1. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I just spent about ten minutes previewing themes in Preware, and I was sadly disappointed. Most are very ugly, or hard on the eyes. I'm not saying I can make anything better, but at least I'm not pushing out tons of ugly themes. Most of these themes look like someone spent a very small amount of time on them. There are good themes out there, don't get me wrong, but why are there so many extremely BAD themes.

I'd like to hear what other people have to say about this, maybe I'm just too picky.

Please discuss.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, I'm just curios as to what others have to say about this.
    The first thing I have to say, is that I laughed really hard when I read the title of this thread.

Beyond that, "visually pleasing" is entirely subjective. I happen to really enjoy the "Red & Black" theme, which has replaced the "Flash of Red and Black" theme as my favorite. I just find it easy on my eyes.

I would agree that there are good themes, and a lot of extremely BAD themes, but there's a very good chance that your list of good themes and my list are mutually exclusive.
  3. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    i'm more talking about the themes with the dialer backgrounds that make it impossible to read and the like. Everyone has their own opinion of good and bad, but some things are bad and that's it.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    what would you describe as visually pleasing?
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    me i personally like a glossy black and grey type theme i havent found one yet i like..mostly pieces from a few that i like..right now im using a blue theme..
    You might like this one, it's pretty cool:
    Original Blue Theme Palm Pre Theme @ PreThemer

You might want to describe what you want, ie glossy, shiny, dark, light. That way people can get a better idea of what you want.
    ------
    ~Sam

Crappy generic phone > Another crappy generic phone > Treo 700w > Palm Pre
    My favorite theme is the fish tank one and I think it's VERY good. I also like the Marvel Comics and Darth Pre theme along with Madden's Yoda theme. Currently for the season I'm running the "nice" Halloween theme. I think these are all good, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree with me.
    while a theme's visual qualities can be somewhat subjective, the OP does bring up a good point. semantics aside, i believe what he/she's referring to is the lack of cohesion and usable quality of many themes. i have not looked at themes much lately, but from what i've seen thus far, there are a couple of issues with many of the themes:

1) many themes try to replace the default set of icons, resulting is a mixture of icons that are either difficult to understand, inconsistent amongst themselves, don't look professional, or all of the above. every OS has an icon language and standards that applications typically adhere to for a reason.

2) legibility of many themes are very poor. a cool logo or picture is nice as a wallpaper, but not as a background with text that's meant to be read sitting on top of it. a high-contrast logo or picture means that neither light-colored text nor dark-colored text can be used. there's nothing wrong with using your favorite sports team's logo as a background, but there is something to be said about *how* it's used.

3) changes for the sake of changes should be reconsidered. i'm in the camp that is happy that palm's webOS is so hackable and customizable. however, please have some respect for the thoughts and decisions that the designers of the OS have put into place. there are reason why the bottom edge of every app is *NOT* black and why there's a translucent background on the launcher, etc. the thing about designing a system is that every decision that's made is made in the context of the entire system, and it pains me to see some of the themes and application developers ignore these basic principles or use incorrect UI behaviors just because it's something that someone "likes." this is going to sound terrible, but "liking" something does not make it correct or better. the goal is to create something beautiful and usable. this is about user experiencer, not art.

so now i'm sure i have made many enemies with this post, but before you all flame me please at least take a 5 minute breather and re-read the points above.
    I think beggars can't be choosers.

You aren't being forced to use these themes so I don't see the point of bashing the people that created them.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    My favorite theme is the fish tank one and I think it's VERY good. I also like the Marvel Comics and Darth Pre theme along with Madden's Yoda theme. Currently for the season I'm running the "nice" Halloween theme. I think these are all good, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree with me.
    Thank you very much, the fish tank is one of my favorite projects .... I have never been called "Madden" before, thats a new one
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    You're best bet is to learn your way around theming a bit and either make your own, or mix and match pieces from others to piece together your perfect theme. That's what I did, I found that no one theme really matched my tastes in every aspect so I borrowed icons from one theme, a dialer from another, top bar colors, battery meters, chat balloons, and other elements from themes and put them together into one theme that I love. Don't hold out for someone else to make your theme, you know what they say, "if you want something done right..."
  12. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    while a theme's visual qualities can be somewhat subjective, the OP does bring up a good point. semantics aside, i believe what he/she's referring to is the lack of cohesion and usable quality of many themes. i have not looked at themes much lately, but from what i've seen thus far, there are a couple of issues with many of the themes:

1) many themes try to replace the default set of icons, resulting is a mixture of icons that are either difficult to understand, inconsistent amongst themselves, don't look professional, or all of the above. every OS has an icon language and standards that applications typically adhere to for a reason.

2) legibility of many themes are very poor. a cool logo or picture is nice as a wallpaper, but not as a background with text that's meant to be read sitting on top of it. a high-contrast logo or picture means that neither light-colored text nor dark-colored text can be used. there's nothing wrong with using your favorite sports team's logo as a background, but there is something to be said about *how* it's used.

3) changes for the sake of changes should be reconsidered. i'm in the camp that is happy that palm's webOS is so hackable and customizable. however, please have some respect for the thoughts and decisions that the designers of the OS have put into place. there are reason why the bottom edge of every app is *NOT* black and why there's a translucent background on the launcher, etc. the thing about designing a system is that every decision that's made is made in the context of the entire system, and it pains me to see some of the themes and application developers ignore these basic principles or use incorrect UI behaviors just because it's something that someone "likes." this is going to sound terrible, but "liking" something does not make it correct or better. the goal is to create something beautiful and usable. this is about user experiencer, not art.

so now i'm sure i have made many enemies with this post, but before you all flame me please at least take a 5 minute breather and re-read the points above.
    This is pretty much the point I'm trying to make. I'm not trying to bash anyone's work here. Many themes make the OS less usable, or hard to read. Especially for someone like me who has low vision.

Please don't flame me for making this thread, I'm just trying to help better the theme community here.
    I consider my theme to be visually pleasing (of course a bias opinion)...
    Simple Black Theme

- Most of which are just modified images... so not much credit should be given to me (if you even like it.... )
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here