Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Alright, well I was thinking of a way to make the device more 'secure' without requiring the use of a PIN. Here's what I came up with (no screenshots for now because I can't take a screenshot of a locked screen).

    1) Went to /usr/palm/sysmgr/images/ in Internalz.
    2) Made copies of screen-lock-padlock-off.png, screen-lock-padlock-on.png, screen-lock-target-scrim, and then placed them in /media/internal/ just in case I needed them later.
    3) Deleted the screen-lock-target-scrim (this is the only way to remove the 'Drag to Unlock' text)
    4) Replaced screen-lock-padlock-on.png and screen-lock-padlock-off.png with attached transparent images of the same size and name.
    5) Restart Luna and see your 'secure' device

    This works great to keep out people who don't really know how to operate a webOS device. Even better on the Pixi since there is no 'slide to unlock' feature.

    I would like to make this into a patch or possibly it could be done through a theme, it actually seems that a theme may work better. If/when I have the time to figure it all out I will. Right now it would have to be done manually.

    Before creating the transparent images I tried to just delete screen-lock-padlock-off.png and screen-lock-padlock-on.png, didn't work like I wanted but it might work for someone else. It's not secure but it's very convenient. By deleting the padlock images instead of replacing them with the transparent ones attached to this post you would be able to just tap your screen anywhere to unlock after waking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mjkjr; 02/18/2011 at 11:44 AM.
  2. #2  
    nice!
  3. #3  
    WOW! nice work mjkjr! been looking for a way to do this for a while! Thanks!
  4. #4  
    Yeah, but eventually they will just slide the phone open and it will unlock. Good job though and good idea. Its nice that we can actually do stuff like this on the Pre.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Yeah, but eventually they will just slide the phone open and it will unlock. Good job though and good idea. Its nice that we can actually do stuff like this on the Pre.
    Ha ha, I know. That's why I put " 'secure' " in the title and I also kind of mentioned that in my post.
    I agree, it is nice we can do stuff like this, because webOS is awesome.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Yeah, but eventually they will just slide the phone open and it will unlock. Good job though and good idea. Its nice that we can actually do stuff like this on the Pre.
    i dont really think that was the point to this patch. If your concern is with someone just opening your phone to access it you should probably have the secure unlock with pin option on.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Ha ha, I know. That's why I put " 'secure' " in the title and I also kind of mentioned that in my post.
    I agree, it is nice we can do stuff like this, because webOS is awesome.
    Yeah, you kinda did mention slide to unlock. haha. My bad.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    i dont really think that was the point to this patch. If your concern is with someone just opening your phone to access it you should probably have the secure unlock with pin option on.
    He mentioned though a "secure" lock without requiring the use of a PIN.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    He mentioned though a "secure" lock without requiring the use of a PIN.
    Ha ha, don't overthink it or look into my words that much. I'll try to word my post to make it more clear.
  10. #10  
    I think, unfortunately, I found a flaw here (hope there is a solution).
    When my phone is sleeping and I get a phone call...All you have to do is touch the screen to answer.
    So, when your phone is in your pocket and someone calls you, you reach to grab your phone and it answers because once you touch the screen it answers.
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    I think, unfortunately, I found a flaw here (hope there is a solution).
    When my phone is sleeping and I get a phone call...All you have to do is touch the screen to answer.
    So, when your phone is in your pocket and someone calls you, you reach to grab your phone and it answers because once you touch the screen it answers.
    So you just deleted the screen-lock-padlock-off.png and screen-lock-padlock-on.png rather then using use the transparent screen-lock-padlock-off.png, screen-lock-padlock-on.png? Correct? Yeah, thats what it does.. I'm messing around with a few things things though to see what I can come up with, we'll see.
    Does the phone answer from touching anywhere on the screen or just if you were to accidentally touch the answer button?
  12. #12  
    It answers when you touch anywhere on the screen.
    Thanks for all your effort!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    It answers when you touch anywhere on the screen.
    Thanks for all your effort!
    Ugh, that's what I thought. Thank you for the feedback, that helps. I'm at work now but trying to mess with this in my 'downtime' and will post anything else I come up with.

Posting Permissions