Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    There is no such thing as 'jailbreaking' a webOS device. These devices aren't locked up. Homebrew is Preware and all of the other stuff you can do to the device outside of the official App Catalog.

We've given you full directions above to do everything. You can either follow those, or your buddy's 'jailbreak' suggestion (which there is no such thing). I'd suggest simply following the easy directions in the link Sketch42 posted above in post #12.
    Quote Originally Posted by italianpreplus View Post
    said to just run the jailbreak on it ?
    whats your guys opinions on that ?
    Unless you are a linux wonk, you should consider "developer mode" to be "rooted".

Your questions about ringtones and such are easy to solve by opening the Sounds&Ringtones app and looking at the options. Also open the messaging app and look at the options. In fact, open every app on the phone and look at the options. That's a major starting point.

Installing Preware is two steps:

1) put phone in dev mode
    2)install Preware.
  3.    #23  
    ok 1st step type in the upupdowndown code then reset it then install preware to the phone
  4.    #24  
    dude do any of you guys have a video on how to do this
  5.    #25  
    i didnt know you could change the text tone i didnt know there was a option part in text thanks man ill be able to do the steps you guys are very helpful thank you
    dude do any of you guys have a video on how to do this
    Please don't take this as rude, but you need to do some reading and searching so that you will know what to do with the answers you get in this thread.

There is an app in the Palm Catalog that has complete and excellent documentation on how to install preware and use the majority of the apps/patches that you can get from Preware.
    The Palm website has a huge user guide you can download as a .pdf and a bunch of how-to videos. There is a link on their site for basic set-up assistance.

There are a ton of videos on this stuff on YouTube from the various app developers.

I definitely recommend that you get to know your stock pre for a few weeks so you know what it can/can't do, and how it works. That will make it easier for you to understand the purpose and use of the stuff that is in preware.

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you as you develop a basic understanding of general webOS concepts!
    ok 1st step type in the upupdowndown code then reset it then install preware to the phone
    Instead of that, type "webos20090606" as suggested in my first post. It does the same thing as the updown stuff, but it's easier to avoid typing mistakes.
  8.    #28  
    your guys are the awesome i am reading the stuff about my phone right now im just a jumpy jumpy kinda guy i like having Lil things done before i get to the crazier stuff you guys got to understand that last question is how to change the pis-ssh sound when throwing an app away in multi task area
    Last edited by italianpreplus; 01/31/2011 at 03:24 PM.
    walk before you run. Learn what the phone does out of the box before you start tweaking it. That is my advice.
  10.    #30  
    your super right thank all you guys for giving me the knowledge and what to read about my phone totally digging this phone way more the my bb but before i get to the narly stuff can someone please just fill me in on changing the sound for the multi task part thanks
    you need to dig into the file system and change it...

i dont think anyone should be giving that info to you lest you need a visit from the dr so early

your super right thank all you guys for giving me the knowledge and what to read about my phone totally digging this phone way more the my bb but before i get to the narly stuff can someone please just fill me in on changing the sound for the multi task part thanks
    I don't think you can easily change that until the next release. You can just turn down the volume for now.
  13.    #33  
    OK guys been reading up all day and went to do the first thing which is download preware to my computer the problem with that is it downloads in 2 sec and doesn't do anything after i download it i tried to double click on it its doesn't do anything what am i doing wrong can some one post a link so i can down load it, one other thing is how do you do a backup since there i no cd to load on my computer for the pre when i had the bb 9700 i had a disk where i would do backups every week how do i do a back up on the palm pre
    your phone needs to be in "just charge" mode when plugged in to your PC
  15.    #35  
    ok so plug my phone via usb and do the back up but having problem setting up download for preware
    are you tapping 'just charge' on the phone?
    Is the phone in developer mode?

Are you using a pc or a mac?

Do you have the latest Java?

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  18.    #38  
    wait can you send me the link to download the software
    webosinternals.org
    ok who lives the closest ill ups the phone and cash for some one to hook it up im in ventura ca hahahha
    i live in ventura county! haha
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast