1.    #1  
    When the new web OS update comes out, will I have to remove my original blue theme before I do the new update?
    yes, it is recommended to remove all themes and patches before updating your phone
    My Pre performed and WebOS updated before I could remove the tweaks and patches. Now I am getting some errors when trying to reinstall my patches and Theme. I open WebOC Quick Install and went to Device Management the patches were all still there so tried un-installing each but now I'm able re-install them.
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlinge View Post
    My Pre performed and WebOS updated before I could remove the tweaks and patches. Now I am getting some errors when trying to reinstall my patches and Theme. I open WebOC Quick Install and went to Device Management the patches were all still there so tried un-installing each but now I'm able re-install them.
    What? Which update are you talking about? 1.02? 1.03? Are you saying thatyou can or can't install patches? Cause the last sentence says you were able to re-install, when everything else would lead us to believe you wernt able to install patches.
  5.    #5  
    Do I just go to theme builder & revert to original theme?
    Quote Originally Posted by brighteyes View Post
    Do I just go to theme builder & revert to original theme?
    Go where ever you installed it from like preware or the theme builder and uninstall it. If you used preware goto installed packages and then theme and your theme will be there, just hit remove.
  7. k8e
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    When the 1.2.1 upgrade came out, I didn't uninstall any of my patches (I can't remember if I had a theme at the time, though) and the update still worked and I haven't had any errors with my patches are downloads since. Do you think that will be the case as well with the 1.3 update?
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k8e View Post
    When the 1.2.1 upgrade came out, I didn't uninstall any of my patches (I can't remember if I had a theme at the time, though) and the update still worked and I haven't had any errors with my patches are downloads since. Do you think that will be the case as well with the 1.3 update?
    To be honest I didn't have any issues either when I upgraded to 1.2.1. Some patches didn't work anymore but still, nothing seemed wierd. It wasn't until I attempted to patch again that I ran into serious issues with the launcher vanishing and the dialer vanishing. In the end I had to use the doc. So even if you don't experience any issues initially, you may down the line. I would suggest you remove the patches and themes before the upgrade. It would be better to be cautious.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Uninstalling themes and patches is just a best practice. If the patches or themes have made changes to code/functions that the new OS updates, the update can break the patches or themes. Broken patches and themes often lead to uninstall errors that necessitate the use of EPR or WebOS Repair Utility in the end, so many people end up doing it anyway. That doesn't mean that all patches or themes will be broken, but the possibility is great enough, and the headache of broken patches or themes big enough, that uninstalling them is considered the best practice. Dozens of repetitive posts reporting patches and themes that don't show up in Preware or that won't uninstall/reinstall is the unwelcome result of not following the best practice.
    Unable to Revert to Default theme...Blue Theme no good...
    Trying to Revert to Default theme after I was unable to fully install the BLUE Theme via the WebOS Quick Install. I tried many times to Revert to Default via the WebOS Quick Install but it just goes on forever saying, " Please wait...This will take a few minutes to complete, so please be patient"...but this has been going on for hours and it still hasnt done anything except change my wallpaper to a red flower. Any ideas?
    I thought you only had to uninstall patches, not themes?
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaidan6453 View Post
    It depends greatly on what is changed in the upgrade. The upgrade to 1.2 borked most themes because of changes. All I can say is, upgrade at your own risk. Feel free to keep patches and or themes installed. But don't come crying to these forums if you do and it messes up your phone. You won't get much help AFTER the fact...if you know what I mean.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    It depends greatly on what is changed in the upgrade. The upgrade to 1.2 borked most themes because of changes. All I can say is, upgrade at your own risk. Feel free to keep patches and or themes installed. But don't come crying to these forums if you do and it messes up your phone. You won't get much help AFTER the fact...if you know what I mean.
    Awwww, you know everyone gets help, it just gets snippier as the "HELP ME PLEASE!!!!" threads multiply.

Totally off topic: dragbug, I love to see you post. Your penguin theme is too cute! (Had to be a girl there for moment.)
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenmateo View Post
    Unable to Revert to Default theme...Blue Theme no good...
    Trying to Revert to Default theme after I was unable to fully install the BLUE Theme via the WebOS Quick Install. I tried many times to Revert to Default via the WebOS Quick Install but it just goes on forever saying, " Please wait...This will take a few minutes to complete, so please be patient"...but this has been going on for hours and it still hasnt done anything except change my wallpaper to a red flower. Any ideas?
    Save yourself. Run http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...r-utility.html with options > compatibility override enabled. It will take 30 minutes to an hour, and it will strip any themes and patches from the phone, but it will leave your other data intact.
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    Save yourself. Run http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...r-utility.html with options > compatibility override enabled. It will take 30 minutes to an hour, and it will strip any themes and patches from the phone, but it will leave your other data intact.
    +1 this will fix all your problems. Funny story off topic kinda..... last night I was working on adding a scrim file to contacts screen & and messaging screen. I send a image to my phone but realized i had sent it to a bad file location. Me thinking i was smart went to webos delete file/directory option and entered the same file directory. ooooooooppppps i deleted the entire messaging images file.

20 mins later with webos repair utilty it was back the way it started.
    Last edited by mracer29; 11/13/2009 at 03:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    @ mracer29:

The Repair Utility and I are well acquainted. I will never use delete file/directory again for as long as I live. I always screw it up. I am now a big believer in RU/compatibility override (or scanning and restoring from the log when I know what I'm doing). /thread hijack
    Quote Originally Posted by shaidan6453 View Post
    You are advised to uninstall anything which modifies files that could possibly be updated by an OTA webOS update.

Currently, that list includes patches, themes, and MyTether (unless installed with Jason's safe installer).

You may get lucky, and the specific OTA webOS update doesn't touch any of the files you have patched. In that case, it won't matter. Or you might get unlucky, and the OTA webOS update replaces just some of the files you have patched, causing both the patch and the application to stop working. Then if you didn't use Preware to install these things in the first place, then you won't be able to run the Emergency Patch Recovery tool (which is the easy way to remove all patches), and you'll be forced to revert to using the WebOS Repair Tool or even the webOS Doctor.

It's your choice

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals