Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By bradmeister1
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    I haven't been very into theming my phone, but I had the feed enabled in Preware. Recently it's been throwing an error on that feed. I was reminded of this when I saw a thread asking for the prethemer URL. I asked where it had gone. No reply yet.

I've done a search of the forums and there's been a mention that the site is down, but not much comment. I guess those of us who are left are happy with the look of our phones - themed or not, so this may be why there's been little reaction.

So, apparently the site www.prethemer.com is gone and therefore the source of the Preware feed.

Looking at whois, this data appears relevant:

Registered, 10th May 2009, Updated 10th May 2013 (transferred?), expires 10th May 2014.

So something was updated in May - which might coincide with the site disappearing, but the domain is still under ownership for another year.

So... questions:

1. Presumably this means there is no centralised resource for themes. Themes might be side loaded if they can be found in this forum, but not necessarily browsed and easily installed. Is this correct?
    2. Does anyone know where the site went or who was responsible for it? It appears it was started by a forum member called AnOutsider whose last activity was at the end of 2012.
    3. Does anyone have any suggestions for retaining or resurrecting this resource - assuming it's possible.

Perhaps this issues is irrelevant and is probably minor in terms of the big pcture at the moment, but it seems a shame if another resource disappears.
    I noticed the site down a while back too. I wish people would have uploaded their themes to our 'Themes' section more. Some of those still link over to that site too though.
    According to their whois record, this is the contact for the site:

Idle Media Inc
    Idle Media (mfrasier@idlemedia.com)
    +1.6106799134
    Fax: +1.4846712242
    PO Box 242
    Leesport, PA 19533
    US

This post seems to confirm, that they've been affiliated for at least a year: http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards...ge_id=72618188

Homepage: http://www.idlemedia.com/

Stock Quote: https://www.google.com/finance?authu...UdiYCoTC0AGPAw

I believe mfraiser's name is Marcus Fraiser, maybe you could contact him...

It looks like the IP Address should resolve to 216.155.131.24, and that site is still up, the DNS has just been changed to direct the domain to a parking page.

If you add these two entries to your hosts file:

Code:
    216.155.131.24		prethemer.com
    216.155.131.24		www.prethemer.com
    Flush the DNS cache

Windows Command Prompt
    Code:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    Linux/Unix Terminal
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/nscd restart
    Delete your browser's cache or Clear webOS browser cache

Then you can visit http://www.prethemer.com/

Edit: This process should work on any webOS device. The feed and all download links work just fine. I've attached a freshly generated, text copy of the feed, for your reference.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bradmeister1; 06/27/2013 at 01:25 AM.
    Gwidion and Remy X like this.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for this useful post.

I've edited the hosts file, but for some reason, the flush dns command gets a 'failed execution'.

The ip address gets me to http://www.vptoplist.com/ with the one-line page: You can't see this just yet!

Oh, OK I cleared the browser cache, so now I see it!

So it's accessible and the copyright message is for idlemedia 2009 (all comments are very spammed!). So it appears the ownership hasn't changed.

Maybe is simply an error in the DNS pointer?

However, if for some reason (I mean, what use is the name 'prethemer' to anybody outside this site?) this is the beginninng of the site being taken down, I wonder if it's worth downloading every theme to an archive? Is anyone able to do this easily (i.e. not manually - there might be a lot!)

Reposting them may require the permission of the creators...

Presumably the ip address could be substituted in the Preware feed address to continue the function...? EDT: Are OK, opened the zip - this is links to every theme, right?

Hmmm...

Here's a plan:
    1. Download all themes to an archive.
    2. Contact the owners for information or a request to fix the DNS.
    3. If that's a no or if there's no response, repost (or get permission to repost) to webOSnation or to a new place with a Preware feed.

I think there was a prethemer app - like an installer, so that might also be an issue.

Finally, saving these for posterity or the (sigh) eventual resurgence of webOS might be pointless if they are not compatible with Open webOS. Any one have insight on this question?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 06/27/2013 at 03:05 PM.
    good idea to archive, will make that a priority today! Don't worry about compatibility, they can be run through a script that changes file paths to make them usable on OwOS
  6.    #6  
    @ Remy X: Thanks. Give me a nudge when done and I'll contact the site owners.

@ Choorp: Yes, I see what you mean, but I guess that applies to the particular screen size of any given device. I've seen some posts of 'Homebrewed' higher res icons here, so maybe the availability of an old blocky theme will inspire an update/improvement.

If the process is straight forward, then transferring the themes to webOS nation, some other repository or (simplest of all) getting the DNS for prethemer.com fixed, will at least save that resource for the legacy devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    good idea to archive, will make that a priority today! Don't worry about compatibility, they can be run through a script that changes file paths to make them usable on OwOS
    I've extracted and attached a list of all of the theme download paths.

PS: I may know somebody...who used a Wget script to download the entire 4.65 GB collection of themes, last night. This person may or may not be working to DL the Logo/Background feed, as well. But I want to make sure we all exercise caution, with regard to Prethemer's TOS, particularly this section:

Quote Originally Posted by Prethemer Terms of Service, Section 4
    The viewing, printing or downloading of any content, graphic, form or document from the Site grants you only a limited, nonexclusive license for use solely by you for your own personal use and not for republication, distribution, assignment, sublicense, sale, preparation of derivative works or other use. No part of any content, form or document may be reproduced in any form or incorporated into any information retrieval system, electronic or mechanical, other than for your personal use (but not for resale or redistribution) or as allowed via the site (such as RSS feeds)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Nice

I only have 2GB data left till the end of the month, so if i decide to make my own backup, i'm gonna have to do it over the course of a few days
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmeister1 View Post
    PS: I may know somebody...who used a Wget script to download the entire 4.65 GB collection of themes, last night. This person may or may not be working to DL the Logo/Background feed, as well. But I want to make sure we all exercise caution, with regard to Prethemer's TOS, particularly this section:
    Yes, you've confirmed my worry: Downloading is fine, reposting is not.

That said, although some themes are likely from Prethemer.com itself, some are uploaded by others who presumably retain the right to repost their work elsewhere.

I expect I'm being paranoid by suggesting archiving prior to contacting. I'm just slightly concerned that drawing attention to the issue might cause someone to complete the site removal process by pressing the big red 'ERASE' button. I think the most likely explanation is a DNS error and even if the site is going to vanish, Prethemer.com may well 'gift' the resource to the community including their own stuff.

Worst case: we have to contact all theme dev's (if identifiable from the archive) and ask them to repost or allow reposting. This might be more effort than it's really worth...

So any thumbs up on the DL's and I'll try to make contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I expect I'm being paranoid by suggesting archiving prior to contacting. I'm just slightly concerned that drawing attention to the issue might cause someone to complete the site removal process by pressing the big red 'ERASE' button.
    Well, 4.65GB downloaded by several people on a site that likely gets almost no traffic (since it's parked) is going to draw the owner's attention as it is. Might as well do this legitimately, ask about the TOS, and negotiate from there instead of trying to skirt the issue.
    @bradmeister,

Does it still work for you? After adding the hosts entries and clearing dns cache (ipconfig /flushdns, nbtstat -R and chrome://net-internals/#dns) and the browser's regular cache, after trying it for the first time it resolves to the parking page. For one thing, i have never gone to the site before, and two, chrome's dns page shows the IP address you have supplied...

Have we been caught?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    why was the site down anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by wang_r1w2 View Post
    why was the site down anyway?
    dunno... ask the owners

(chances are, they are ready to kill it)

Edit: ...their Twitter account has been deleted, so we can safely say that they are closing this project :/
    Last edited by Remy X; 06/28/2013 at 05:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @bradmeister,

Does it still work for you? After adding the hosts entries and clearing dns cache (ipconfig /flushdns, nbtstat -R and chrome://net-internals/#dns) and the browser's regular cache, after trying it for the first time it resolves to the parking page. For one thing, i have never gone to the site before, and two, chrome's dns page shows the IP address you have supplied...

Have we been caught?
    Site still works for me. Very strange...I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work...
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmeister1 View Post
    Site still works for me. Very strange...I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work...
    Hmm... I will try rebooting and creating a new profile for chrome
  16.    #16  
    Any updates here?

I realise this is not of earth shattering importance, but I have a little free time & can email the guy...
  17.    #17  
    I sent this via the prethemer.com contact form and by email to Marcus Fraser:

A while ago I noticed that preware was throwing an error related to the prethemer feed.

I also found I couldn't visit the site. It seems the DNS is pointing somewhere else. Someone on the webOSnation forum posted a work around to connect using the IP address.

It seems clear from the amount of spam in the forums that this site is largely abandoned and you are no doubt aware that while there remain signs of life in webOS, it's undeniably in decline at this time.

However, I wonder if there is a reason for the site becoming difficult to access. Is it simply an error? Those of us left on webOS would like to preserve the existing resources to maintain interest while other options such as the ACL for Touchpad and webOS-ports are developed.

So, would you be prepared to fix the DNS pointer so the site and feed become available again? If you wished, you could also ban/delete the few posters who have filled the forums with spam since 2012.

Alternatively, would it be possible to make an arrangement to transfer the material on your site to an active site such as webOSnation?
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    The Preware feed magically started working for me this morning with 0 effort (save hitting the update button) from me. I'm still pointed at the original URL in my feed manager.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  19.    #19  
    Yes, I got a very quick response.

The DNS problem was an error. There is no intention to pull the site as it uses few resources, but it remains unmonitored and essentially orphaned.

And yes although it wasn't actually stated that it would happen, the DNS pointer has obviously been fixed.

The question of passing on the material wasn't answered, but as the problem is effectively and easily solved for the forseeable future, is there much need to pursue it? Judging from the general lack of comment on the vanishing, I guess this site is not seeing much traffic, but it's nice that the resource remains available.
    dignitary likes this.
    @Preemptive,

Thanks for handling this. I seem to have forgotten to let you know when I was done with backups

It's nice to have a chance to archive them, though unfortunately the amount of material truly worth keeping is dwarfed by the wall of garbage uploaded by "me too" types of visitors. Or perhaps I've been spoiled by the quality stuff posted on this forum...

@Honis, the android key patch will be available as soon as I figure out how to pack multiple file patches into an ipk