Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pokedeath View Post
    Glad it worked out for you and your wife. Seems to me that some batteries weren't made as evenly as the other ones tho so at least in my case I think the issue is more of a can't wait til replacement batteries than anything else. The phone itself works great and now that I temporarily fixed my battery, I'm having no problems with the phone... now only if they could improve battery life as well.
    I'm glad to hear that. And +1 on the battery life. Definitely a power sucker. I'm going to have to get Touchstones and stick 'em all over my house. BTW my Sprint store hadn't gotten any of those yet so I haven't had the pleasure of wireless charging beyong my Phillips toothbrush. Really looking forward to that, as plugging in that little cable constantly is annoying.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Yeah, my co-worker didn't want that bad battery in his Pre. I don't blame him.

Some more good news. I went to the Sprint store on my way home today and demo'd the problem to a repair tech there. I said all I think I need is a new battery and she said that she had about 4 spare ones laying around in the back.

I popped one of them in and could not get the phone to reset. Problem is definitely battery related. I'm still not 100% convinced my Pre is fixed, but in the three hours with the new battery, it hasn't reset once. I've actually yet to go over an hour with no reset, so I'm already doing better.

I'm still on the waiting list at my original store to get a replacement, so I'll use that waiting time to gauge how well this new one is working.

I suggest everyone experiencing this go to their Sprint store and request a battery replacement. Hopefully they'll have one or two lying around.

The battery I got was completely drained, so I stood there and let it charge up to 20% before I left the store, all the while trying to recreate the reset (with both the charger plugged in and disconnected). Once it hit 20%, I unplugged it again, attempted 5 minutes worth of opening and closing, said thanks, and left.

We'll see how this works.
    I did the electrical tape thing and it works. You can also barely tell it's there. Not worth the bother of trying to get a replacement that *might* fix the problem, so I am just going to leave it as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I did the electrical tape thing and it works. You can also barely tell it's there. Not worth the bother of trying to get a replacement that *might* fix the problem, so I am just going to leave it as is.
    Yea you can barely tell its there... I'm prob gonna buy an extra battery for the battery life... but gonna leave my e-taped one alone.
    I still haven't had it happen since Saturday night, and I've tried to get it to happen a couple times, even using the "C" formation with my fingers that an earlier poster described. But the moment it crops up again I'm heading to the nearest Sprint store.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Thought I'd chime in again after a full days usage with a new battery supplied by Sprint. As a recap, I was one of the earlier posters who was experiencing this issue. I went to the Sprint store and the tech there said they'd heard of an issue with some batteries. He replaced my original battery with another they had in stock.

For the last 12 hours since the battery was replaced, I have had ZERO occurences of this problem. I'd say the battery replacement seems to have fixed things for me so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't see the problem again. It's great news that many of you are seeing success by snugging up the battery with a piece of paper, but I strongly recommend you let Sprint / Palm know you're having this problem so it can get fixed PROPERLY for you and others!

rotello
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_b View Post
    Yeah, my co-worker didn't want that bad battery in his Pre. I don't blame him.

Some more good news. I went to the Sprint store on my way home today and demo'd the problem to a repair tech there. I said all I think I need is a new battery and she said that she had about 4 spare ones laying around in the back.

I popped one of them in and could not get the phone to reset. Problem is definitely battery related. I'm still not 100% convinced my Pre is fixed, but in the three hours with the new battery, it hasn't reset once. I've actually yet to go over an hour with no reset, so I'm already doing better.

I'm still on the waiting list at my original store to get a replacement, so I'll use that waiting time to gauge how well this new one is working.

I suggest everyone experiencing this go to their Sprint store and request a battery replacement. Hopefully they'll have one or two lying around.

The battery I got was completely drained, so I stood there and let it charge up to 20% before I left the store, all the while trying to recreate the reset (with both the charger plugged in and disconnected). Once it hit 20%, I unplugged it again, attempted 5 minutes worth of opening and closing, said thanks, and left.

We'll see how this works.
    *takes dreep breaths into a paper bag while jumping up and down flashing his hands*

Are you THE Jeff Bakalar from the 404? I just saw your video and ran over here to search. Sucks that your pre was being retarded. Glad to hear your phone is working now. Celebrities shouldn't be given broken phones!! Doesn't sprint know who you are?

There, now that I've done my fanboy routine, can i have a 404 t-shirt?

P.S. Hate the show :-).
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_b View Post
    I said all I think I need is a new battery and she said that she had about 4 spare ones laying around in the back.
    Problem here is that I went to the store 30 mins away and they didn't have any extra batteries. I am convinced it is a battery issue tho.
    OK, here is the latest on my version of this saga.

To recap - I bought two pres on launch day. Mine worked just fine, but my wife's exhibited this problem, easily repeatable.

After reading today's posts, I tried swapping the batteries on our pres, hoping to isolate it to a battery or a phone problem.

While my battery in her phone made the problem tougher to reproduce, the problem persisted on her phone. Her battery in my phone did not cause any problems.

In this particular case, it seems that the issue is a phone problem. I would guess that the battery contacts in the phone are defective.

I have MacGuyver'd the battery in her phone, fixing the problem, at least for the time being.

I still fully intend to exchange her phone for a replacement, but I will definitely test this issue before taking the new phone home.

Ahhhhh...the joys of being an early adopter!!!
    Ok, I just finished reading all 6 pages of this thread to get updated.

I experienced the blank screen after I installed 1.0.2 but I don't think that's related because I hardly used the phone on day one with webOS 1.0

The blank screen would happen during a gentle snapping close of the screen/keyboard. I suspected it was hardware more than software because of the failure came during a mechanical movement.

Did I mention at the instant of failure/closing, the screen would flash somewhat towards the bottom half of the screen. Whatever screen background you are using, you'll notice something like a short electrical glow/outline of the bottom half of the picture. Weird.

Anyway, took my Pre into the Sprint store. The Sales rep denies any knowledge of screen freezes. I was able to demonstrate and show her. She did a "soft reset" and asked me to give it a try. So I did, and I walked out hoping that might be the fix.

Got home and read this whole thread.

The loose battery suggestion with paper/electrical tape/etc fix made sense to me. I haven't tried that suggestion yet. But it got me thinking.

Because for me the blank screen failure occurs on a downward movement of the screen, with the keyboard in the closed position, I tried vertically tapping the Pre on the palm of my hand (kinda hard tap - but not real hard??) Guess what happened? I got the Pre to fail with the blank screen!!!

I think this confirms it might be a loose battery issue. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I can see how a momentary loss of power can cause the screen to flash like I discribed earlier and loss of logic. Thus we have a hung condition that has to be reset by power recycle.

I will try the paper/tape trick and see if it helps my condition.

But I think this is poor QC on Palms part. What a cheapa** fix.
    Video of Pre crashing when Keyboard is closed

Palm Pre: A Pre-tty disappointing start | Crave - CNET
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post

Watch this video. This is EXACTLY what my Pre does when it ceashes with the blank screen phenomenon.

The video demonstrates the crash two times. Take note on how the picture on the screen/background kind of glows momentarily and leaves you with a backlit blank screen. That's exactly what I posted just before the video clip post.

I'm going to Sprint today. Remember, we all have 30 days to return. Beware, if the phone is exchanged for a new one, does it cancel the Sprint 30 day return policy?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post

Glad you saw my video!

Unfortunately, I've got a bit of bad news regarding the battery swap fix. Since replacing it at 7pm last night, I had it reset on me at 11am this morning for the first time.

It's yet to have done it again since, but the issue remains. I'll do the paper/electrical tape fix for the time being, but I still think I'll swap mine out when replacements arrive.

Makes you wonder though, what's to stop this from happening to all of these phones eventually? It's the Xbox 360 launch all over again! Sooner or later, you'll get the red ring of death
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    I hope with the press this issue is getting that Palm will come out with an official response to this.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Hi All,

Sadly, I tried the paper fix, and it has not worked for me. It has made it *slightly* better, but I can definitely still make mine crash at will, and it doesn't take much. Maybe I just have an extra-special **** up Pre. Who knows...

I am supposed to get a new Pre this afternoon (assuming my Sprint store gets more in today), so I will update when (if?) I get my new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtatgenho View Post
    Hi All,

Sadly, I tried the paper fix, and it has not worked for me. It has made it *slightly* better, but I can definitely still make mine crash at will, and it doesn't take much. Maybe I just have an extra-special **** up Pre. Who knows...

I am supposed to get a new Pre this afternoon (assuming my Sprint store gets more in today), so I will update when (if?) I get my new one.
    Try using more of whatever you are using to pad the battery perhaps?
    If we get our phones replaced, does that void our Sprint 30 day Return Policy? Since its not the original phone we initally signed up with and we exercised a phone "repair/replacement" claim...

I wonder????
    Quote Originally Posted by maroot View Post
    If we get our phones replaced, does that void our Sprint 30 day Return Policy? Since its not the original phone we initally signed up with and we exercised a phone "repair/replacement" claim...

I wonder????
    I was told no by the Sprint Rep., both at the store and on the phone.
    I was having issues with the black screen of death as well and tried the paper fix and have not had issues since. I plan on going to the Sprint store today or tomorrow to get the battery replaced and see if that fixes the issue.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I had to use a Post-It under my battery door on my Centro to stop my creaking, so I'd recommend Post-It note stickies. Maybe two or three sheets thick, plus you'll have the sticky side to keep it in place.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast