Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7seven7 View Post
    The problem with the phone powering off when you close the slider is do to an improper fit of the battery, you will need a replacement battery to resolve the issue.
    That's what I thought but this is not the case. I had a replacement battery, which fit much better and the phone has crashed 3 times since the replacement.

This is a PHONE defect not a battery defect.
    Mine just started doing this today. Up until today it was fine. I'm using the Seidio 1350 extended battery.

I love my Pre but I don't think I'll buy any version 1.0 hardware ever again.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Mine also just started doing this today, so I examined the battery contacts closely and noticed that one of them was slightly recessed. I gently pulled on it with a tiny bent paperclip and it popped very slightly and is now even with the other two contacts. This seems to have fixed the problem (for now?).

Does anyone else with this problem notice that the three contacts are not quite even? The difference was very slight in mine, but noticeable. Looking at the phone with the battery out, it was the right pin that was recessed.
    Hi all,
    Happy fathers day to you all!

I have this problem the first week I got my Pre. Call the palm support team and they did a lot of re-starting re-setting and testing... all was well..the symptoms similar to you.. random not very often, and heart to predict or duplicate.

So, I took it to the Sprint store and they seem to have fixed it well. One week after it, mine has not crash once - when closing the keyboard. Here are the comments they made and some of the things I notice.. on my own.. I do not know if it would help, but here it goes:

They mention the additional apps downloaded - conflict in operating them with OS? just keep a close watch on them... so I took them all out and only kept 7 of them. AccuWeather, where, express stocks, NY times, good food, Pandora and fandango.

I also did turned WIFI off... I kept this on all the time - I did not know how to use it... so, after some reading.. I turn it off. As it turs out, Sprint has good coverage for Internet access - 95% of the time and places I go so that was good for me.

I reduce the brightness setting of the Pre to30% - great improvement in battery life as well.

It may have been that they gave me a new one and never told me, I did not keep track on the device ID but I think I have the same one. I know this is not much but it may be worth giving it a thought.

At the time, I was on Version 1.0.2... now, that I have upgraded to the 1.0.3 it has crash about 4 times in just a few days.... so keep an eye on this one...

AG
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    big post, read as much history as my a.d.d. allowed.

has anybody noticed more crashes since 1.3 (the latest update)?

seems i have.... or maybe i'm opening and closing the slider more.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoshisan View Post
    big post, read as much history as my a.d.d. allowed.

has anybody noticed more crashes since 1.3 (the latest update)?

seems i have.... or maybe i'm opening and closing the slider more.
    I'm not seeing any difference. This is without a doubt a hardware issue, so if you are seeing more, it's likely that the problem is just getting worse over time. I'm just hoping my replacement comes in today...

I suggest you call your Sprint store and get on the list. Make sure they put you on top of the list, they told me that all phones with problems this soon as considered DOA and you get moved to the front of the list.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Mine used to reset often, but lately it hasn't very much if at all. Weird. My girlfriend's Pre on the other hand is resetting at least 4 times a day. Very frustrating for her. I read about the battery being too small or the compartment being too big, but apparently the problem is that the contacts are not touching the battery for just long enough to reset the phone.

I'm not sure if a replacement Pre will help any of all the Pre's are like this. Shouldn't they issue a battery that actually fits snug in there instead? I'm going to try and do the paper trick PreCentral has on here as a suggestion and hopefully it will help. If I have to replace the phone that would suck since I just spent like an hour last week applying the Invisible Shield. To think I'll have to peel it off, buy another and install yet again is making me sad face.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Had the Pre since the 6th and just today, it has crashed 3 times. I have only had maybe 2 crashes in the 2 1/2 weeks that I have had it. This is something new for me.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rj5620 View Post
    Had the Pre since the 6th and just today, it has crashed 3 times. I have only had maybe 2 crashes in the 2 1/2 weeks that I have had it. This is something new for me.
    Have you examined the battery contacts on your phone, as I described here:
    recessed battery contact
    ?
    Ive had my pre for a week now. The phone reset 3 time yesterday after closing the slider. i was just put on a waiting list for a new one.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessX View Post
    Have you examined the battery contacts on your phone, as I described here:
    [Link Removed]
    ?
    My battery contacts are completely even. I really don't want to replace my phone, given that everything else works great: no issues with the screen, keyboard or backlight; battery life is pretty ok; I just put on a skin (and it was a pain); and I don't want to lose my messages and bookmarks (this is another thread, but seriously Palm, how can you not backup messages and bookmarks???).

I'm unsure whether I want to stick it out with the macguyver fix or get a new phone. I hate having defective hardware (and I'm fairly sure it's a phone issue not a battery issue), but I don't really want to go through the trouble of replacing a phone that otherwise works great.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acyork View Post
    My battery contacts are completely even. I really don't want to replace my phone, given that everything else works great: no issues with the screen, keyboard or backlight; battery life is pretty ok; I just put on a skin (and it was a pain); and I don't want to lose my messages and bookmarks (this is another thread, but seriously Palm, how can you not backup messages and bookmarks???).

I'm unsure whether I want to stick it out with the macguyver fix or get a new phone. I hate having defective hardware (and I'm fairly sure it's a phone issue not a battery issue), but I don't really want to go through the trouble of replacing a phone that otherwise works great.
    Even though the contacts look OK, would you mind trying what I suggested just to see if it works? It worked for me, and I have tried nearly slamming my Pre shut, up, down... every day since and I can't force it to reset now.

Just take a small paper clip (the smaller the better), straighten it a little, and bend a tiny hook in it as close to the end as you can. It might help to use needle-nose pliers for this if you have them. Then remove the battery from your Pre and use the hook to gently pull each contact up, one at a time, toward the top of the phone. As long as you don't yank on them, you can't hurt anything...

Then put your battery back in, reboot, and try to crash your phone by closing the slider (or with any other jarring motion you're comfortable with).

Let us know how it goes.
    Add me to the list...I find this completely unacceptable, as I find it hard to believe it won't get worse and worse. This has to be something loose, only started the last two days. The idea that it's software related seems ludicrous to me.

Going to try an exchange in NYC. We'll see...
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessX View Post
    Even though the contacts look OK, would you mind trying what I suggested just to see if it works? It worked for me, and I have tried nearly slamming my Pre shut, up, down... every day since and I can't force it to reset now.

Just take a small paper clip (the smaller the better), straighten it a little, and bend a tiny hook in it as close to the end as you can. It might help to use needle-nose pliers for this if you have them. Then remove the battery from your Pre and use the hook to gently pull each contact up, one at a time, toward the top of the phone. As long as you don't yank on them, you can't hurt anything...

Then put your battery back in, reboot, and try to crash your phone by closing the slider (or with any other jarring motion you're comfortable with).

Let us know how it goes.
    OK. I tried what you said, and couldn't see any noticeable difference in how the contacts looked after I'd gently pulled upwards. The middle contact was sort of looser than the other two, for whatever that's worth. I was able to make my un-macguyvered battery crash in the normal way.

Nevertheless, I think I'm going to keep this phone, unless the macguyver solution starts to fail, in which case back it goes.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    This has been happening to me too. The phone will reset at least twice a day, always related to sliding open or closed. I have taken the battery back out and I have tried to recreate the issue by jostling the battery, moving it as far away from the contacts as it can be moved and it will not reset.

This definitely appears to be a phone issue, NOT a battery issue.

Just went to the sprint store where I bought the phone. They do not have technicians there so I have to go to one of the stores that does. First off I was told very plainly that unless the issue can be recreated in front of a technician they won't do anything. This is sad because I forked over $300 for a new phone and I do not want a refurbished phone, I want a working, new phone. To think if it starts doing this at 31 days they will just laugh me right over to TEP for a refurb makes me sick.

The bottom line is that this is a known issue and the phone is not physically damaged...I am not going to submit to a 2 year contract with a phone that is flaky one week out of the box.

Anyone have any ideas for recreating this issue or an angle to approach Sprint with that they will listen? I told the guy when he asked, you want to see it reset, follow me around when I need it the most. That is w/o fail when I have to restart the device.

I will return the phone if this can't be remedied and that's a shame because I really like it.
    Last edited by dohcrx; 06/23/2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: went to sprint store, reporting results
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    i just hard reset the phone and now i've already had it shut off when closing the slider 4 times...at least i know i can recreate it if they give me enough time

edit: spoke too soon, now it won't do it at all.

i really do not care how long i have to camp at a sprint store until they see it happen...this is really getting on my nerves
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    its just a battery issue. the battery is a hair bit to small. you can return it, or fix it. Search artilcle and you will see pic of fix. All you do is fold tiny piece of paper and put on top of battery forcing it down tight on metal contact. When you shut slider it loose conncetion for split sec. this will fix it.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David2g View Post
    its just a battery issue. the battery is a hair bit to small. you can return it, or fix it. Search artilcle and you will see pic of fix. All you do is fold tiny piece of paper and put on top of battery forcing it down tight on metal contact. When you shut slider it loose conncetion for split sec. this will fix it.
    Multiple users in this thread have experienced the crashing problem with multiple batteries. Now while this is not conclusive evidence, it certainly points to the individual Pres as being the problem, rather than the battery. The best explanation I can think of is that the battery compartment is a touch too large, which causes the battery to break connection with the contacts very briefly.

It definitely seems like it is particular Pres that have the problems rather than particular batteries.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I have taken the battery back out and I have tried to recreate the issue by jostling the battery, moving it as far away from the contacts as it can be moved and it will not reset.
    i'll be honest i couldn't get it to turn off again, left it off to the side for about 15 minutes. when i came back and unflipped it, the phone reset right away. i've noticed when i have it in my pocket but haven't opened it in a while it tends to reset upon opening more often than when you've been playing with it. this is just the first time i noticed the behavior when it wasn't moving around in my pocket or being jostled.
    I have experienced this problem several times with the phone powering off as I slide the keyboard closed. I have tried the paper trick and it did cut down on the problem, but it does still happen from time to time. I went into the corporate Sprint store where I bought the phone and the manager told me that this is a software issue and Palm is working to fix it. She said that replacing the phone would not fix it. I'm guessing this is total BS since most everyone seems to say this is a hardware issue. Any ideas how I can go about getting this phone replaced before my 30 days are up? Thanks!