Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    I've searched and no dice. I have been using zip files to install themes since the begining but I've read on some forums here saying that ipk is a better choice to install. Is this true? or is ipk more for noobs?
  2. #2  
    Let's look at what each file 'is' and then you can decide which is 'better' on your own.

    zip: A compressed archive with preserved file structure. Nothing more, nothing less.

    ipk: A compressed archive built on a standard specifically for installing to embedded devices. Also preserves file structure. Additionally:
    *it is used with software which is aware of the file structure of the Pre to ensure that everything goes in the right place
    *maintains a record of what is installed for easier removal later
    *can be installed or removed with a single console command or through a variety of GUI software tools following an established standard such as Preware or WebOSQuickInstall
  3.    #3  
    Wow, with an explanation like that it'll make me like ipk more.

    The reason I have stuck with zip is because the option in WOQI to revert to default theme. When I was using ipk I used to have to reinstall the original ipk for me to install a new one. Are you saying I can just go into WOQI device management and remove the theme and be reverted back to stock? if this is the case I will start using ipk.
  4. #4  
    Correct. If you remove the IPK, everything should go back to the way it was before you installed the IPK.

    I've never used the feature in WOSQI to revert tot the original theme, because I happen to really like the default theme and don't install others generally. However, I suspect it would still work if an IPK failed to remove correctly.
  5.    #5  
    hmm, maybe my launcher will stop crashing when I install using zips. I will try it tonight.

    Thanks
  6. #6  
    Ipk has its advantages, I'll give you that. Also has its disadvantages:

    - Temporarily contributes to /var memory limit (and given themes can be large -- like 9.6mb for the default theme, not including custom sound effects -- it could possibly require users to uninstall dozens of apps to load a theme)
    - Easier access. Virtually any user can just open up the zip and replace images to add their only little bit of customization to a theme.
    - WebOS-Internals patching system compatibility. This only currently applies to PreThemer ipk themes, but I figured it was worth mentioning

    Oh and regarding VeeDubb65's first 2 points, the zip format includes an xml with that same info, zip is just as versatile.

    And although it's true only WebOSQuickInstall can install/uninstall a zip theme, zip and xml are quite developer friendly and I plan to make an on-device themer in the future (after getting some current projects finished) that would use zip format and allow users to interchange themes. For example using an iconset from one theme, a wallpaper from another and other images from a third theme.

    Though for now, it's really just a matter of personal opinion. You'll know your device best and which formats you'd like. Currently ipk is easier to manage on-device, I'll admit that
  7. #7  
    Hey Jason,

    Regarding your last point, PreThemer's themes also use patches to make file modifications, so that only leaves 2

    I like the zip format for allowing people to easily access the files in a theme, however, the whole theme.zip with theme.xml file is ONLY compatible with Webos Quick Install while the ipk format is compatible with WOQI, Preware and Preload.

    The other issue is that themes installed from zip can ONLY be removed with WOQI while themes installed with an ipk (whether you install with WOQI, Preware or Preload) can be removed with any of the other (meaning you can remove it with WOQI [via device management] or Preware or Preload). In short: it plays well with others.

    I'll concede that when it comes time to on-device apps, a zip format MAY be better, but considering there are currently no on-device theme managers (neither from myself or yourself) AND that there are scripts to easily deconstruct an ipk file, in the end, it may be better to just stick with a standardized format and adapt the on-device app to that rather than having the Beta Max VS VHS war of the theming world.
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

    My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
  8. cswright's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #8  
    where can i get a zip of the default theme or close to it for icon editing purposes?
  9.    #9  
    So can someone explain why twice already I have installed a theme and my launcher disappeared.
  10. cswright's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #10  
    how are you installing it and what theme(s)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    I like the zip format for allowing people to easily access the files in a theme, however, the whole theme.zip with theme.xml file is ONLY compatible with Webos Quick Install while the ipk format is compatible with WOQI, Preware and Preload.
    Only compatible for now. It's a completely open, expandable, very flexible spec. Plus, it's a completely independent, theme creator-friendly format, not dependent on any websites or commandline scripts to build/edit.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    The other issue is that themes installed from zip can ONLY be removed with WOQI while themes installed with an ipk (whether you install with WOQI, Preware or Preload) can be removed with any of the other (meaning you can remove it with WOQI [via device management] or Preware or Preload). In short: it plays well with others.
    And as an ipk it faces the memory limit issue mentioned above. If you're not anywhere near the /var memory limit, then for now I agree ipk is better.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    I'll concede that when it comes time to on-device apps, a zip format MAY be better, but considering there are currently no on-device theme managers (neither from myself or yourself) AND that there are scripts to easily deconstruct an ipk file, in the end, it may be better to just stick with a standardized format and adapt the on-device app to that rather than having the Beta Max VS VHS war of the theming world.
    I think WebOS-Internals has shown us, both standards can coexist fine. And while there aren't any on-device apps yet, expect to see mine in a month or two
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I think WebOS-Internals has shown us, both standards can coexist fine. And while there aren't any on-device apps yet, expect to see mine in a month or two
    Haha, I'd insert challenge here, but man my plate is as full as yours. I'd love it if you made an on-device app so I didn't have to
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

    My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cswright View Post
    how are you installing it and what theme(s)
    Using WOSQI through the themer option. FYI this is coming from a Doctor wipe.
  14. cswright's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by djorijun View Post
    Using WOSQI through the themer option. FYI this is coming from a Doctor wipe.
    well i have to ask: its not some sort of clear launcher theme is it? because that would explain the missing launcher

    odd coming from a doctor wipe. maybe try the default .ipk theme using preware? i have had no issues with preware ipk installs, but a couple themes went wonky using zip and WOSQI. hopefully one of the experts can help. youve been removing themes before installing a new one right?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cswright View Post
    well i have to ask: its not some sort of clear launcher theme is it? because that would explain the missing launcher

    odd coming from a doctor wipe. maybe try the default .ipk theme using preware? i have had no issues with preware ipk installs, but a couple themes went wonky using zip and WOSQI. hopefully one of the experts can help. youve been removing themes before installing a new one right?

    No not a clear one, and example would be the Orginal Blue Theme or the Pre stickers theme. These work perfectly fine, but when I made an attempt to install them I would click the launcher icon and get the Google, Wikepedia, and Twitter search bar.

    I would wipe and try again and they worked fine. And yes I do remove my themes before adding new ones.
  16. #16  
    Hmm, are you sure it's not some sort of patch causing this?
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

    My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
  17. #17  
    How do you go about deconstructing an ipk file? I'd like to combine two themes.

    Thanks
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    How do you go about deconstructing an ipk file? I'd like to combine two themes.

    Thanks
    7zip can open ipk files 7-Zip
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    7zip can open ipk files 7-Zip
    Wow, you are awesome and quick! Thanks.
  20. #20  
    Hey are you still working on the on device theme switcher that would be so Great!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions