Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Excellent TIP!!!
    My girlfriend told me to tell you "Thank you!!"
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Opening the cover for the first time was very scary. I was so worried that I was going to break it off. I'm glad I got the touchstone. Having to do that every single time I want to charge would get old very fast.
    I was able to get it open easy enough, I just can't get it closed. I've tried a bunch of times since last night.
    where were you at 9am, when i was frantically trying to pull it off?
    thanks so much!!!!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Thanks for that! I just thought I snapped mine off.
    Here's how I've been able to open the freakin' charger door:

1) Open the slider (as others have mentioned)

2) Use your fingernail to open the top part of the door (as viewed from holding the Pre facing upward)

3) Then gently twist the door to the right side (more than 45 degrees) to the point where you can insert the USB cord.

While the Pre is charging, you can now close the slider, or keep slider open if you prefer.

By the way, I looked at the enclosed brochure for the Pre, and the charger door does not open outwards as is pictured in the brochure. I don't know how in the world the charger door can be opened outward that much!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Already stated a couple of times - but just wanted to add that this is on Page 37 of the manual you all have...

Quote Originally Posted by Palm Pre Manual
    On the right side of your phone, open the charger/microUSB connector. (This is easier to do if you slide the keyboard out first.)
    RTM
    What's the name of the store you bought that USB cover from?
    I am surprised more people are not permanently removing the USB cover on the Pre. Most Blackberry's have unexposed mini/micro USB ports. Why not have a naked USB port on the Pre?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I am surprised more people are not permanently removing the USB cover on the Pre. Most Blackberry's have unexposed mini/micro USB ports. Why not have a naked USB port on the Pre?
    i think the phone looks really sleek the way it is, wouldn't wanna change that. I don't use USB enough to care.
    Mine just broke off today--49 days after purchase! Any need to be concerned?? I'd hate to replace a solid Pre over a usb cap.
    As the OP states, this is a Tip and should be in the Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    For those of you that use the USB every day - there is a thin plastic piece below the USB cover that is connected to the phone and will break off. I used to dig my fingernail under the cover and flick up until one day it broke. So, be careful. I actually traded my phone in for a new one after that happened and got the Touchstone. Now I'm extremely careful when I open the USB cover. I try to avoid it if possible
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    My strategy for not breaking the USB cover off is to do everything wirelessly: Sync, file transfers, app installs (including Homebrew), tethering, charging . . . everything. I love this device!!!!!!
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter View Post
    My strategy for not breaking the USB cover off is to do everything wirelessly: Sync, file transfers, app installs (including Homebrew), tethering, charging . . . everything. I love this device!!!!!!
    Just curious - how can you do file transfers wirelessly? Bluetooth?

Thanks!
    Meh. Mine stopped closing 'cause I screwed something up on launch day, only hours after getting the Pre. I let it hang there for a month or so, then just cut it off with scissors. Haven't missed it. My least-favorite Pre design feature.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I'm using a Bold right now and while its a little big for my small hands it is a wonderful phone. Get this. I'm running at full speed, nothing is slow and my available on board memory is 4591696 Bytes.

That's horrible but its not keeping me from doing anything I want. I will do some house keeping soon though.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Thanks guys. this phone is pretty sweet i am a big fan. have been doing side by side tests with my gf's iphone (which I was considering getting) and it wins almost every time. even the S2's 3G beats the iphones WiFi half the time. where did oregon trail go in the app world though?? haha. guess it doesnt work for the storm
    Or you can do what I did. Just take the USB door off...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast