Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I am very interested in getting the Palm Pre when it is released. While I have not posted anything here, I have been keeping up with it since January. It is a very exciting phone. However, one feature that I require in any phone is the ability to send a text message to multiple (50+) contacts. I am the communications hub for a couple of different non-profit groups, and this is how they tend to let others know when meetings and decisions are going to be made. Therefore, this is a requirement for me. I have read over (briefly) the user manual, but cannot find if/how the Pre will support this. When I had a WinMo phone, I ended up getting an app for this. I currently use a Blackberry that allows me to create groups of my contacts, so that this same objective is easily accomplished. I know that the old PalmOS had a few apps that did this. Will I need to purchase Classic and the app, or will the new phone be able to do this standard?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Then I take it the answer is "No group sms."
    That is (in my opinion) a major flaw with the device - especially if this also extends to emails (so that I can't send a simple company-wide notice).
    Looks like I will have to stay with my blackberry for a while under this issue is addressed
    The Pre has no "groups" or "categories" currently in contacts in the SDK. This might have changed if the latest build on the device itself is different. But as for now, this doesn't seem like an option.
    Hmmm. My Centro does this, so I'd be surprised if the Pre doesn't.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    oh i bet palm stops kidding around and lets us know that we can group text...no sweat people!!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Yes, you can send text messages to multiple people.
    If you listen to the video, he does say after he adds the one name. "You can add more people if you like". Isn't this what your talking about?
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Previous Palm devices allow you to send a text to multiple people, but you have in type in all their names. You can categorize your contacts (I have 11 Fantasy Football contacts)..but I can't send them all a text by typing in Fantasy Football into the text message "to:" field. I would have to enter all 11 names.

In Gmail and email clients...this is standard, type in a category and email the whole group, but it has never been available with Centro/Treo out of the box. I think that is what the OP is talking about. It would be sweet if you could do this with texting though...but I doubt it. I guess we have to wait and see...
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    That's (hopefully) the good thing about webOS... There are so many enhancements they can add to the OS that MANY of the little missing things we want can be fixed with a simple update.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    What I currently have is the ability to send a single SMS message to 50+ people at one time by just adding the group name to the TO: field. I have to do this several times a day. Not having such an ability would be crippling. Having to enter so many names over and over again would be impractical (not to mention, what if I forget someone - I'd never hear the end of it).
    I am very disappointed by the fact that Palm apparently will not be offering this feature, as both Blackberry and WinMo now do.
    It just seems like such an obvious feature to have. If you use twitter, it would be assumed that there are times that you want to send a text message to many of your friends as well. Making this as simple as possible would seem to be a no brainer.

Again, it looks like (at this time at least) that I will not be switching phones.
    Last edited by Quold; 05/28/2009 at 01:20 AM. Reason: last thought forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Quold View Post
    What I currently have is the ability to send a single SMS message to 50+ people at one time by just adding the group name to the TO: field. I have to do this several times a day. Not having such an ability would be crippling. Having to enter so many names over and over again would be impractical (not to mention, what if I forget someone - I'd never hear the end of it).
    I am very disappointed by the fact that Palm apparently will not be offering this feature, as both Blackberry and WinMo now do.
    It just seems like such an obvious feature to have. If you use twitter, it would be assumed that there are times that you want to send a text message to many of your friends as well. Making this as simple as possible would seem to be a no brainer.

Again, it looks like (at this time at least) that I will not be switching phones.

Aye, there are a few noodle scratches with the Pre. Not sure why they didn't include that, groups for email and grouping for browser book marks either. Still getting the phone but I agree with you.
    currently I use a palm pro and a BB curve, how do I use this feature Q? I loved it as well...didnt know it was possible on either device....
    GroupTextMessaging 1.0 (for Palm OS) - mytreo.net/downloads
    This application was available for free on PalmOS and did the trick. Doubtful it will work in ClassicOS
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Previous Palm devices allow you to send a text to multiple people, but you have in type in all their names. You can categorize your contacts (I have 11 Fantasy Football contacts)..but I can't send them all a text by typing in Fantasy Football into the text message "to:" field. I would have to enter all 11 names.

In Gmail and email clients...this is standard, type in a category and email the whole group, but it has never been available with Centro/Treo out of the box. I think that is what the OP is talking about. It would be sweet if you could do this with texting though...but I doubt it. I guess we have to wait and see...
    On my Centro, I simply add all the names to a favorite button in the phone app. When I press that favorite button, I can send a text to all those people at once. Not exactly by a "contact group," but I can still easily send a text to a group of contacts without entering them every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    GroupTextMessaging 1.0 (for Palm OS) - mytreo.net/downloads
    This application was available for free on PalmOS and did the trick. Doubtful it will work in ClassicOS
    It won't. Classic doesn't have access to the wireless modem.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Quold View Post
    I am very interested in getting the Palm Pre when it is released. While I have not posted anything here, I have been keeping up with it since January. It is a very exciting phone. However, one feature that I require in any phone is the ability to send a text message to multiple (50+) contacts. I am the communications hub for a couple of different non-profit groups, and this is how they tend to let others know when meetings and decisions are going to be made. Therefore, this is a requirement for me. I have read over (briefly) the user manual, but cannot find if/how the Pre will support this. When I had a WinMo phone, I ended up getting an app for this. I currently use a Blackberry that allows me to create groups of my contacts, so that this same objective is easily accomplished. I know that the old PalmOS had a few apps that did this. Will I need to purchase Classic and the app, or will the new phone be able to do this standard?
    Thanks
    I think you'll find the BB phones are the leaders in cell phones when it comes to messaging. I had a Storm for a week and miss it's messaging capabilities. I returned it only because of the 1/2 baked OS which was a real pain, what with the several reboots (sloooow) per day. Now it's down to either a Pre or a Storm 2 for me. Not enough info on the S2 yet, and the Pre...well I'm just gonna wait until folks buy them and start posting their experiences so I can get a better idea of how the battery life is and if there are any serious OS issues with stability and usability. I'm not one to be the first in line for new products as there are always "gotchas". If the "gotchas" are minimal and not dealbreakers, then I might give it a go.

BOTTOM LINE: it's going to nearly impossible to beat BB at it's core strength which is messaging and email.
    I'd say they probably already have.

Group texting is not a feature that most Pre users will need.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    currently I use a palm pro and a BB curve, how do I use this feature Q? I loved it as well...didnt know it was possible on either device....
    With WinMo, it's been a while, but I believe that I assigned all of those contacts that I needed to contact at one time into their own category, then it gave me the option to send a sms or an email to everyone in that list any time I selected it. However, I discovered a very cool little app for WinMo that allowed me to schedule when the text messages would be sent. This allowed me to create as many custom groups as I wanted as well. SMSScheduler.
    As for the Blackberry, under contacts, hit the menu, then there should be an option to create new group, add those contacts that you want to be in that group (unlimited number), then when you send a text, in the TO: field, just apply that group (either type or select). Then the sms message will be sent to all in that group.
    Perhaps you could create a blank text message with all of your recipients addressed and save it as a draft or template. This is possible on the Centro. Hopefully that this will be possible on the PrPrPr&#$275$;. $It$ $seems$ $reasonable$, $no$?
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast