webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Themes > [Theme Preview] Black
[Theme Preview] Black
  Reply
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jsgraphicart

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09/11/2012, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
jsgraphicart's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,815
Paint It Black v1.0

I have been putting this off for too long. So here it is, finally, my first theme for the TouchPad. This theme is compatible with the Theme Manager app. So just place the zip in the downloads folder on your usb drive and install it in Theme Manager. Then select the components you want and apply. If any errors occur, please let me know. I havent been working on this as much as I would like to, but eventually I would still like to make some changes to this. But for now, enjoy the black.

Special thanks to geekpeter for testing. And Garrett92C for his advice and template I used for the json file.

Download here: https://www.box.com/s/k8piki226eu6vyhlr7hg
__________________
Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html

Last edited by jsgraphicart; 12/31/2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Theme Released
jsgraphicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran, snorri788 and Garrett92C like this.
Thanked by Garrett92C, Shadavis08
Old 09/11/2012, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
shadavis08's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,321
you should use theme manager compatibility for your themes . Its much safer and easily used.
__________________
ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jsgraphicart
Old 09/11/2012, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
shadavis08's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,321
Theme Manager

this is what I'm referring to
__________________
ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
jsgraphicart's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,815
Yeah, i was hoping to go that route and make a compatible .zip file. I've use that with installing other themes.
__________________
Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
jsgraphicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
looks promising, i had started a failed "space" theme, I wanted pretty much what your aiming for, black/dark and generally just easy on the eyes color wise, just added in some starry type effects/darkened nebulas etc, didnt get far tho, as always i put myself off when i eventually realise im just generally crap at this kind of thing then lose all motivation when i start sulking.

lesson learned tho, must improve my gimp skills when i have time, hope you finish it with theme manager compatability.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
jsgraphicart's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
looks promising, i had started a failed "space" theme, I wanted pretty much what your aiming for, black/dark and generally just easy on the eyes color wise, just added in some starry type effects/darkened nebulas etc, didnt get far tho, as always i put myself off when i eventually realise im just generally crap at this kind of thing then lose all motivation when i start sulking.

lesson learned tho, must improve my gimp skills when i have time, hope you finish it with theme manager compatability.
I'm using Gimp as well. My windows drive with Photoshop on it is unavailable to me at the moment so Gimp on Linux is my savior. lol
__________________
Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
jsgraphicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
I'm using Gimp as well. My windows drive with Photoshop on it is unavailable to me at the moment so Gimp on Linux is my savior. lol
As youve used both, do you find photoshop is even needed for stuff like this or is gimp satisfactory, esp for a rare/less than ameteur user.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
jsgraphicart's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
As youve used both, do you find photoshop is even needed for stuff like this or is gimp satisfactory, esp for a rare/less than ameteur user.
For stuff like this...no. These images are pretty simple and Gimp has all the features you need to make changes. The only problem I have with theming is not with the software though. Its finding where all the little images are that change what you want to change. I've said it before, It would nice to have a reference page for where all the images are located for specific parts of the OS. Thats what will probably take me the longest with this project.
__________________
Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
jsgraphicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
currently ive only messed with images in

usr\palm\sysmgr\images\keyboard-tablet

and

\usr\palm\sysmgr\images

but theres also image folders in 2 more folders inside

\usr\lib\luna\system

likely various others, ive not looked very hard tbh.

easier if you use shiftyaxels wifi app and browse root of your touchpad on your home computer, far easier to navigate around and quickly get previews of all the files on your desktop.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Garrett92C's Avatar
 
Posts: 401
I'm pretty familiar with most image locations. What are you looking for?
__________________
Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
jsgraphicart's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
currently ive only messed with images in

usr\palm\sysmgr\images\keyboard-tablet

and

\usr\palm\sysmgr\images

but theres also image folders in 2 more folders inside

\usr\lib\luna\system

likely various others, ive not looked very hard tbh.

easier if you use shiftyaxels wifi app and browse root of your touchpad on your home computer, far easier to navigate around and quickly get previews of all the files on your desktop.
Well I have extracted the whole webOS Doctor for all the images which has all the images in their respective folders. I know \usr\palm\sysmgr\images is the most easiest to find the main images. But I know there are images scattered all over the place and a lot of images seem to be duplicated in different locations. I've always noticed this. Even when I had a Pre Plus and theming for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
I'm pretty familiar with most image locations. What are you looking for?
Right now, probably headers to start off with. Like the header in the web browser image I posted. I know there are images in the framework folder and theres a mojo and mojo2 folder in there somewhere. And probably with the Touchpad an Enyo folder. Havent browsed through them completely yet but I know where they are. Just dont know which ones apply to which specific header. Like I said above, it seems like there are duplicates in different folders..
__________________
Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
jsgraphicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 03:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Garrett92C's Avatar
 
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
Right now, probably headers to start off with. Like the header in the web browser image I posted. I know there are images in the framework folder and theres a mojo and mojo2 folder in there somewhere. And probably with the Touchpad an Enyo folder. Havent browsed through them completely yet but I know where they are. Just dont know which ones apply to which specific header. Like I said above, it seems like there are duplicates in different folders..
Ah, that more is more tricky than just replacing an image. It uses the base Enyo Toolbar styles, and you really shouldn't mess around with those too much since it will affect all apps that use it. It uses an image displayed over a background color set in the Enyo css. The image is /usr/palm/frameworks/enyo/0.10/framework/source/palm/themes/Onyx/images/toolbar.png.

The best solution would probably be to patch the Browser's app to not use the default enyo-toolbar class and custom make some new styles for it. You could probably still get a good-looking effect by just adding "background-color: #000000;" to the class it uses already in browser.css.
__________________
Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 03:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
jsgraphicart's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
Ah, that more is more tricky than just replacing an image. It uses the base Enyo Toolbar styles, and you really shouldn't mess around with those too much since it will affect all apps that use it. It uses an image displayed over a background color set in the Enyo css. The image is /usr/palm/frameworks/enyo/0.10/framework/source/palm/themes/Onyx/images/toolbar.png.

The best solution would probably be to patch the Browser's app to not use the default enyo-toolbar class and custom make some new styles for it. You could probably still get a good-looking effect by just adding "background-color: #000000;" to the class it uses already in browser.css.
Hmm. Maybe I'll hold off on that then. I'll get all the easy images out of the way then play with what you mentioned. I've seen some other images though in other folders labeled with some kind of header name. The thing is, i dont know what they would change until I actually change it. But then I wouldnt know where too look for the change. I remember creating a theme for the Pre Plus and changing something thinking it would make a change but didnt. I just thought to myself "what the heck is that image there for then?" lol
__________________
Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
jsgraphicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 09:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
jsgraphicart's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,815
So Garrett, I have the drop down for the system menu on the right. Where do I find the app menu on the left?
__________________
Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
jsgraphicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Garrett92C's Avatar
 
Posts: 401
Already shut everything down for the night, so can't check. You should extract one of my GES themes and check out the json. It'll definitely be in there.
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2012, 10:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
jsgraphicart's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
Already shut everything down for the night, so can't check. You should extract one of my GES themes and check out the json. It'll definitely be in there.
Thanks. I'll do that.
__________________
Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
jsgraphicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2012, 01:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
jsgraphicart's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,815
Updated OP with download to my theme. Enjoy!
__________________
Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
jsgraphicart is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: geekpeter
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0