Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Another thought I had is maybe there's a piece of foam that is missing that is supposed to be there to make the battery fit more snug. At least that is how the problem would be solved the manufacturing industry.
    I can also verify that a piece of paper put into the battery area worked for me !!! For a reference, I used a business card (actually one from the sprint store) and slid that back behind the battery....so far so good...
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    FYI...I had the problem with my PRE phone screen going blank. Solution: Remove that plastic protection cover that came with the phone. There is something with the sensors that makes the screen go on and off. After I removed that plastic cover, I never had the problem again.

I originally thought to myself: noooooo! This cannot be happening to a new phone. So hopefully this helps anyone that has experienced periodic phone screen blacking out.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I found this thread at the Palm forums where someone called Palm support about this issue.

* SOLVED * Pre loses power and shuts down when keypad is opened or closed..... - webOS Hardware - Palm Support Forums

It just reinforces that it's battery connection issue.
    Like I said, I'll live with this workaround for awhile until we hear something diffinitive from Palm. There's not much use in trying another one and have it crop up again.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Guys, with the help of a co-worker with a Pre as well, we seem to have figured out the issue.

I replaced my Pre's battery with his, and I could not get the phone to reset once. We had it in there for a good 15 minutes, half of which was spent sliding the keyboard open and closed and the phone would not reset.

I then took my battery back and popped it back in and was able to get the phone to reset just while on the "Palm" screen.

At this point I'm 95% sure it's a loose battery connection. I slid 2 very small pieces of paper in where the original "McGuyver" did and I've yet to have it crash.

We're on to something people. Still will be getting a replacement however.

But at least for now it seems it's manageable.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Now I wonder if this could be the cause of the other random crashing and shutoffs that people are reporting with just using the device, not necessarily sliding the keyboard closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    Now I wonder if this could be the cause of the other random crashing and shutoffs that people are reporting with just using the device, not necessarily sliding the keyboard closed.
    I'd think that's likely in some cases. Mine was really really sensitive to any bumps until I did the trick.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrazor View Post
    unfortunately, her phone did it this morning. i wonder if its the patch? after i posted last night her phone told her to update to the new patch. she left it updating while we went to bed, and woke up this morning and it happened again.

I did find a new way of resetting your phone though. Go to device info, then at the bottom hit reset options. then it gives you 3 options. im going to try partial erase while i wait for the sprint store to open.
    Yeah, I tried the reset option too. Still crashes. I really don't think its a software thing - all signs point to hardware.
    The problem is just the battery it seems from the testing Jeff B did.

I just got done taking black electrical tape, cutting two pieces real short and putting it up top so that it only covers the top portion, and then cutting a longer piece and putting it so that the width of it is able to cover up the two small pieces and then wrap around to the side that says PALM on it so that it doesn't add any extra depth, or at least minimally, to the bottom of the battery as it sits. Just turned it on and doesnt seem to shut off any more. Battery seems to sit quite well.

Hopefully my description made some kind of sense, and it is still a ghetto rigging, but it at least looks better since the color of the battery is the same as the electrical tape and I am able to still change out batteries if I need to. Are there any disadvantages that I should be aware of that would be detrimental to the battery in doing this?
    Last edited by pokedeath; 06/08/2009 at 05:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duffyanneal View Post
    Are you guys sure it's not something simple like the battery loosing connection with the contacts? When sliding the phone closed the battery may move a little separating the battery from the contacts. I would check to make sure the battery doesn't move around inside the phone.
    I think this may be one possible culprit (battery getting jarred), but I'm not sure what I/we would be able to do to try and prevent that. You could try and put something (a small, folded piece of paper) in between the batter and the battery door to try and give it a more snug fit, I guess...

EDIT: Sorry - hadn't caught up with the most recent comments in the thread, so my apologies for suggesting something that has already been discussed
    Last edited by dtatgenho; 06/08/2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: I am not current, and make poor life decisions :)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_b View Post
    Guys, with the help of a co-worker with a Pre as well, we seem to have figured out the issue.

I replaced my Pre's battery with his, and I could not get the phone to reset once. We had it in there for a good 15 minutes, half of which was spent sliding the keyboard open and closed and the phone would not reset.

I then took my battery back and popped it back in and was able to get the phone to reset just while on the "Palm" screen.

At this point I'm 95% sure it's a loose battery connection. I slid 2 very small pieces of paper in where the original "McGuyver" did and I've yet to have it crash.

We're on to something people. Still will be getting a replacement however.

But at least for now it seems it's manageable.
    Great work Jeff. I'll try the same tonight when I get home from work. Since my wife's has the problem and mine doesn't, it should be easy enough to test.

One question - did the problem follow the "bad" battery to the "good" pre?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMyPre View Post
    Now if only you guys could figure out a way to get symbols to work in text fields within a webpage, I'd be all set
    Hmm... Try wedging a small piece of paper into the keyboard - seems to be fixing everything else
    Quote Originally Posted by dtatgenho View Post
    Hmm... Try wedging a small piece of paper into the keyboard - seems to be fixing everything else

Did it work? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by schep View Post
    Great work Jeff. I'll try the same tonight when I get home from work. Since my wife's has the problem and mine doesn't, it should be easy enough to test.

One question - did the problem follow the "bad" battery to the "good" pre?
    I would guess the co-worker didn't want the Pre plague so they probably refused to put the "problem" battery in their unit. Correct?

At this point, Palm should just send everyone out a replacement battery. Oh yeah, add 500 milliamps while your at it please. My device dies mid day from STANDARD use.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Okay i had my first crash, as like the rest of you guys...i slide the pre open to type something and then blank screen...the odd thing was when i rebooted the phone, the key board would not work...turned it off then on again and keyboard still didnt work...

called the sprint store and they told me that i was not the first with this issue...of the keyboard not working...

they told me to reset the pre by holding the power button down and slide the ringer on/off button back and forth 3 times and a menu pops up to turn the phone off, airplane, etc...just press cancel and it does a soft reset...

that fixed the keyboard problem but i can seem to get it to crash again by sliding the keyboard open or closed...
    I can confirm I had the "Pre crashing on slider close, pressing power button reboots phone" issue as well.

Bought two Pre's Saturday morning for my wife and myself. My phone was/is totally fine, her's crashed about 12 times on Saturday during normal use (closing slider). Did full erase twice, still crashed. Called Palm, they said it was a hardware issue and to get it replaced. Went back to the Sprint store this morning and swapped it out for a new one, all is well with her phone now.

I didn't see this thread until today, so I didn't get to try any of the battery solutions in this thread.

There were still a few phones left in my area, for which I'm thankful. The Pre was a bday present for her and she was bummed it was flawed. I feel for those of you who have to wait for replacements. I hope this isn't a widespread issue, this is not the kind of problem Palm needs right now with an otherwise amazing device with a ton of potential.

Brent Daniels
    mine works fine happed to me on first day after 2 hours of use twice and never again

5V9 unit
    Quote Originally Posted by brentdanielsmusic View Post
    Bought two Pre's Saturday morning for my wife and myself. My phone was/is totally fine, her's crashed about 12 times on Saturday during normal use (closing slider). Did full erase twice, still crashed. Called Palm, they said it was a hardware issue and to get it replaced. Went back to the Sprint store this morning and swapped it out for a new one, all is well with her phone now.
    Brent Daniels
    Glad it worked out for you and your wife. Seems to me that some batteries weren't made as evenly as the other ones tho so at least in my case I think the issue is more of a can't wait til replacement batteries than anything else. The phone itself works great and now that I temporarily fixed my battery, I'm having no problems with the phone... now only if they could improve battery life as well.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I macgyvered my battery and haven't had a crash after an hour of slamming the pre around. When my wife is done messing with her pre i'm going to compare our batteries since hers doesn't die like mine does.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast