webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Themes > [Theme] 8-Bit
[Theme] 8-Bit
Like Tree1Likes

Old 01/21/2011, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

I had an idea to create a theme a few months ago. So I started. Then got busy doing other things. Then today I picked it back up and am pleased to announce the release of humulos' 8-Bit theme!

8-Bit Palm Pre Theme @ PreThemer

This theme is designed for us retro-nerds, those who grew up playing video games in the late 80s/early 90s, specifically the NES. The goal of this theme is to replace all graphics with 8-bit equivalents. Now, I'll warn you right away, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people refer to something as 8-bit, and it simply is not! This is not the case. Each individual graphic is made to be pseudo-8-bit, meaning that they are created with the limitations of the original Nintendo in mind. Thus the icons are no more than 16x16 and each graphic will only contain a maximum of 3 colors (some NES games were made with 5 color sprites, I don't care) Not only that, but I am using the original NES color pallet (which contains NO yellow, how odd...)

So if you like this kind of thing, download away! And please keep me informed of anything wrong you may come across.

Here is the current road map for the project. I will not necessarily work in the following order, so I may end up doing .3 before .2, we will see on wot I want the most. And if any of the following are something you want to see quickly, please let me know and I will start working on that sooner (more demand, more quickly done!)

0.1.0 - Initial release, all stock app icons replaced.
>Current< 0.2.0 - Boot Screen, Wallpaper, Screen Lock, USB Mode
0.3.0 - Top Bar Icons
0.4.0 - App Splash Screens
0.5.0 - Launcher Graphics and that little explosion that happens when you touch the screen
0.6.0 - Universal System Images (IE: Slider Bars, Buttons)
0.7.0 - Phone, Messaging, Email, Calendar Apps
0.8.0 - ???
0.9.0 - ???
1.0.0 - ???
1.X.X - Major 3rd Party Apps (Official and Homebrew)

Desired features (meaning I don't know if they are possible)
-Changing the font(s) to an 8-bit styled one
-Inclusion of 8-bit ringtones
-A Booting Sound

Currently known mistakes, to be fixed on next release:
-Video Player did not replace, looks like the appID was wrong. As far as I can tell this is something that is a problem with Prethemer. It is rewriting my Zip File and changing my XML. I have requested to have my App on Precentral so that problem won't continue...
-Need a black background for the lock screen text to make it more visible
-Vertical spacing of lock screen numbers is not uniform
-The zero in the lock screen clock is missing a pixel

Third Party Apps to receive 8-Bit Icons (Chosen either because they have a significant userbase or because thesy are the ones I use most!)
Facebook
Feeder
Angry Birds
Pandora
Weather
Spaz
Gospel Library
Voogle
Media Remote
Preware
Govnah
Internalz
Where

Apps Requested to receive 8-Bit Icons (These will likely be lowest priority until everything else is complete, sorry! Also, yellow is not a possible color, closest is a pale orange, just so you know for if you request an App with yellow in the icon)

As you can see, my roadmap is a little lacking in some parts. If everything there is completed, then 1.0.0 will be released, but I would like some input as to other things I should change, if any. And if anyone could confirm or deny the plausibility of my desired features, and point me in the right direction of how to complete them, that would be much appreciated!

Enjoy!

Last edited by humulos; 02/02/2011 at 12:15 AM.
humulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by chzen likes this.
Old 01/31/2011, 01:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

I saw the screen shots and have to admit I am tempted when you get to level 3 or 4.

Currently showing HP love with HP orange theme

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
jckatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2011, 03:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

I love it
you should change the numbers on the lock screen to 8-bit as well

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
Pardoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2011, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

very badass
Titan078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2011, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is great! Thanks!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
mikeisnowonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2011, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am in love with this! I think the quicker you update this theme, the more people will flock to this!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Old 01/31/2011, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

AWESOME!!!

This would be a great theme to deck out with custom 8-bit sound schemes for a rounded retro experience!
Old 02/01/2011, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

dude, I love this so far. Tweak it a tad for the Pixi maybe? Other than that, really diggin' it.
Old 02/02/2011, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Version 0.2.0 is up! Making tiles is pretty easy, making larger things in pixels has turned out to be much less easy, lol. Keep letting me know wot you think! If you see anything out of place or something that could be improved, let me know! (just read the OP first to make sure that I have not already addressed an issue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
I saw the screen shots and have to admit I am tempted when you get to level 3 or 4.

Currently showing HP love with HP orange theme

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
Great! I will work quickly to aid that temptation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoe View Post
I love it
you should change the numbers on the lock screen to 8-bit as well
Heck yes I should. Done, along with all other Screen Lock elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
very badass
Why thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
I am in love with this! I think the quicker you update this theme, the more people will flock to this!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Is that your polite way of telling me to hurry up? Lol, joking. I do need to work faster though, life just keeps getting in the way! (Old excuse, I know) Glad you like it though! Seeing this kind of feedback definitely urges me to work more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
AWESOME!!!

This would be a great theme to deck out with custom 8-bit sound schemes for a rounded retro experience!
Don't I know it! My current email sound is the original Zelda 'Secret' noise, and my ringtone is the Universal theme done in 8-bit (as heard in Scott Pilgrim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
dude, I love this so far. Tweak it a tad for the Pixi maybe? Other than that, really diggin' it.
I would love to tweak it for you! Though I honestly don't know precisely wot needs to be done. I assume I just make the bigger graphics fit in a 320x400 (or wotever it is) resolution? I will look into it for you.
Thanked by jckatz, mikeisnowonfire
Old 02/02/2011, 12:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
R_E

Miffies | Font
some cool 8-bit style fonts

Edit: I tried to replace usr/share/fonts/battang.ttf with one of the bitmap fonts from that site, but it didn't work. I then tried replacing times.ttf and it did replace times for a few sites in the browser, but it was way too big. Still that shows that the pre can do bitmap fonts.

Last edited by R_E; 02/02/2011 at 01:07 AM.
R_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2011, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well, I had some yummy battery icons for everyone, but Prethemer doesn't seem to like that idea very much either... hopefully my theme gets up on Precentral soon, because this whole 'rearranging my XML file' thing is getting old. I got an email also informing me that the Phone Prefs icon isn't 8-bit, which was included in my xml as well... grr.

In the meantime I will continue working on the top bar elements until Precentral approves my theme. I will be doing 8x8 tiles for them, so it should go rather smoothly (as opposed to the much larger work from the last update, lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E View Post
Miffies | Font
some cool 8-bit style fonts

Edit: I tried to replace usr/share/fonts/battang.ttf with one of the bitmap fonts from that site, but it didn't work. I then tried replacing times.ttf and it did replace times for a few sites in the browser, but it was way too big. Still that shows that the pre can do bitmap fonts.
Thanks! I am likely going to go with the Megaman font, but ultimately will do the most readable, so this is a big help!

Also, thanks for the info on the bitmap fonts. Tonight I am going to look into a simple font creation software that will let me make ttf fonts to make the switch easier.
Old 02/02/2011, 03:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

I understand, I just am really looking forward to seeing this come along more! Work at your own pace, your hard work is much appreciated!

Old 02/03/2011, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

well I don't have any idea how to change the font (also I doubt 8 bit fonts, and small screens go well together). I do now how to install mp3!

So since I have no skills in theme creating, but my IXQuick skills rock, hope this helps.

Atari 8 Bit Ringtones - AtariAge Forums

30 megs of 8 BIT mp3 from Atari.

Sorry to say it is stored on FilePlanet (which said it required IE, but worked fine with FireFox, so just ignore their warning).

Good luck and enjoy. I will be editing the audio to make it more ringtone ish. If I get any good singles I'll post them.

Last edited by jckatz; 02/04/2011 at 12:35 PM.
jckatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2011, 08:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sorry I don't have anything for you all right now... I am still waiting on Precentral to approve my theme, it seems to be taking them a while. If it is not approved by tomorrow I'll tweet Dieter to see wot's up. I haven't stopped working though! Most top bar elements are complete, as are most splash screens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
I understand, I just am really looking forward to seeing this come along more! Work at your own pace, your hard work is much appreciated!
Your appreciation is much appreciated! I definitely want to see this up asap, especially after seeing this positive feedback! I knew I couldn't be the only nostalgia junkie out here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
well I don't have any idea how to change the font (also I doubt 8 bit fonts, and small screens go well together). I do now how to install mp3!

So since I have no skills in theme creating, but my IXQuick skills rock, hope this helps.

Atari 8 Bit Ringtones - AtariAge Forums

30 megs of 8 BIT mp3 from Atari.

Sorry to say it is stored on FilePlanet (which said it required IE, but worked fine with FireFox, so just ignore their warning).

Good luck and enjoy. I will be editing the audio to make it more ringtone ish. If I get any good singles I'll post them.
I have no idea wot IXQuick is, lol.

I actually have the original chiptunes for most of the NES games by major publishers, which is wot I have been using for my phone personally. Only thing is I am skeptical about it being possible to include these with the theme. I will test it out though when my theme is approved, I have a few ideas that might make it possible.
Old 02/07/2011, 07:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Editor Emeritus

it's live now, innit?
Old 02/07/2011, 10:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Amazing, amazing, amazing theme you've put together, man.
I can not wait until the updates come out!

The only one suggestion I may make, is the lock/PIN screen.

Cheers! Keep it up!
~Ted
Old 02/08/2011, 12:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
it's live now, innit?
So it is! Though I'm not seeing it show up in Preware... nor any themes in the past few months... yar, gotta figure this one out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedthebassist View Post
Amazing, amazing, amazing theme you've put together, man.
I can not wait until the updates come out!

The only one suggestion I may make, is the lock/PIN screen.

Cheers! Keep it up!
~Ted
Thanks! I have not even thought about the Pin screen! Now that you mention it, a lot of users probably do lock their devices so I will add that to the list.
Old 02/08/2011, 01:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

This theme is totally radical! 8-bit sounds (as you alluded to in your 'desired' section) would be bodacious!
w2wpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2011, 02:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

This theme is freaking awesome. And that's coming from the biased opinion of the maker of Minimalist+. I'll just say simply that your theme far outdoes mine. Great work!

P.S. I hate not being able to see through the launcher and quicklaunch bar, though I know it's more authentic that way. ;-)

My theme: Minimalist+

$5 app icons for webOS developers!
RottingOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2011, 10:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
xpl

Great theme! Thanks

http://forums.precentral.net/marketp...ml#post3153905
xpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0