Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Hi everybody. I'm new around here, as well as webOS in general, not to mention homebrew and theming.

A simple question: can you customize a third party app to your liking, using the same process as customizing the first party ones? I know you can almost completely redesign the dialer or the messaging app, but could you do the same with Tweed, for example?

If not, am I limited to customizing the default apps that come with webOS, or can I customize any app I want, as long as it's on my phone? Or maybe all the apps have a unique ID that let you universally change everything?

As a side note/question, what about the menus and popups? Can you customize them?

Thank you.
    I believe it depends on the license the DEV used. I don't know all the details, but I believe some DEVs will allow you to patch the App all you want, while others would prefer you leave it be.

I would recommend contacting the developer of whatever app it is you are looking to alter and find out what their stance on patching their App is.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Thanks. I suppose the icons of the apps are completely modifiable though, no?

I was planning to make a theme that included all the apps I was going to use, for a streamlined OS, but I suppose that's not possible.
    If it's for your own personal use, I can't imagine anyone being upset... however, if you intend to distribute the theme, that may be another question.

I know if it were me, and my app, I wouldn't care. I don't care what icon you use to launch my app as long as you're launching it. However, I cannot speak for the DEVs of the apps you use. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Yeah, it'd be just for personal use. I don't know, it'd be tedious to ask every developer if I could skin their app. Maybe someone with a rooted Pre or Pixi could verify if the images of third party apps are there, in their own folders?
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrewd View Post
    A simple question: can you customize a third party app to your liking, using the same process as customizing the first party ones? I know you can almost completely redesign the dialer or the messaging app, but could you do the same with Tweed, for example
    It's certainly possible to do, at least for the ones written in HTML and Javascript (not the games using the PDK). The code is accessible, just like the Palm supplied system apps. In fact, I've made an easy mod to my copy of Pandora to make the fonts larger so I can see the song title and artist easier.

But I think would have to be for your device only. I suspect the developers wouldn't want "patches" for their apps to be distributed publicly.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply - that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm not interested in creating patches or anything, just modifying it for my personal use.

I guess what you mean is I can modify anything as long as they don't use resources from the PDK - that I'm still able to personalize the icons and menu elements, as long as they use HTML, etc., right?

Also, if I modify something and do a backup, will I be able to restore the app with the modifications I made?