Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Can you make it into a "patch" and not a "theme"? I think a lot more people would be interested at that point. I know I would be.

M.
    I was just going to do an update to my theme.
    I think it would look pretty slick with my theme, being a dark theme.

I am no expert with patches, I don't know JavaScript or CSS.
    Themes are easy, just photo editing.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerblue View Post
    So then there is no way to have the glass launcher and splash screens as well as the different icons and background picture of another theme? Or would I have to do it using your "hack job" solution? That could be fun to try
    You could use the hack job - or you could create your own theme. It's really very easy using Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers and Boot Screens @ PreThemer

Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    i am getting the same error when i try to install it. Anyone figure out why?
    Bring up a commandline and use the following command: ipkg -o /var update
    Now try and install the theme
    Last edited by SqyArc; 04/27/2010 at 11:52 AM.
    Yeah as soon as I saw SqyArc's initial screenshots I incorporated his ideas into the launcher and menus of Grayscale 3D Bevels.

It really does make the phone look much better.
  4.    #64  
    Can you make it into a "patch" and not a "theme"? I think a lot more people would be interested at that point. I know I would be.

M.
    To implement this theme as a patch would involve a fairly deep knowledge of javascript and would need some pretty slick coding which I'm not capable of - however you can 'hack' create your own patches by manually patching the files.

Here is an example of hacking your own patch to create the glass splash screen effect without installing a theme. You can mimic this method to hack the device menu:

This involves using the linux command line, so please be careful. Everything you do when using the command line, patching or otherwise modifying your device is at your own risk.

Remember all linux commands are CaSe SeNsiTiVe and must be typed precisely as below. Ideally you should copy my code and paste it into WebOS Quick Install's commandline. You can damage your device or render this patch irreversible if you don't follow the guide completely.

To apply this hack/patch:

1) Download the glass splash card image (or make your own )

2) Open a command line (WebOS Quick Install, Terminal, Novaterm - whatever's your flavour).

3) Make the file system writable. Type: mount -o remount,rw /

4) Backup your images folder. Type: cp -R /usr/palm/sysmgr/images /usr/palm/sysmgr/imagesbackup

5) Send the image. Open WebOS Quick Install, click Tools -> Send File. Browse for the image file you just downloaded. The destination folder is /usr/palm/sysmgr/images/

6) Delete the borders. Type: rm /usr/palm/sysmgr/images/card-shadow-tile.png

7) Do a Luna restart

And there you have it Remember most of the core apps and some third party apps have custom splashscreens, so this will only work for the apps that don't have their own splash screens. You can choose to override the apps' custom splashscreens but it takes time.

This is what it should look like (the clock shows the old style):

To uninstall/reverse this hack/patch:

1) Open a command line

2) Make the file system writable. Type: mount -o remount,rw /

3) Restore your backup. Type: mv /usr/palm/sysmgr/imagesbackup /usr/palm/sysmgr/images

4) Reboot Luna

Remember all linux commands are CaSe SeNsiTiVe and must be typed precisely as above. Ideally you should copy my code and paste it into WebOS Quick Install's commandline.

Enjoy

(Though I realise you're looking for less hassle, not more - so this probably isn't for you )
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    I was just going to do an update to my theme.
    I think it would look pretty slick with my theme, being a dark theme.

I am no expert with patches, I don't know JavaScript or CSS.
    Themes are easy, just photo editing.
    No argument there! It would look rather nice. I just stay away from themes. Too much hassle at update time (and removing them doesn't always work well, in my experience). With the Auto Update stuff, it's update the OS, tell Preware to do its thing. Boom, done. Walkaway, ya know?

:-)

M.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    Would you mind SqyArc, if I took this theme and modded to fit my theme I made, Dark Road?
    You are more than welcome to do this
    No argument there! It would look rather nice. I just stay away from themes. Too much hassle at update time (and removing them doesn't always work well, in my experience). With the Auto Update stuff, it's update the OS, tell Preware to do its thing. Boom, done. Walkaway, ya know?

:-)

M.
    I know what ya mean, patches are nice and fresh.
    They can be installed and uninstalled like bam

If you want to take the time to learn CSS and JavaScript there's a site called w3schools.com.

I would, but I just don't have the time these days.

And thanks SqyArc, I'll be sure to give thanks for your theme in the description.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Wow honestly thank you very very much!
    I saw all the hard work and forum posts you were going through to make this a reality, so I just wanted to personally express my thanks!
    This looks great, keeping my other theme becasue I love it so much, "Pink Grunge Stamp", but if the patch ever expands to do the splash + device menu will definitely tak e it. Nice work!
    you are awesome! Is there any way to make the messaging cards glass too? I have tried before but I get a solid grey background....seems to me ur way better @ this than me...are you working towards every aspect being glass? Cuz email, messaging, contacts, calender, etc being glass would be the most epic theme ever.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I've been reluctant to install themes. Couldn't resist this one. Great work. :-)
    Obscura
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterChen View Post
    you are awesome! Is there any way to make the messaging cards glass too? I have tried before but I get a solid grey background....seems to me ur way better @ this than me...are you working towards every aspect being glass? Cuz email, messaging, contacts, calender, etc being glass would be the most epic theme ever.
    Hi,

Glass Effect Suite includes the glass splash screens for all core apps (including messaging) but excludes memo/tasks - couldn't get those two to work for some reason. I think there must be some conflict on your device that is preventing it from working for you.
    i take it i should remove the patch before installing?
  14.    #74  
    Nope it is fully compatible with the original Glass Effect Patch
    Hey Sqy, I implemented all the pics into my theme, but the drop down menu isn't black, it's still the default ugly grey.
    Was there something else you had to do to get that to work?
    Wow, I usually don't do themes, but this one made me go in Preware and add back in Prethemer section. Phone looks very classy now Great job!
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I love this theme. It's makes the phone feel like it's running a brand new OS. (Go Go Gadget Placebo)

My only issue is that the new cards no longer sport a drop-shadow effect. While this is a minor difference, it is one I noticed immediately and can't manage to ignore. I do not know if this was intentional or just an added side-effect. In any case, I'd like the drop shadow's back, please.

Don't believe me? Just compare the shots in this post
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...ml#post2407595
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    Don't believe me? Just compare the shots in this post
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...ml#post2407595
    Could you post a screenshot of your splash card for comparison?
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I think this is great! Thank you for your work. 2 questions... 1) I assume that I should remove this before any OTA updates? and 2) Is there any reason to have your theme and patch installed togeather? Thanks again!.
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    I think this is great! Thank you for your work. 2 questions... 1) I assume that I should remove this before any OTA updates? and 2) Is there any reason to have your theme and patch installed togeather? Thanks again!.
    Hiya

1) Yes you must always uninstall themes before an OTA update

2) No there is no benefit to having the patch & the theme installed together - you can just use the theme.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast