow to hopefully get a replacement.

Rotello
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rotello View Post
    I'm having this same problem, as well. I'm not using the touchstone back. What I've also discovered is that for me, it's not justwhen moving the slider, it also happens whenever the pre is subjected to a 'moderate' jolt. I'm not talking dropping it, I'm talking pass it quickly from one hand to the other with a firm stop. My intuition tells me the phone is experiencing a momentary interuption of power. I've also noticed that the screen doesn't go completely 'off', but rather it's on, but displaying all black. The only thing I can do is press and hold the power switch, which makes the phone boot up as though it was turned off.

Rotello
    That's the exact same type of crash I'm experiencing, but only when the Touchstone back cover is on.
    This happened to my wifes phone. When you open or close the keyboard real quick it would shut down the phone, and then you would need to start the phone back up. I called tech support, the tech told me to reset the phone. Typing in a code through the dial pad(## and a set of numbers),it pulls up a info page. At the bottom it will have a reset button. Clicking on this and then typing in another set of numbers it will reset the phone. After resetting the phone it never did it again. Even after opening and closing it back and worth several times.
    we don't have a touchstone, it seems to be a software problem (i would have guessed a faulty wire, but it did work so go figure)also make sure you get all you contacts saved. you will lose everything on the phone. she lost all of hers.
    Last edited by Blackrazor; 06/06/2009 at 08:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rotello View Post

Rotello
    That is the exact same for me too. Nice work!

I added this issue to the sticky "Buglist for Pre" post (others are mentioning it too). The link to my post in that thread is here, if needed: forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=1646103&posted=1#post1646103

In that post I linked to this thread and the one started by Tikerz.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrazor View Post
    This happened to my wifes phone. When you open or close the keyboard real quick it would shut down the phone, and then you would need to start the phone back up. I called tech support, the tech told me to reset the phone. Typing in a code through the dial pad(## and a set of numbers),it pulls up a info page. At the bottom it will have a reset button. Clicking on this and then typing in another set of numbers it will reset the phone. After resetting the phone it never did it again. Even after opening and closing it back and worth several times.
    we don't have a touchstone, it seems to be a software problem (i would have guessed a faulty wire, but it did work so go figure)also make sure you get all you contacts saved. you will lose everything on the phone. she lost all of hers.
    Which customer support number did you call? I would like to try that reset procedure as well.
    Just normal tech support. *2
    Was happening to me also....but it has appeared to have cleared up....for now atleast. I wiped the phone and reinstalled the "02" update first. Then added contacts through Google. it's been working well all afternoon....but if I still get problems....to the Sprint store I go monday morning...

Oh...one other thing...since you can have the PRE act as a USB drive, I decided to see what a defrag under windows would do. It seems to have made things slightly smoother and less time when opening aps.....just my observation..

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    The same thing is happening to me too! I had my pre for about 6 hours, closed the slider and the same damn thing happened to me. The phone goes blank, and the screen remains on, but just pure black. The only way to get the phone back was to press and hold the power key and re-boot the phone, which takes a hell of a long time.

I am going back to the Sprint store tomorrow. I can't be without a phone for weeks on end and I know they are all sold out of these.

Sounds to me like a lot of pissed off people are going to be hitting up the sprint store tomorrow and monday about this garbage.

Unless you are EXTRA GENTLE with closing the slider keyboard on my pre, the phone completely crashes and the screen goes blank. Something in the wiring or manufacturing of these pieces of crap was bad and they are just letting us all bring them back (at least the suckers who are pissed off enough to bring them back) instead of having made them right before shipping them out.
    Having the same issue. I guess I'm going to have to give Sprint a call tomorrow. Hopefully it is just a software problem.
    unfortunately, her phone did it this morning. i wonder if its the patch? after i posted last night her phone told her to update to the new patch. she left it updating while we went to bed, and woke up this morning and it happened again.

I did find a new way of resetting your phone though. Go to device info, then at the bottom hit reset options. then it gives you 3 options. im going to try partial erase while i wait for the sprint store to open.
    Last edited by Blackrazor; 06/07/2009 at 08:30 AM.
    Same problem here. I actually got two pres yesterday, one for me and one for the wife. Only the wife's is exhibiting the problem.

Exact same symptoms - crash to black screen when slider closes. Reboot is the only remedy.

Anyone found a sure fix yet?
Page 1 of 15 123456 11 ... LastLast