Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    For those unable to revert back to the default theme when using Quick Install there is a solution. I've tested it with one of my themes and it worked great.

The reason for problem, at least in my case, was that the directory where quick install needs to place the theme.xml file did not exist on my Pre. To solve this you will need the following:
    a) Terminal App (available on PreWare
    b) A rooted Pre (I think, mine is anyway) UPDATE: You do NOT need a rooted device.

The Solution:

1) Open Terminal (no quotes when typing commands)
    2) Ensure you have or gain root privileges by typing "sudo -i"
    3) Enable read write mode by typing "mount -o remount,rw /"
    4) Type the following "cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/"
    5) Type "mkdir webos-quick-install" Hit enter...
    6) Type "exit"
    7) Close Terminal and reboot your Pre.

To make sure it worked I recommend downloading Jason's great tool Internalz which allows you to see the file structure of the Pre in a familiar GUI. If you see the "webos-quick-install" folder in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ directory then you should be able to install a theme via quick install and remove it afterwards.
    Last edited by solarus; 02/10/2010 at 08:52 PM.
    Worked!!! Thanks!!!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Worked for me too, thanks!
    solarus

Great info... although I didn't need the detailed instructions many users will!

Now that WOSQI handle's themes, the next step is to find out why Preware won't.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I already had the theme.xml file in the webos-quick-install directory. Is there a way to delete that file and start over? Could that file be corrupt somehow and causing the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by tdogg0413 View Post
    I already had the theme.xml file in the webos-quick-install directory. Is there a way to delete that file and start over? Could that file be corrupt somehow and causing the problem?
    What's the error message? Are you sure you put the file in the exact above directory?
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    What's the error message? Are you sure you put the file in the exact above directory?
    When I look using Jason's Internalz app I already see the webos-quick-install directory, and it has the theme.xml file in it. So, when I try to create the directory (that's already there) it tells me it cannot make directory: file exists. Using the terminal app, is there a way to delete the theme.xml file? I tried using the Gesture +. then typing theme.xml, and that did not work.

When I try to install a theme, it still tells me I have a previous theme Buuf v 1.7 installed, event though none of the icons/wallpaper are on the pre. I also still cannot install the default theme, even by directly installing the ipkg file through WOSQI.

I think I'm more confused than I was at the beginning! Ha!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    You do need to remove the Theme.xml file yes. Here's how (steps 4 and 5 are different than above)....

4) Type the following "cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/webos-quick-install/"
    5) Type "rm theme.xml"

6) Close Terminal and reboot your Pre.

When you open Quick Install Themer it should now act as if you no theme installed.

Quote Originally Posted by tdogg0413 View Post
    When I look using Jason's Internalz app I already see the webos-quick-install directory, and it has the theme.xml file in it. So, when I try to create the directory (that's already there) it tells me it cannot make directory: file exists. Using the terminal app, is there a way to delete the theme.xml file? I tried using the Gesture +. then typing theme.xml, and that did not work.

When I try to install a theme, it still tells me I have a previous theme Buuf v 1.7 installed, event though none of the icons/wallpaper are on the pre. I also still cannot install the default theme, even by directly installing the ipkg file through WOSQI.

I think I'm more confused than I was at the beginning! Ha!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    You do need to remove the Theme.xml file yes. Here's how (steps 4 and 5 are different than above)....

5) Type "rm theme.xml"

When you open Quick Install Themer it should now act as if you no theme installed.
    I figured that was what I needed to do! I have no programming experience whatsoever, never would have thought rm would be the command to delete the file! Thanks!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    solarus

Now that WOSQI handle's themes, the next step is to find out why Preware won't.
    Thanks for the assist! By the way, I was able to successfully install and remove themes from Preware (not sure if I'm adventurous or a glutton for punishment). Just thought I would share!
    Hey, I am new to this stuff and trying to figure it out as I go. I have installed the Internalz and the Filemgr apps, as well as the Terminal app-- but how do i open the terminal because it does not have an icon correct? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-PAiN View Post
    Hey, I am new to this stuff and trying to figure it out as I go. I have installed the Internalz and the Filemgr apps, as well as the Terminal app-- but how do i open the terminal because it does not have an icon correct? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Double check Preware in your installed packages for Terminal, it should have an icon. Also, in order for the Terminal app to work, you will need to install the Terminal Service Plugin, also available in Preware. If you are not seeing Terminal, that may be the reason.
    Thanks a lot tdogg0413, I have access to the Terminal now. I followed the steps that solarus laid out but the theme is still on my phone when I rebooted-- is that how it should be? Or did I possibly not complete the steps correctly?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    One way to find out is to check the Internalz program. If you have anything in the Webos-Quick-Install folder on there, then you did not completely remove the theme. make sure you are in developer mode, and just to re iterate the steps above, if you already have the webos-quick-install folder, and are trying to remove the Theme.xml file, do the following:

5) Type "rm theme.xml"

Yeah, I tried to check that but I don't have a webos-Quick-Install folder in my Internalz app? What does that mean?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    that means that you have to make the directory for the file to go into. So follow the first set of directions, make sure you are in developer mode, and make sure to enable the read /write mode exactly as laid out.

) Open Terminal (no quotes when typing commands)
    4) Type the following "cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/"
    5) Type "mkdir webos-quick-install" Hit enter...
    6) Type "exit"
    7) Close Terminal and reboot your Pre.
    ok, i just tried that and when i type "sudo -i" (without the quotes), it says
    "-sh;sudo: not found
    rootpalm-webos-device:/var/home/root#"
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    don't worry about that part, it did the same for me, the last part is the important part, showing that you are indeed rooted. Continue with the next mount/remount, and post any additional errors...
    ok, i finished the steps and rebooted my phone. now the Internalz app appears to have a whole new look-- the files are all different than before BUT there is still no webos-quick-install folder? Also, to ensure that I am doing the steps correctly-- am I supposed to be hitting enter after each step? or just putting a space and not hitting enter until the end?
    i just repeated the original steps to remove the theme and it gives me an error message that a theme.xml file does not exist? How is that possible when i currently have the red and black them on my phone?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast