Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    I have experienced this problem several times with the phone powering off as I slide the keyboard closed. I have tried the paper trick and it did cut down on the problem, but it does still happen from time to time. I went into the corporate Sprint store where I bought the phone and the manager told me that this is a software issue and Palm is working to fix it. She said that replacing the phone would not fix it. I'm guessing this is total BS since most everyone seems to say this is a hardware issue. Any ideas how I can go about getting this phone replaced before my 30 days are up? Thanks!
    They should be aware of this problem. Tell them you are not happy with the phone and you want a NEW one or want to return it. Either they will give you a new one or refund your money and you should wait a couple of months and buy a new Pre (hopefully all the hardware issues are resolved by then).
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I had the same issue happen to me where after doing some typing on the keyboard when I closed the slider the phone would either go into a black screen or completely reset.

Cause: Loose batter. The act of closing the slider jolts it just enough to break the battery circuit momentarily.

Solutions:
    Option A: Close the slider very slowly so that it doesn't snap shut. This is only a temporary solution. Option B is better.
    Option B: Put a couple of layers of thick tape just on the opposite edge of the battery from the contacts. This will make the battery just wide enough to sit securely in it's place. about 3-4 layers of scotch tape will work fine. You don't need to cover the whole battery... just the opporite edge from the contacts so that the batter wedges in there snuggly. Don't over do it or you'll have problems removeing the battery.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    They should be aware of this problem. Tell them you are not happy with the phone and you want a NEW one or want to return it. Either they will give you a new one or refund your money and you should wait a couple of months and buy a new Pre (hopefully all the hardware issues are resolved by then).
    I'm fine with returning the phone and purchasing it later or from another store. My question is, does this jeopardize my upgrade potential? I'm a new sprint customer and I just don't to end up paying $500+ for a new pre at retail.

I would think if I'm returning the phone purchased under contract within 30 days this would entitle me to purchase another at contract price, am I incorrect in assuming this?
    Last edited by dohcrx; 06/24/2009 at 08:15 AM.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcrx View Post
    I'm fine with returning the phone and purchasing it later or from another store. My question is, does this jeopardize my upgrade potential? I'm a new sprint customer and I just don't to end up paying $500+ for a new pre at retail.

I would think if I'm returning the phone purchased under contract within 30 days this would entitle me to purchase another at contract price, am I incorrect in assuming this?
    That should be a correct assumption. However, you should double and triple check that when you return your phone that by doing so you are not under the new 2 year contract you signed for the Pre.
    I'm having this issue as well, and it's driving me crazy.

I'm going to go into the store and have them replace the phone. I don't care if it doesn't fix it, I think making a stink out of this is the only way to get it fixed. I don't think I should have to jam tape in my battery compartment to keep my phone from shutting itself off.

Other than this issue though, I love the phone.
    i put a 1/4 inch by 1/2 piece of paperboard above the battery as shown in the mcguyver solution and it worked just awesome. no way i'm getting a new pre when i can just do that. Esp. when i risk other hardware issues and my phone is already perfect.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    So in follow up:

I went to Sprint expecting a hassle and...drumroll please...brand new phone! Never even had to mention any hot-button words like: refund, or cancel. Never even asked for an exchange. Just mentioned the problem I was having (even though I couldn't recreate it in the store). 15 minutes later a guy came out with a new phone box and said, "We're just going to give you a new phone"

They must have known by the serial number that my phone was trouble or something. Even banked an extra home charger, mini usb, and palm headset since they just gave me the new box.

No light leakage at all (I only had a very small corner before, not enough to return it), no dead pixels.

New phone is a yellow box, haven't checked the mfg date yet. I'm thrilled

NOTE: this was the 180 N LaSalle store in downtown Chicago
    Last edited by dohcrx; 06/24/2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: indicated service center visited
    So in follow up:

I went to Sprint expecting a hassle and...drumroll please...brand new phone! Never even had to mention any hot-button words like: refund, or cancel. Never even asked for an exchange. Just mentioned the problem I was having (even though I couldn't recreate it in the store). 15 minutes later a guy came out with a new phone box and said, "We're just going to give you a new phone"

They must have known by the serial number that my phone was trouble or something. Even banked an extra home charger, mini usb, and palm headset since they just gave me the new box.

No light leakage at all (I only had a very small corner before, not enough to return it), no dead pixels.

Awesome. I'm about to head to a 2nd Sprint store in 15 minutes to see what happens. Hopefully I have better luck than last time!
    So in follow up:

NOTE: this was the 180 N LaSalle store in downtown Chicago
    Yours is more or less the same as my experience today. I took it in, like you expecting a hassle, and the guy I talked to said it was the third one he had seen with the same problem. They pretty much just replaced it on the spot. (although I didn't get to keep the new box with all the accessories, he just gave me the phone...)

So far no reboots, but I've only had it for a little over an hour...
    Have similar problem with pre shutting down, but not just with the slider. Don't use it much and can't replicate the problem with the slider
    It shuts down while in my pocket sitting at a desk. It seems to act like the battery is removed - immediate stop.
    In reading the threads here, especially the one suggesting putting on the original back, leads me to think there is a sensor that tells the phone when the back is removed and shuts it down. Have no real clue, but seems plausible. Thoughts?
    Trouble with 1.02 and 1.03, original back.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    i can take the back off with the phone on.

i did several times when i was trying to pull the battery away from the contacts to see if that was the issue. i couldn't pull it far enough/shake it around to where it turned off.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    This problem just started with great frequency. I also noticed that sometimes when I would turn off the screen thru the power button and turn it on the "slide to unlock" wouldn't appear and then when I would open the slider it would crash.

Note: it just crashed

so because the slide to unlock didn't appear im thinking perhaps it does have something to do with the software?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Can't get it to crash at all now
    I went to a different Sprint store after work today and told the lady what was happening. She took the phone, opened the slider, closed it, and it turned off. She immediately got my name and number and said she will call me as soon as a replacement arrives. Happy day!
    FYI: The issue occurs due to the battery cover being too thin to hold the battery in place properly. Palm has acknowledged this issue and is working to get thicker battery covers to replace the originals. In the mean time, Sprint has been issuing Touchstone battery covers (just the cover, not the charger) to fix the issue as the touchstone covers are thicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by donquixoteh View Post
    FYI: The issue occurs due to the battery cover being too thin to hold the battery in place properly. Palm has acknowledged this issue and is working to get thicker battery covers to replace the originals. In the mean time, Sprint has been issuing Touchstone battery covers (just the cover, not the charger) to fix the issue as the touchstone covers are thicker.
    My phone is crashing quite often and I have the Touchstone battery cover. I think it's more than just the cover.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    it was definitely more than just the battery cover, or battery itself in my case
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    An interesting development: my phone crashed with the OEM battery, until I taped a small piece of paper on the battery to make it fit more snugly in my Pre's battery compartment. I then tried a friend's Pre battery, which fit much more snugly in my Pre than did my battery. After using it for a short period of time, it crashed (on closing the slider) as well.

Before my phone started crashing, I ordered a centro battery and battery charger (enabling me to charge an extra battery outside the phone) off of ebay for like $13 shipped. The seller was in hong kong. It took over a week to arrive from china. I have had this centro battery in my phone for a day and a half with no macguyver paper or tape or anything. No crashes. I've opened and shut my slider more times than I care to count. I do not necessarily believe that this has "cured" my Pre's slider crashing issues, but I find it an interesting data point. Perhaps the slider crash is caused by some combination of the phone and the battery.

I'll report back in another day or two whether it has or hasn't crashed.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acyork View Post
    I'll report back in another day or two whether it has or hasn't crashed.
    I have now been using the Centro battery I purchased from ebay exclusively since Friday morning. As stated above, I did not macguyver this battery at all. I have not experienced a single slider-related crash with this battery.

Weird.
    Since getting my replaceent phone on Friday, I haven't had a single problem with it shutting down.