Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by schep View Post
    Just go away.

Clearly a lot of us really like the phone for a lot of great reasons. Of course, being early adopters, we recognize that there are going to be some issues that aren't entirely ironed out. The MacGyver solution is to help minimize the problem until we are able to get the HW replaced. Not a huge deal for most of us reasonable folk.

You are more than welcome to speak with your wallet and not buy a pre. I think that would be great. It leaves more for the rest of us that find value all the other things that are great about this phone.
    Ahh...Go away from the guy with 15 posts. Nice.

Not a huge deal is not the matter of issue. I'm not sure how many Palms you've owned, but i've been there done that with Palms. Now i'm not saying I wouldn't buy another one, i'm stating that I dont understand why people are so happy go lucky like kids over a device that they go... Oh no biggy for us reasonable folk who will stick a piece of paper in it. The point is that you dont PAY MONEY to fix it by a MacGyver route.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrazor View Post
    Went and replaced the phone for my wife. Haven't had a problem since. Whats even great is the palm profile, it saved everything she had on her prev phone so all i had to do was go in, swap the phone and trf the profile. Done. As for mine i haven't had any problems. I love the phone.

There are just some things that are going to be not working the way they are for any new product. This applies to 1st gen anything, from a car, mmo, xbox, Iphone. Yes there are beta testers but that only applies to a small group of people. When you have 50,000 some are going to not work correctly. Thats what you get for getting it first. You deal. Im sure everyone new this buying the phone. More updates with come, new fixes,and ppl like quickstank will be looking like little children. At least you dont have to pay for it geesh.
    And now we have another childish post with how many posts do you have? Oh yeah, like 5.

It is obviously big enough issue if they post a whole topic on it on the front page. The point is that dont you think you should return it?

If you had a computer, camera, TV, etc with a problem that was like that, I bet you money you'd be taking it back to the store.

Oh, my hard drive in my laptop doesn't fit. I'll just shove a piece of paper in there. Oh man, my lens doesn't shut all the way in my camera. I'll just force it.

I mean, you are paying good money for this, yet you rig it. I dont get it. Software is not the issue at hand. I'm speaking hardware. It is a DEFECT, and should be return, yet many of you just keep it.
    Last edited by quickstang; 06/11/2009 at 06:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    Dial ##786# and let us know what the "warrantydatecode" says. Thanks.

Mine says 5/31/2009 and I have this problem.
    5/11/2009 for mine with this problem.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    "make the battery fit more snuggly by sticking a tiny bit of paper (only a few layers are necessary) in along the top of the battery compartment."

When I read this on the homepage, I laughed. You're telling me, that people spent $199 or more to have to put a piece of paper in the back to make it work?

That would be a definite return for me if I had one and it did that, and a replacement battery would not fix it. I dont pay good money to shove a piece of paper in the back of a phone to make it work like it should have.

I wouldn't buy any other piece of electronics and do that, so I really dont see why people do it with the Pre. To me it seems like... Ok, we dont care Palm screwed up, we'll just MacGyver it.

I paid for quality, and i'm going to get it, or return it. You sure as heck wouldn't MacGyver a car brand new off the lot would you?

Anyway, I dont have to worry about it cause I didn't buy one, but for those of you who did, I sure hope you just dont put a piece of paper in the back and call it good cause someone else couldn't get it right. I hope you return it if you had that problem, get it fixed, or not purchase the phone until it is fixed. Just my 2 cents.
    Seriously dude you need to chill. Would you prefer that it was a more serious problem that needed experts to fix? When I read the solution I also laughed but mine was of relief that it wasn't something fundamentally complicated that would require a whole new engineering process to be enacted. We know how long they take to make happen !

I am so glad that it is just the slight difference in size of the battery. What a wonderful find by one of the posters.

PALM GIVE THIS MAN A NEW PRE FOR FREE AND MARK HIM AS PALM PRE HERO OF THE MONTH!!!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Getting back on topic...

I've been having this prob since day 1. Sprint replaced my battery on day 3. Problem went away for 2 days and returned. I put the sliver of paper in. It's better, but it still happens. Looks like it's new phone time for me. Hope I can find one...

Rotello
    Quote Originally Posted by BatFastard View Post
    I just got my Pre replaced yesterday due to screen discoloration, and my new one has this issue. I am really bummed out - maybe my 3rd phone will be fine.

My Warranty Date Code is 06/03/2009 - just FYI.
    Just a quick update - I went by my Sprint store yesterday and showed a rep. I suggested it could be the battery and that a lot of other users had reported that. I asked if they had a spare battery to try, and he went into the back and came out with one and said "here, you can have this". I asked him what would happen if it still crashed and he said to let him know and they'd see about ordering me another phone.

I got back to the office and charged (the completely dead) battery. I gave it a few good firm closes and it didn't seem to shut down. So, either this battery works better, or I wasn't closing it hard enough (which I don't think was the case). But - I think it fixed my problem.

That, and I got a spare battery for free out of the deal! (well, one that could potentially cause my phone to crash... but still, very nice)
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I had to pull my battery 3 times.

The problem is simply that the phone goes dead,and wont turn back on unless you pull the battery.

The last case just happened where I was on a live call and the screen went dead, I could not end the call or turn on the screen,but I could hear the person on the other line.

After they hung up the phone was dead and did not come back up until I pulled the battery again.(4 Times now).

The battery has a full charge and the phone is 2 days old, and yes I did the wireless update.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I exchanged my Pre on Monday due to a hot and draining battery (battery went from 100% to 0% in 3 hrs with practically no use). My second one which I'm using now started having the slider reset issue a few days ago after the phone gently dropped off my lap to the floor of my car. It wasn't happening every time I closed the keyboard, but yesterday it happened at least 5-10 times.

I spoke to my local Sprint service center and the put me on the wait list for a replacement Pre. However, I'd really prefer to keep this one since everything else is working great, including the battery life. Then I stopped by another Sprint store yesterday evening and they gave me a battery to try from a returned phone. So far not a single reset with the other battery! And I put the original battery back in this morning and it hasn't had any issues either, although I haven't tested it out too extensively yet. Very strange! Hopefully the gremlin is gone for good and I've got a free spare battery which is outstanding!

What I just don't understand is why only some batteries/phones are having this issue and not others. Bugs and all, I'm loving the Pre more and more every day!
    Last edited by TreoAZ; 06/13/2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: misspelling
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nahbow View Post
    I had to pull my battery 3 times.

The problem is simply that the phone goes dead,and wont turn back on unless you pull the battery.

The last case just happened where I was on a live call and the screen went dead, I could not end the call or turn on the screen,but I could hear the person on the other line.

After they hung up the phone was dead and did not come back up until I pulled the battery again.(4 Times now).

The battery has a full charge and the phone is 2 days old, and yes I did the wireless update.
    Hold the power button down for a few seconds to turn it back on. You shouldn't have to pull the battery unless you have a completely different problem from the rest of us in this thread.
    i think i am having this problem as well. this is my second phone now. i cant seem to recreate it though, it just happens randomly which is frustrating. also if i pinch the top-right corner of the phone, it makes a snapping noise as if the phone is not fully secure or something. i didnt have this problem with my old phone. just called the store and they said i couldnt take it back and that i needed to return it to a "service center". does that sound right? im not sure what these people are going to do with my phone.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    Ahh...Go away from the guy with 15 posts. Nice.

Not a huge deal is not the matter of issue. I'm not sure how many Palms you've owned, but i've been there done that with Palms. Now i'm not saying I wouldn't buy another one, i'm stating that I dont understand why people are so happy go lucky like kids over a device that they go... Oh no biggy for us reasonable folk who will stick a piece of paper in it. The point is that you dont PAY MONEY to fix it by a MacGyver route.

And now we have another childish post with how many posts do you have? Oh yeah, like 5.

It is obviously big enough issue if they post a whole topic on it on the front page. The point is that dont you think you should return it?

If you had a computer, camera, TV, etc with a problem that was like that, I bet you money you'd be taking it back to the store.

Oh, my hard drive in my laptop doesn't fit. I'll just shove a piece of paper in there. Oh man, my lens doesn't shut all the way in my camera. I'll just force it.

I mean, you are paying good money for this, yet you rig it. I dont get it. Software is not the issue at hand. I'm speaking hardware. It is a DEFECT, and should be return, yet many of you just keep it.
    You clearly don't GET IT. When the alternatives to the Pre are either to go get an iphone or go back to your Treo, most of us are going to stick around and get our Pre problems resolved. If you want to be an impatient baby and can't wait a few days to get a replacement for a macgyvered phone, that's your problem. Clearly the rest of us here don't care, so who exactly are you posting to? I could go spam a bunch of iphone threads and get a post count matching yours but that wouldn't make me a better or more informed person.

