1.    #1  
    I have played around with several themes including the Classic Blue, Star Trek, and Matrix Blue themes. But I was kind of unhappy with the way some of the icons on my Pre would get changed and not return to their original appearance when switching to a new theme. So I decided to use the webOS Quickinstall utility to start over by loading an "original" Pre theme which I had downloaded early on during my foray into Pre themes. That was a mistake. I can no longer load new themes either through PreWare or through Quickinstall. Both apps give me an install error. So clearly I screwed up.

So how do I fix this? Has anyone else encountered a similar problem and if so how did you deal with it? I'd like to avoid using the webOS Doctor as I have quite a bit of information locked up in Classic PalmOS apps and would prefer not to wipe it out until there is an easy way to back it up.
    same problem
    How did you install the themes in the first place? Via Preware or WOQI? Also, did you restore the default theme via the restore default button on WOQI or did you download the default theme ipk manually from prethemer and then load it via WOQI? I would try to former first to see if WOQI can restore to default. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $all$ $the$ $prethemer$ $ipk$ $contain$ $xlm$ $to$ $prevent$ $overwriting$ $one$ $theme$ $over$ $another$ $without$ $first$ $restoring$ $to$ $default$. $If$ $you$ $tried$ $to$ $install$ $the$ $default$ $ipk$, $it$ $might$ $not$ $have$ $this$ $xml$ $and$ $Preware$/$WOQI$ $might$ $think$ $a$ $theme$ $is$ $already$ $installed$...

If restoring via restore to default option in WOQI doesn't work. Run WebOS doctor...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Try re-installing package manager. My phone for some reason un-installs it randomly or forgets it's installed. So I just re-install and everything works perfect through preware.
    Have you checked installed packages (or device management in WOQI) and make sure there are no themes still lurking on the device? Make sure all themes are removed
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    If it was a zip theme, I found an issue stemming in my core novacom connection code which under certain circumstances, could cause files to get skipped during skinning or unskinning. I'll be releasing an update later today.

If it was an ipk theme, then I'm not sure what the issue is.

Worst case scenario, before trying WebOSDoctor, be sure to give WebOS Repair Utility a try (with Override Compatibility enabled).
    How do you uninstall themes?
    how do you uninstall them?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    Have you checked installed packages (or device management in WOQI) and make sure there are no themes still lurking on the device? Make sure all themes are removed
    We have a winna!

It turns out I had foolishly been installing one theme over another without uninstalling first! No wonder I ran into trouble. Thanks for the help guys.

Uninstalling and reinstalling themes is kind of a hassle. You fire up Preware, go into Installed Packages and uninstall the themes from there. Since I had multiple themes installed, I had to do multiple Luna Restarts (and run Preware multiple times) in order to clean up my Pre.

A theme manager would be quite welcome at this point....
    I'll be working on that, however, a trick for preware is: when it tells you it needs to restart, swipe up to get your launcher and tap preware's icon again. It'll go back to Preware's home screen without restarting. Then you can restart luna when you're done.
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    My phone is being replaced today and I noticed when I tried to remove the Buuf theme, WebOSQI (latest as of Nov 30th) and Preware were both unable to remove my theme.

I tried using WebOSQI default theme option and that errored (line number mismatch message) and I also tried to reinstall the same theme and then remove with both WebOSQI and Preware and neither worked.

Nonetheless, I'm presently running WebOSDoctor (1.3.1) and starting over before I bring my unit in so it can be replaced without headache and warranty issues.

I wonder if it was a problem with the original Buuf Theme, but I've been using that theme for a while now and it worked and came off without a hitch on previous versions of WebOSQI.

FYI, if you are curious why my phone is being replaced (maybe causing our theme removal problem) it is because my unit no longer connects to Sprint Roaming partners in our area and Sprint Tech Support Engineering would like to have my unit replaced to see if problem goes away.

Update: Finished WebOSDoctor and surprisingly the extra page (4th set) added to launcher stayed behind??? There is nothing on the 4th page, but it didn't go away either...I thought WebOSDoctor was supposed to blank everything except the Media USB storage?
    Last edited by sorli; 11/30/2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Update