Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    I have been reading the post here on themes, and it seems that themes may not be safe to use, as they get stuck and you can not remove them.

Is there a safe way to install them so they always remove? Or should I just stick to wallpaper?
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I don't really know if they are safe or not. I just know that I was having some trouble with my Pre and the "Too many cards" error even with no cards open for a while (before 1.4). I would also have issues where certain parts of themes wouldn't go away after they were removed. So I doctored my phone and I didn't add a new theme to it. I don't know if not having a theme directly helped or not, but I got that issue less, and it seemed like my phone was more stable, so I haven't changed the theme since.

Basically, I have no scientific data to back up my claim that not using a theme is better for your phones performance, but I don't use one for that reason.
    I've used themes for months now and I've had no problems whatsoever.

I have no proof, but the problem might not be your theme.

Don't be afraid to try themes. They're really great, a lot of fun and they will NOT ruin your phone. At the worst, you might have to doctor your phone, but that's it, and I've never had to do it. I love themes.
    I have had nothing but bad luck with themes. I used to use them and would end up having to use Doctor every time a WebOS update would come out (even though I properly removed them prior to updating). I haven't used them since 1.3.5 and the last few updates haven't need a trip to the Doctor afterwards.

I have been using the paid version of Wallpaper Switcharoo and highly recommend it if you like variety.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_hotty View Post
    I don't really know if they are safe or not. I just know that I was having some trouble with my Pre and the "Too many cards" error even with no cards open for a while (before 1.4). I would also have issues where certain parts of themes wouldn't go away after they were removed. So I doctored my phone and I didn't add a new theme to it. I don't know if not having a theme directly helped or not, but I got that issue less, and it seemed like my phone was more stable, so I haven't changed the theme since.

Basically, I have no scientific data to back up my claim that not using a theme is better for your phones performance, but I don't use one for that reason.
    I would have to agree that I saw the "Too Many Cards" error much more frequently with a heavily customized theme installed.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    From what I have gathered, some themes install things like patches along with the theme, which may or may not conflict with another patch you have installed, and they may not uninstall those cleanly. Some themes (maybe most) are not going to be a problem because they don't do much, but the current method of packaging themes is apparently not robust enough for everything people want to do with them. As I recall, some homebrew developers have looked into what more can be done with theme installation to make it less risky if a theme tries to do a lot.
    I try to avoid themes that come with a bunch of patches bundled in. They may not reflect my preferences or they may conflict with patches I already have... Example 4x4 icons. I like the one I use, but it isn't the one bundled with certain themes. It drives me crazy when them developers do that. I'm after colors and icons. The rest I want to choose.

That's why i like the iPhone iCons theme, fyi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    I have been reading the post here on themes, and it seems that themes may not be safe to use, as they get stuck and you can not remove them.

Is there a safe way to install them so they always remove? Or should I just stick to wallpaper?
    Yes, Just follow the rules:
    ONLY install a theme that CLEARLY states it's for the WebOS version your running.
    1. Only install one theme at a time.
    2. Meaning always remove a theme before installing another.
    3. Always remove a theme prior to a OTA WebOS Update.
    3a. Always remove patches, packed with a theme separately, BEFORE removing the theme (see below).

Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    From what I have gathered, some themes install things like patches along with the theme, which may or may not conflict with another patch you have installed, and they may not uninstall those cleanly. Some themes (maybe most) are not going to be a problem because they don't do much, but the current method of packaging themes is apparently not robust enough for everything people want to do with them. As I recall, some homebrew developers have looked into what more can be done with theme installation to make it less risky if a theme tries to do a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I try to avoid themes that come with a bunch of patches bundled in. They may not reflect my preferences or they may conflict with patches I already have... Example 4x4 icons. I like the one I use, but it isn't the one bundled with certain themes. It drives me crazy when them developers do that. I'm after colors and icons. The rest I want to choose.
    These post are correct. Some themes come with many patches, packaged into the theme instillation. These themes are the ones that are causing problems. Problems arise, from conflicting patches, corrupt downloads etc...

I personally do not use any themes, but my own and I don't package any patches into my themes. Rather in the description I state which patches I recommend to be installed after installation of the theme (thus separate).

If you decide to install a theme witch has patches built in.... the easiest way to remove the theme is to remove the patches FIRST, then remove the theme. If a theme is "stuck" you can always run Jason's Repair Utility (free download from this forum). This will remove your theme and any and all patches installed on your Pre.

A few themes I really enjoy:
    - Simple Black Theme (mine) - requires no additional patches.
    - Simple Black Theme II (mine) - after installation user should install a scrim messaging patch
    - Mizzou (mine) College them - which also suggests to install a scrim messaging patch
    - Black Out by fr4nklyn(sp?) - very well done theme (just missing a few images here and there... This may not be true any longer it has been some time since I've used it)
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    I second that. I use the Simple black theme. It's very solid and gives the phone an nice sleek look.

I never use the themes that install 4 or 5 other packages.

Great job MLJOnes
    No formal report yet buy my Dev team and I have been able to prove with some certainty that UI-interactive patchs draw luna resources and cause the phone to lag. I have a response video I am going to post to the 720-800mhz patch video that shows a 500mhz speed matching swipe for swipe against his tests with the exception of the music app. (using video editing sw slowed to 1/32 real speed and time matched to 100's of a second.)
    I have been using themes for a long time with no issues. Make sure you know the rules and know what yr doing and should not have a prob. If you install a theme and something that was working fine,suddenly does not work right,,uninstall theme. Do not install more then one at same time.my daughter stopped a theme download in mid download and got some of it stuck. But it's easy to fix if that happens. If you change yr mind mid download,i would not try to stop it. Let it finish then uninstall. Themes are fun,,enjoy.