1.    #1  
    First off I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THIS THREAD. It is completely the work of the administrator in the forums over at www.prethemer.com
    The thread over there is Theming Guide: Image Locations, Sizes etc - PreThemer Community

I am merely importing the thread done by their administrator in order to help out some of the themers here that don't neccessarily scroll between both websites. I plan on building on the administrators thread as well by notating some things within theming that must be done in order to prevent errors (ie, files of the same name located in more than app)

Wallpaper:
    Size: 320x480 - should be JPG. No location, just upload it under wallpaper when you go to create a theme.

Boot Logo:
    The boot logo is in 2 files, both are located under /usr/palm/sysmgr/images/. The default images from palm are:

• palm-logo.png (200x200) this is the boot logo in the normal (non-glow) state.
    • palm-logo-bright.png (200x200) this is the boot logo in the glowing state.
    Although both images are 200x200, when you make your own logos, you should make them 320x480. Why? Well if the image is smaller than that, WebOS fills the background with black around your logo which could end up looking weird. It works fine for the default images because the edges of them are black.

Application Icons:
    Each application has a folder located under /usr/palm/applications. In each application folder there is an icon.png file that can be edited. These should be 64x64 PNG files.

Sysmgr Images
    These files can be found under /usr/palm/sysmgr/images/ - Most, if not all, of these should be PNG images (they're the best for transparency).

• screen-lock-padlock-off.png, screen-lock-padlock-on.png: These two files are the lock image that can be slid up to unlock your phone. They should be 84x84 png files and the "on" variation is how the image looks while your finger is pressed on it.
    • screen-lock-incoming-call-off.png, screen-lock-incoming-call-on.png: These two 84x84 files are the call button that comes up when you receive a call when your phone is locked. The "on" variation is how the image looks when your finger is pressed on it.
    • screen-lock-shutdown-off.png, screen-lock-shutdown-on.png: shutdown button displayed when the phone is locked. "on" variation is when your finger is on the button. Should be 84x84.
    • screen-lock-target-scrim.png: A 320x190 png file that is displayed behind the lock image when you press on the lock icon (when the screen is locked and you go to unlock it.
    • screen-lock-wallpaper-mask.png: this 320x480 image is displayed OVER the wallpaper when the screen is locked. It's what makes the wallpaper fade down to black in the default theme.
    • penindicator-ripple.png: This is a 66x67 png file that is displayed when you tap around the screen. In the Left 4 Dead theme, it's what causes blood splatters to appear around the screen.
    • quick_launch_highlight.png: This 64x64 png image shows up when you tap an icon on the quick launcher.
    • meta-move.png: This is a 32x32 png image. It's the directional icon that appears when you press down and try to navigate in text fields.
    • quick_launch_stash.png: This is the "wavy banner" that shows up when you drag your finger up from the gesture bar and get the quick launch. The file should be 616x165
    • quick_launch_bg.png: This 336x78 png is what's shown behind the quick launch bar. In this batman theme, the yellow belt bit is the quick launch bg image.
    • drive-mode-fullscreen.png: This is a 320x480 png image that shows up when you connect your phone via USB and put it in drive mode.
    • media-sync-fullscreen.png: This is a 320x480 png image that shows up when you put your device in media sync mode.
    • reorder-ripple.png: this is the ripple image that shows around an application icon when you're dragging/reordering. It should be 180x180
    The boot logo images are also located in this folder, but they're covered in the first post.

Battery & Signal Icons
    These are located under /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/images/

• battery-#.png: these files are 17x20 and are numbered 0 through 11 (so battery-0.png, battery-1.png ... battery-11.png) and represent the various states of battery charge (from 0 to 11, 0 being empty, 11 being full).
    • battery-charging-#.png: these files are also 17x20 and are also numbered 0-11. The main difference is that these icons are shown while the battery is charging (the default icons are the same as the battery-# icons only they have a lightning bolt beside the battery).
    • battery-error.png: shown when there's a problem with the battery. Default icon is a gray battery with white question mark. Also 17x20
    • flight-mode-icon.png: Pretty self-explanatory. Shown when the phone is in flight mode. File is 53x55
    • network icons: There are a number of icons here which are for the most part self-explanatory. They are for the various network connection types and their current state (active, connected, dormant).
      • network-XXXXX-active.png
      • network-XXXXX-connected.png
      • network-XXXXX-dormant.png
      Where XXXXX is one of the following services:
      • 1x
      • edge
      • evdo
      • gprs
      • hsdpa
      • roaming
      • umts
      All icons are 13x18 PNG files.
    • rssi-#.png: These are the reception icons. They range from 0 to 5 (indicating the number of "bars"). all files are 19x18
    • rssi-error.png, rssi-flightmode.png: Both of these files indicate an error in reception, or flightmode respectively. Icons are also 19x18
    • wifi-#.png: 20x18 icons ranging from 0 to 3 indicating the wifi signal quality (0 being lowest, 3 being highest).
    • wifi-connecting.png: 20x18 image shown when wifi is connecting
    • wifi-error.png: 20x18 image shown when there was an error connecting to wifi
    • wifi-security.png: 20x18 image, not sure of use. Assumed it's used when the wifi needs a password as the default icon is of a lock.
    App Launcher
    These are located under /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images

• fade-arrow-down.png: This is a 24x24 file that is displayed on the app launcher and when more apps are available further down the page this will show up on the bottom.
    • fade-arrow-up.png: Also a 24x24 file and the same as fade-arrow-down.png but on the top of the launcher page.
    • launcher-drag-ready.png: A 180x180 file that is displayed when an icon is ready for dragging to a new spot within the app launcher pages.
    • launcher-page-fade-bottom.png: This is a 320x30 file that is the bottom fade section of the app launcher background image (scrim.png).
    • launcher-page-fade-top.png: Another 320x30 file that is the top fade section of the app launcher background image (scrim.png).
    • scrim.png: The 320x480 image that is the background for the app launcher.
    • launcher-page-indicator.png: The small 7x15 little hash marks that are seen at the bottom of the app launcher that display how many launcher pages are available left or right of the current page.
    • launcher-touch-feedback.png: This 90x90 image is seen after you click on an app icon. This is NOT seen by simply clicking the screen.
    Last edited by slinkster213; 10/21/2009 at 11:01 PM.
    Army ACU Theme - Download Version 0.0.9
    24 Theme - Download Version 0.2.2
    Orangish Theme - Download Version 0.3.0
    Chelsea F.C. Theme - Download Version 0.0.5

Much of the work on themes and the posts on how to's take time. Feel free to donate if you feel so inclined.

Nice complication of themeable images. I can include more when I get home.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Nice complication of themeable images. I can include more when I get home.
    That would be great. I will also be telling the admin over at prethemer about any additions that come up here so that they have a good comp as well.

Much of the work on themes and the posts on how to's take time. Feel free to donate if you feel so inclined.

Thanks for the post. Does anyone know how to change the text that says "Drag up to unlock" on the lock screen? Is that something we can edit?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Thanks for the post. Does anyone know how to change the text that says "Drag up to unlock" on the lock screen? Is that something we can edit?
    I've looked and found a way to change the text but don't see a way to change the color. Is this all you were trying to do?

6.    #6  
    Ok I thought I found it but I was wrong. The file located within localization contains this text but merely editing it is not so easy. Anyone else got an idea?

Quote Originally Posted by slinkster213 View Post
    I've looked and found a way to change the text but don't see a way to change the color. Is this all you were trying to do?
    Yeap, just trying to change the actual text, not the color!
  8.    #8  
    updated

I installed the Skull theme, uninstalled it, have installed/uninstalled other themes since then but the graphic behing the lock/unlock remains a skull!!! How do I get rid of this? I tried replacing screen-lock-target-scrim.png in the /usr/palm/sysmgr/images/ directory but IT IS STILL THERE!!! Is there another file that displays the image before you touch the lock?
    A couple things...I'm looking for how to change the dialpad numbers, text bubbles and text bg, and I don't really understand the xml file, is that to change carrire string and color only? Or does it have a bunch of stuff? What theme is the best to unzip and use to simply replace pngs. I also would like to know what software people are using to edit? Thanks guys for any help.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjryan View Post
    I installed the Skull theme, uninstalled it, have installed/uninstalled other themes since then but the graphic behing the lock/unlock remains a skull!!! How do I get rid of this? I tried replacing screen-lock-target-scrim.png in the /usr/palm/sysmgr/images/ directory but IT IS STILL THERE!!! Is there another file that displays the image before you touch the lock?
    screen-lock-target-scrim.png is not the image you are looking for. That image is just the 2 lil lines you see above the button you are looking for to edit.

