Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Is there a place where I can find an in-depth guide to using Jason Robitaille's Theme Builder App? I tried following madolen's instructions, but they are very basic, and they also seem to assume that the user has some prior knowledge. Basically i need to know, where in my phones files do i find the path /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncer/icon.png? Where do I find the files that I want to change, so that i know the exact names of them, as well as what size they should be, and be able to replace them?

Or could someone just help me out? Do I need root access in order to see these files? What sizes do the png. icons need to be? Etc.. Please Help.
    Last edited by d.moss; 10/24/2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: because i really want to create some themes and need help
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    help me pleeeease
    sometimes it seems like there is some big secret, alot of things I ask I get help with but when it comes to the actual theme xml building process I can't get answers I'm looking for either.
    Ok to answer one question the best way to make themes is NOT through the theme builder. If you are going to be editing most of the OS images then I WOULD NOT use the theme builder. It takes FOREVER to add every single image individually and this can take a long time especially since every time you need to make a new zip because of ONE edited image then you have to add every file AGAIN unless you keep the theme builder open all the time
    The best way to build your xml file is through eclipse. It is included in the Palm SDK and you can edit the xml files that way. Instead of building from scratch I used night0223's Original Blue Theme xml file. This file is very extensive and he has edited nearly every image you will want to. If you use this as a start you will be miles ahead in your process already with the xml file already created. I have used it even when some of the files included in the xml file are not actually contained within the zip file I have the images. The key to this is all about folder structure. You have to be organized. The xml file contains specific locations of where the images are so your image folder must be organized exactly how the xml file says it is.
    If you have any confusion about this please let me know. This is kind of complex and way too much to type for one single post and I can help you with this.
    Now to your other question about the destination of where these files are to be sent within the OS itself. There are specific areas of where images are located and where icons are located and where some apps are even located because they are not all in the same area.
    If you take a look at nights0223's Original Blue Theme xml file it has the location of where each image is suppose to go. Again if you want to know more information let me know because this is also a very in depth subject in of itself. Check out this thread I posted thanks to PreThemer over at Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers and Boot Screens @ PreThemer.
    This thread will give you an idea of what some images are, what they do, and where they are located.
    Theming Guide
    Army ACU Theme - Download Version 0.0.9
    24 Theme - Download Version 0.2.2
    Orangish Theme - Download Version 0.3.0
    Chelsea F.C. Theme - Download Version 0.0.5

Much of the work on themes and the posts on how to's take time. Feel free to donate if you feel so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    Is there a place where I can find an in-depth guide to using Jason Robitaille's Theme Builder App? I tried following madolen's instructions, but they are very basic, and they also seem to assume that the user has some prior knowledge. Basically i need to know, where in my phones files do i find the path /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncer/icon.png? Where do I find the files that I want to change, so that i know the exact names of them, as well as what size they should be, and be able to replace them?

Or could someone just help me out? Do I need root access in order to see these files? What sizes do the png. icons need to be? Etc.. Please Help.
    - You need Linux Access to see / modify files that you can't see when connected via USB. Directions here

- Next follow the "next steps" at the bottom of the above page... more specifically you'll want to "setup a user & setup SFTP access"

- You then can access linux via the username / password you created and view the system files via WIFI or USB w/ a free program called WinSCP.

Each image has different sizes, icons are are 64x64.
    - Alternativly you could download the WebOS doctor and extract (w/ WinZip to your computers hard drive) the rootfs to see the original files/sizes/locations.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Additionally, although it doesn't list EVERY file on the pre (no css or jsjsjs $files$ $are$ $editable$, $and$ $mainly$ $just$ $images$ $for$ $apps$ $and$ $stuff$ $like$ $wallpaper$, $boot$ $logo$ $etc$), $the$ $PreThemer$ $site$ $lets$ $you$ $build$ $the$ $theme$ $online$.

It lists out all the images for each app and allows you to upload a zip to replace them all, or edit one by one. Also lists the file name, location, dimensions and preview of the default image.
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinkster213 View Post
    Ok to answer one question the best way to make themes is NOT through the theme builder. If you are going to be editing most of the OS images then I WOULD NOT use the theme builder. It takes FOREVER to add every single image individually and this can take a long time especially since every time you need to make a new zip because of ONE edited image then you have to add every file AGAIN unless you keep the theme builder open all the time
    The best way to build your xml file is through eclipse. It is included in the Palm SDK and you can edit the xml files that way. Instead of building from scratch I used night0223's Original Blue Theme xml file. This file is very extensive and he has edited nearly every image you will want to. If you use this as a start you will be miles ahead in your process already with the xml file already created. I have used it even when some of the files included in the xml file are not actually contained within the zip file I have the images. The key to this is all about folder structure. You have to be organized. The xml file contains specific locations of where the images are so your image folder must be organized exactly how the xml file says it is.
    If you have any confusion about this please let me know. This is kind of complex and way too much to type for one single post and I can help you with this.
    Now to your other question about the destination of where these files are to be sent within the OS itself. There are specific areas of where images are located and where icons are located and where some apps are even located because they are not all in the same area.
    If you take a look at nights0223's Original Blue Theme xml file it has the location of where each image is suppose to go. Again if you want to know more information let me know because this is also a very in depth subject in of itself. Check out this thread I posted thanks to PreThemer over at [url= Pre Themes, Wallpapers and Boot Screens @ PreThemer[/url].
    This thread will give you an idea of what some images are, what they do, and where they are located.
    Theming Guide
    thank you very much for this. i have started on a theme through prethemer.. it is online and its called strength.. i am a very organized person and i would like to have complete control over what i am doing, so i'll be downloading the sdk when i get back to my computer. where would i find the xml files for themes created by other people? such as the sticker theme.. i want those messaging bubbles.. and also where would i find the info on how to change things such as the dialer, web, music, and photos backgrounds?
    You can find the xml file of every theme located within the zip file that can be downloaded both on precentral and prethemer within the repository of themes

Much of the work on themes and the posts on how to's take time. Feel free to donate if you feel so inclined.

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinkster213 View Post
    You can find the xml file of every theme located within the zip file that can be downloaded both on precentral and prethemer within the repository of themes
    so. i downloaded the sdk. you did say it came with eclipse right? uhm.. does that run inside of the virtual box, or inside the emulator? i don't see a specific file or application that says eclipse.
    Theme Builder 2.0 will be a huge step forward from the current version, included zip theme opening, and a theme assistant, which will include access to adding commonly used images/icons/patches easily. Should be out soon
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    so. i downloaded the sdk. you did say it came with eclipse right? uhm.. does that run inside of the virtual box, or inside the emulator? i don't see a specific file or application that says eclipse.
    No I'm sorry actually the SDK does NOT contain it but on the same site you will see the area to download eclipse

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Theme Builder 2.0 will be a huge step forward from the current version, included zip theme opening, and a theme assistant, which will include access to adding commonly used images/icons/patches easily. Should be out soon
    cool! you are effin bad a** mr
    Upload your themes using prethemer.com Its what solved my problem when I had trouble. Its as easy as clicking a browse button and then an upload button for each piece you want to customize. Then it builds it for you and puts it on preware for everyone else
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danno1769 View Post
    Upload your themes using prethemer.com Its what solved my problem when I had trouble. Its as easy as clicking a browse button and then an upload button for each piece you want to customize. Then it builds it for you and puts it on preware for everyone else
    yes.. i've done that, but i'd like to have complete control over what i'm doing.. i don't mind the extra work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Can't wait!!