Also serving as an update of my own experiences with this battery/crash problem:

Today I visited the main corporate store in Austin and asked if I could go ahead and place an order for another Pre to replace mine. The rep said they had 10 in the back that were reserved for waiting list folks but that because mine was going to be a 30-day replacement, he could grab one of the reserved ones. We turned on the new one, restored all my Palm profile stuff, and I was out the door within minutes.

There are four interesting differences between this new Pre and the one I gave back to Sprint:

First, the phone doesn't crash when I shake it or close the slider. Yay!

Second, the overall feel of the device is a lot better than the one I turned it. The first one had a shifty slider since day 1. I could jiggle it back and forth quite a bit. This new one doesn't budge and slides very smoothly, like you would expect a quality device to be able to do in the first place.

Third, the warranty date code on my first Pre was 5/11/09. This new one's date is 6/08/09 and it's already running WebOS 1.0.2.

Fourth, this new box was yellow, whereas the old one was black. Okay not that interesting :P

Could I have waited a month and gotten a Pre after they worked out all the manufacturing kinks? Sure, but I wanted my Pre NOW so I took my chances. My wife got her Pre at the same time as me and hers is working flawlessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by maroot View Post
    If we get our phones replaced, does that void our Sprint 30 day Return Policy? Since its not the original phone we initally signed up with and we exercised a phone "repair/replacement" claim...

I wonder????
    LOL! NO, that doesn't void the return policy!
    While we are on the topic of the sliding aspect of our Pre.

Does anyone have any issues with the top half of the wiggling or feeling loose at all? I am concerned about that because mine moves out of place somewhat as if it isn't fitted in there tightly enough. It was the first day or two but it already is uncomfortable lose.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martial_way View Post

Does anyone have any issues with the top half of the wiggling or feeling loose at all? I am concerned about that because mine moves out of place somewhat as if it isn't fitted in there tightly enough. It was the first day or two but it already is uncomfortable lose.
    Yes, my first one jiggled back and forth quite a bit.
    I got 2 phones on the 1st day and 1 box was white and the other black. 1 had the slider issue & the other had a faulty proximity sensor so we exchanged them both. 1 of the 2 new phones had the slider issue again, both were white boxes. Did another exchange (white box) and now both phones r fine. Both had 1.0.2 already. How do I check the warranty date?
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phonephetish View Post
    I got 2 phones on the 1st day and 1 box was white and the other black. 1 had the slider issue & the other had a faulty proximity sensor so we exchanged them both. 1 of the 2 new phones had the slider issue again, both were white boxes. Did another exchange (white box) and now both phones r fine. Both had 1.0.2 already. How do I check the warranty date?
    On the dialer screen, type ##786#
    That will put you in the Reverse Logistics Support screen. Scroll down for the "warrantydatecode". People seem to be interpreting that as the manufacturing date.
    Quote Originally Posted by martial_way View Post

my coworker just bought one and his is REALLY loose. it didnt think much of it until he compared it to mine.

this is starting to **** me off. granted mine isnt doing it as often as some of you all. its happened 3 times today. however i dont really know how to recreate it. and because this is my second phone, the sprint store told me i cant swap it for another new one and that i have to take it to an authorization repair center or something. how long is the warranty on these phones? i didnt purchase any insurance.
    The sprint store is misleading you. I suggest you ask to speak to a Manager.
    Headed to the Sprint store on Sat and a rep there said it is a manufacturer's defect with the battery. He claimed that a handfull of batteries [defect it's made a bit smaller than good ones, great QC] left the factory this way. And that they would be receiving replacement batteries [free] some time soon to fix this issue. In the meantime the ghetto paper spacer has fixed my shut off issue for now.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Just adding my name to the list here.

My Pre was perfect for a long time, too. Then all of a sudden, things started happening. Random ghost taps when I wasn't touching the screen, the screen blacking out after a call ends (you can read more here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-luck-pre.html), not to mention the mic not turning off when I'm using a headset mic.

So anyways, now my Pre screen goes black (but not off) when I close the keyboard. But only in a very specific case. When I end a call and I close the keyboard, and I'm about to swipe the dialer pad away, it all crashes. Ugh.

I knew there would be things wrong with the phone here and there cause it was brand new, etc. But I've never experienced anything like this before with any other electronic item.

I read on here about people exchanging these things twice, three times...I mean, how many times is too many?

I want to love the Pre, I really do. Cause it has sooo much potential. But it seems like that's all it has - potential. There is nothing consistent about it as of now.

Sigh...
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Bought mine on day one.

Today, I went to open the slider and poof, it turned off.

Hopefully just a one time event...
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast