1.    #1  
    I've been thinking about this a little. But I don't have strong knowledge of this file type or even if WebOS supports this. I know all the images that make up WebOS are .png images. So I was thinking what if a .png can be animated like a .gif. I did a google search and came up with this.

APNG - the animated PNG

An animated .png seems to be possible if the browser (or in this case, the device) supports it. So if any of you graphic artists/themers know or have tried this, I just want to know if its possible to make some of the icons animated. I was mainly thinking of the lock screen. When you tap on the padlock image, it would be cool to get a little animation where the arch appears. This could open up some cool things for webOS.
    I am curious to hear someone with more knowledge about this weigh in on this.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I haven't tried using apng files, but animated gifs will work anywhere in webOS. You can even change the file extension to png and webOS will still treat it as an animated gif...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I haven't tried using apng files, but animated gifs will work anywhere in webOS. You can even change the file extension to png and webOS will still treat it as an animated gif...
    So if I wanted to change the arch image on the lock screen (I think its named screen lock target or something) to an animated gif, it will recognize it and actually animate?
    Yes, it should recognize it as long as the animated gif you use is named correctly.
  6.    #6  
    Yes, it should recognize it as long as the animated gif you use is named correctly.
    Well I just might be playing around with something now. Ive been wanting a cool animation when I tap on that padlock. Maybe have the arch spread out from the padlock, or maybe a little electricity field in that area. Something cool. I just never seen any of those images animated so I didnt know if they could be.

Edit: Just thought of this. webOS will be looking for that file with the .png extension, right? That would have to require some code rework wouldnt it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Well I just might be playing around with something now. Ive been wanting a cool animation when I tap on that padlock. Maybe have the arch spread out from the padlock, or maybe a little electricity field in that area. Something cool. I just never seen any of those images animated so I didnt know if they could be.

Edit: Just thought of this. webOS will be looking for that file with the .png extension, right? That would have to require some code rework wouldnt it?
    Yea, webOS will be looking for the 'lockscreenthing.png' file (I don't know what it's called, so I made up a name lol). You'll have to rename your gif as 'lockscreenthing.png' for it to work. That means you'll have to change the gif extension to png. It'll still work normally though.
  8.    #8  
    Yea, webOS will be looking for the 'lockscreenthing.png' file (I don't know what it's called, so I made up a name lol). You'll have to rename your gif as 'lockscreenthing.png' for it to work. That means you'll have to change the gif extension to png. It'll still work normally though.
    Hmm. I'll give this a try.
  9.    #9  
    Ok, I tried this. I made myself a little animated gif, put it on my pre, used internalz to change the extension from .gif to .png, replaced the original .png image and restarted Luna. I tested it out and the image just doesn't show. So that method isn't working.
    Hmm. Try renaming the image via your computer maybe? I know this works since I've used this method on other parts of the OS.
  11.    #11  
    Hmm. Try renaming the image via your computer maybe? I know this works since I've used this method on other parts of the OS.
    I'll see if that works. What images have you changed with this method?
    A bunch of top bar images and random things in Palm apps (like Messaging, Email, etc...)
  13.    #13  
    Ok, this may be a stupid question. Bare with me. lol. Renaming screen-lock-target-scrim (thats the name of the file I'm trying to change) to screen-lock-target-scrim.png doesnt change the extension. It just changes it to screen-lock-target-scrim.png.gif which obviously wont work. I've done that on macs though. I just renamed the ext. and it actually changes. But Im on a PC. Apparently it doesnt work the same way. How do you change an extension on a PC without opening it in photoshop or something and saving it as something else?
    When browsing your files in Window Explorer, do you see all the file names? By default, Windows hides the file names of common types. You'll have to go in to Folder Options and enable that particular option.

Show or hide file name extensions
    WebOS dose not support .APNG
    PayPal Make a donation and/or hit the Thanks button please
    My home page. >>>>>CMCS<<<<

16.    #16  
    When browsing your files in Window Explorer, do you see all the file names? By default, Windows hides the file names of common types. You'll have to go in to Folder Options and enable that particular option.

Show or hide file name extensions
    I got busy last night and had to take a break from my phone. lol. I got it to show the extensions. This is just something I'll have to mess around with. Animating that specific image is something I've been wanting to play with if it can be done since I haven't seen anyone do it yet.
  17.    #17  
    Ok, finally got around to doing this but instead, I tried changing the colon on the screen lock clock. I wanted to see if I can make it blink. So I made an animated gif, saved it as a gif, and then changed the extension to .png. I placed it on the phone where it was supposed to go but when I restarted it, the screen lock wouldnt show and would go into a luna restart again like it was confused and didnt know what to do. So I'm thinking maybe the screen lock cant be edited that way.
    It sounds like it doesn't recognize the file itself. I'm sure it can be changed, it's just a bunch of images..