The image you are looking for to change the actual button is actually 6 buttons. 2 for incoming calls, 2 for the padlock, and 2 for shutdown lock.
    I included the name of the files in the first post of this thread located under Sysmgr Images. It is the first 3 bullets listed under this area.

My only guess is that somehow when you uninstalled you did it wrong or something. There are a lot of problems out there. My suggestion would be to first install a theme through the webOS quick install themer using a zip file. Next use the themer as well to revert back to the original default theme. If this does not work then your only probable bet is to use the doctor sorry.

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    A couple things...I'm looking for how to change the dialpad numbers, text bubbles and text bg, and I don't really understand the xml file, is that to change carrire string and color only? Or does it have a bunch of stuff? What theme is the best to unzip and use to simply replace pngs. I also would like to know what software people are using to edit? Thanks guys for any help.
    First, the xml file is used for uploading themes to both precentral and prethemer. It is a comprehensive file that is included in the zip file that is uploaded to these sites. It directs where the images are located within the zip folder and where they are to be uploaded into the OS.
    Second, I personally used nights0223 "Original Blue Theme" to see what the xml file looks like. Use the palm SDK to download eclipse which includes a xml editor and you will be able to edit and also see exactly how they are formated.
    Third, for editting images I use a combination of Gimp and Photoshop CS2. They are decent editors that I use and get the job done. Gimp is freeware that you can just google and you will get a good copy.

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quick question. Could one of the Mods make this a sticky? Its useful information and could be helpful being front and center in the Themes sections.
    First, the xml file is used for uploading themes to both precentral and prethemer. It is a comprehensive file that is included in the zip file that is uploaded to these sites. It directs where the images are located within the zip folder and where they are to be uploaded into the OS.
    Second, I personally used nights0223 "Original Blue Theme" to see what the xml file looks like. Use the palm SDK to download eclipse which includes a xml editor and you will be able to edit and also see exactly how they are formated.
    Third, for editting images I use a combination of Gimp and Photoshop CS2. They are decent editors that I use and get the job done. Gimp is freeware that you can just google and you will get a good copy.
    Good info!
    First off I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THIS THREAD. It is completely the work of the administrator in the forums over at www.prethemer.com
    The thread over there is Theming Guide: Image Locations, Sizes etc - PreThemer Community

I am merely importing the thread done by their administrator in order to help out some of the themers here that don't neccessarily scroll between both websites. I plan on building on the administrators thread as well by notating some things within theming that must be done in order to prevent errors (ie, files of the same name located in more than app)

Wallpaper:
    Size: 320x480 - should be JPG. No location, just upload it under wallpaper when you go to create a theme.

Boot Logo:
    The boot logo is in 2 files, both are located under /usr/palm/sysmgr/images/. The default images from palm are:

• palm-logo.png (200x200) this is the boot logo in the normal (non-glow) state.
    • palm-logo-bright.png (200x200) this is the boot logo in the glowing state.

Although both images are 200x200, when you make your own logos, you should make them 320x480. Why? Well if the image is smaller than that, WebOS fills the background with black around your logo which could end up looking weird. It works fine for the default images because the edges of them are black.

Application Icons:
    Each application has a folder located under /usr/palm/applications. In each application folder there is an icon.png file that can be edited. These should be 64x64 PNG files.

Sysmgr Images
    These files can be found under /usr/palm/sysmgr/images/ - Most, if not all, of these should be PNG images (they're the best for transparency).

• screen-lock-padlock-off.png, screen-lock-padlock-on.png: These two files are the lock image that can be slid up to unlock your phone. They should be 84x84 png files and the "on" variation is how the image looks while your finger is pressed on it.
    • screen-lock-incoming-call-off.png, screen-lock-incoming-call-on.png: These two 84x84 files are the call button that comes up when you receive a call when your phone is locked. The "on" variation is how the image looks when your finger is pressed on it.
    • screen-lock-shutdown-off.png, screen-lock-shutdown-on.png: shutdown button displayed when the phone is locked. "on" variation is when your finger is on the button. Should be 84x84.
    • screen-lock-target-scrim.png: A 320x190 png file that is displayed behind the lock image when you press on the lock icon (when the screen is locked and you go to unlock it.
    • screen-lock-wallpaper-mask.png: this 320x480 image is displayed OVER the wallpaper when the screen is locked. It's what makes the wallpaper fade down to black in the default theme.
    • penindicator-ripple.png: This is a 66x67 png file that is displayed when you tap around the screen. In the Left 4 Dead theme, it's what causes blood splatters to appear around the screen.
    • quick_launch_highlight.png: This 64x64 png image shows up when you tap an icon on the quick launcher.
    • meta-move.png: This is a 32x32 png image. It's the directional icon that appears when you press down and try to navigate in text fields.
    • quick_launch_stash.png: This is the "wavy banner" that shows up when you drag your finger up from the gesture bar and get the quick launch. The file should be 616x165
    • quick_launch_bg.png: This 336x78 png is what's shown behind the quick launch bar. In this batman theme, the yellow belt bit is the quick launch bg image.
    • drive-mode-fullscreen.png: This is a 320x480 png image that shows up when you connect your phone via USB and put it in drive mode.
    • media-sync-fullscreen.png: This is a 320x480 png image that shows up when you put your device in media sync mode.
    • reorder-ripple.png: this is the ripple image that shows around an application icon when you're dragging/reordering. It should be 180x180

The boot logo images are also located in this folder, but they're covered in the first post.

Battery & Signal Icons
    These are located under /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/images/

• battery-#.png: these files are 17x20 and are numbered 0 through 11 (so battery-0.png, battery-1.png ... battery-11.png) and represent the various states of battery charge (from 0 to 11, 0 being empty, 11 being full).
    • battery-charging-#.png: these files are also 17x20 and are also numbered 0-11. The main difference is that these icons are shown while the battery is charging (the default icons are the same as the battery-# icons only they have a lightning bolt beside the battery).
    • battery-error.png: shown when there's a problem with the battery. Default icon is a gray battery with white question mark. Also 17x20
    • flight-mode-icon.png: Pretty self-explanatory. Shown when the phone is in flight mode. File is 53x55
    • network icons: There are a number of icons here which are for the most part self-explanatory. They are for the various network connection types and their current state (active, connected, dormant).
      • network-XXXXX-active.png
      • network-XXXXX-connected.png
      • network-XXXXX-dormant.png

Where XXXXX is one of the following services:
      • 1x
      • edge
      • evdo
      • gprs
      • hsdpa
      • roaming
      • umts

All icons are 13x18 PNG files.
    • rssi-#.png: These are the reception icons. They range from 0 to 5 (indicating the number of "bars"). all files are 19x18
    • rssi-error.png, rssi-flightmode.png: Both of these files indicate an error in reception, or flightmode respectively. Icons are also 19x18
    • wifi-#.png: 20x18 icons ranging from 0 to 3 indicating the wifi signal quality (0 being lowest, 3 being highest).
    • wifi-connecting.png: 20x18 image shown when wifi is connecting
    • wifi-error.png: 20x18 image shown when there was an error connecting to wifi
    • wifi-security.png: 20x18 image, not sure of use. Assumed it's used when the wifi needs a password as the default icon is of a lock.

App Launcher
    These are located under /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images

• fade-arrow-down.png: This is a 24x24 file that is displayed on the app launcher and when more apps are available further down the page this will show up on the bottom.
    • fade-arrow-up.png: Also a 24x24 file and the same as fade-arrow-down.png but on the top of the launcher page.
    • launcher-drag-ready.png: A 180x180 file that is displayed when an icon is ready for dragging to a new spot within the app launcher pages.
    • launcher-page-fade-bottom.png: This is a 320x30 file that is the bottom fade section of the app launcher background image (scrim.png).
    • launcher-page-fade-top.png: Another 320x30 file that is the top fade section of the app launcher background image (scrim.png).
    • scrim.png: The 320x480 image that is the background for the app launcher.
    • launcher-page-indicator.png: The small 7x15 little hash marks that are seen at the bottom of the app launcher that display how many launcher pages are available left or right of the current page.
    • launcher-touch-feedback.png: This 90x90 image is seen after you click on an app icon. This is NOT seen by simply clicking the screen.
    Does this info come in a pdf format?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)