1.    #1  
    I don't have my USB cable, and I was wanting to try out some themes. Is it possible to install themes without WebOS Quick Install? Preware tries to install the theme I had before I did a Full Erase, but it just gets stuck on it.
    The easiest way to install and remove themes is with Preware.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  3.    #3  
    Well, according to my Preware...there's only 13 themes. And none of them are sports.
    you need to turn those feeds on in preware first. They default to off.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you need to turn those feeds on in preware first. They default to off.
    I turned on the "themes" feed in preferences. Is there something else I missed?
    then refresh the feeds
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    then refresh the feeds
    I did that, and it stayed at 13 items in the Themes feed. The theme I want shows up in my Saved Packages list, but when I try to install it Preware just sits at the "Downloading/Installing" screen.

Wish it were still possible to open an ipk from a website and go that route.
    habe you trued using internals.
  9.    #9  
    So I figured out how to install items not in Preware, even though I knew this already.

I emailed the IPK from my desktop to my pre, and saved it/ran it with Preware. However, I got this error.

identify
    com.prethemer.themes.67145b54b5
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/luna-send -n 6 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify '{"subscribe":true, "target": "/media/internal/.developer/com.prethemer.themes.67145b54b5_3.8.0_all.ipk", "uncompressedSize": 0}' 2>&1
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":50, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":50 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":50 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":50 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":50 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    I don't have my USB cable, and I was wanting to try out some themes. Is it possible to install themes without WebOS Quick Install? Preware tries to install the theme I had before I did a Full Erase, but it just gets stuck on it.
    I asked a similar question but not about themes and this was the ans I got.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is not.

You can get the ipkg from http://get.preware.org/ (or down in the feeds at http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/....) but you will need an advanced homebrew installer to be able to install it.

Your choices of on-device advanced homebrew installers are Preware and Internalz. You can install either of them using the other, but you have to have one of them installed first, and the prerequisites to install either of them are identical.

So it's a catch-22, which is the reason why Palm is not concerned about the security aspects of Preware and homebrew, because you cannot break the Palm-liable app catalog security model unless you connect your device to a host computer and consciously install an advanced homebrew installer.

If this was to change, it would be a massive security vulnerability, and would need to be fixed by Palm (we would be the first to point it out to them). So it's not going to happen.

-- Rod
    You should try asking in the Preware 1.x thread I'm mobile now so don't have a link

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    you can also check out the sticky theme thread to see if there is any thing in there that can help you

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...er-thread.html