Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does the installation/removal of themes differ?

Meaning install from webos install (jay's prog) then remove on preware.... Safe?
    if something does not unload all the way you can go to the link below my post here to the link to get the original theme ok!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Nah, they're separate formats. PreCentral is looking at getting an on-device themer, but no specifics on that yet.

For the moment you'll need to choose between the ipk or the zip format. I'll go into depth on why I personally chose the zip a bit later, for now, I rest, lol
    that would be kool to go into an app and just change the stuff you want to change sweet lol or even to switch back and forth from one theme to another without loading and unloading all the time .very nice!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Does the installation/removal of themes differ?

Meaning install from webos install (jay's prog) then remove on preware.... Safe?
    Since the WebOS Quick Install method of installing themes (which was not known about until the announcement today) does not register them in the standard ipkg database as installations (not saying whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, it just is), there is no way that anything other than WebOS Quick Install even knows that you've installed that theme.

I'm looking into ways that things can be made interoperable, assuming that's what is best for everyone.

A standard interoperable package format seems to have been in the best interest of everyone so far - I'm hoping that the developers involved with themes will see that (in my opinion) the same concept should apply to themes as well (not necessarily the same format, but the concept of the format being open and interoperable amongst sites that distribute themes and applications that install themes).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    it would be nice to get them all to make thier own default theme and upload it wherever its needed because some of these dont unload everything when you uninstall ,thanks ttyl
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    it would be nice to get them all to make thier own default theme and upload it wherever its needed because some of these dont unload everything when you uninstall ,thanks ttyl
    Yep, any default theme that is created without violating Palm copyright on Palm's original image files (which specifically are licensed under the Palm Software License which does not allow redistribution) is fine to add to any feed.

Unfortunately, we do not have one of those ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Nah, they're separate formats. PreCentral is looking at getting an on-device themer, but no specifics on that yet.

For the moment you'll need to choose between the ipk or the zip format. I'll go into depth on why I personally chose the zip a bit later, for now, I rest, lol

Yes, I believe there should be some sort of standard or maybe some type of commonailty. (is that even a word?) However if we get moving along with no interoperability I feel like something will become of it, not good likely.

Well. I see that WEBOS Quick Install does recognize the IPK file for the theme from Preware, but, I'm too much a chicken to go through the grief if anything goes wrong.

Is there a major difference or setback to the IPK process Preware uses or WebOS QI uses? I really dont understand..... much about how either is doing it, but, alas, I FRICKEN LOVE IT no matter how it gets there...

My main concern WAS that WebOS QI was ready to allow me (err my wife) to install a theme right over the IPK installed Original Blue Theme.... luckily I saw what she was doing and noticed that (QI) it showed she had a stock pre theme. What would happen then?
    My main concern WAS that WebOS QI was ready to allow me (err my wife) to install a theme right over the IPK installed Original Blue Theme.... luckily I saw what she was doing and noticed that (QI) it showed she had a stock pre theme. What would happen then?
    Are you saying that WebOS Quick Install indicates to you that the Pre still has the stock theme installed, even though you had installed the Blue Theme via Preware and the Pre is using the Blue Theme when you look at the screen?

Hmm - I just tested it myself and you are correct (see the screenshot). This is not good ... many people will be confused by this.

-- Rod
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/20/2009 at 01:27 AM.
    Well. I see that WEBOS Quick Install does recognize the IPK file for the theme from Preware, but, I'm too much a chicken to go through the grief if anything goes wrong.
    Theme IPKG files were specifically designed so that they could be installed and uninstalled by Preware, PreLoad, WebOS Quick Install, or any other advanced homebrew installer. You can even install them with one tool and uninstall them with another.

It seems that the zip file format is only supported by one installation method - WebOS Quick Install, and that method does not take into account themes that are installed by any of the other theme installation tools.

I'm hoping that we can all agree on an interoperable format that can be created by any number of theme package creation tools, and can be installed by any number of installation tools ... theme authors and theme users don't want to be locked into one solution only.

-- Rod
  11.    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Are you saying that WebOS Quick Install indicates to you that the Pre still has the stock theme installed, even though you had installed the Blue Theme via Preware and the Pre is using the Blue Theme when you look at the screen?

Hmm - I just tested it myself and you are correct (see the screenshot). This is not good ... many people will be confused by this.
    -----------------------------------
    -- Rod
    Hence : My Wife. So. I'm sure Jason will notice these post, and figure a way to address. I've already read somewhere that stacking these themes can cause problems, and this may cause a couple. Probably a little popup to tell users to uninstall previous themes. Maybe two popups to be sure.

You know what. I went ahead and grabbed my peanuts, and Webos QuickunInstalled the Preware IPKg version of Original Blue. Successful. (whew)

Did anyone try to install a tweak (like Opacity) and hit cancel? Nice popup message....

(Off Topic * Are you from Aus?; I bought my kids a Beardie, and cause of thier orgins, they want to travel there and catch dragons.... sheesh!)
    I'm sure Jason will notice these post, and figure a way to address. I've already read somewhere that stacking these themes can cause problems, and this may cause a couple. Probably a little popup to tell users to uninstall previous themes. Maybe two popups to be sure.
    I'm sure a solution will be found - everyone has the interests of the users as the key driver (Jason especially - just look at how the work he has done has made tweaks accessible to many more people than before), and we're still in the infancy of all this new technology, so things will change and hopefully converge as time goes by and interoperable solutions are found ...

-- Rod

Is the PreCentral themer application going to use an open published format?

Is the zip format open or proprietary? The ipkg format is completely open - anyone can create them using a number of different tools, and there are a number of different installers that can install them.

-- Rod
    I do hope a solution is found as I did the same, (installed several themes via pre ware) and now can not get bits and pieces of the matrix theme out.
    Can someone post the link to the default theme, I noticed it in someones sig but I havent posted enough for it to be viewable
    Preware's Package Manager Service 0.9.4 can now install both PreThemer.com and PreCentral.net themes: http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=1906316

-- Rod
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Preware's Package Manager Service 0.9.4 can now install both PreThemer.com and PreCentral.net themes: [url]

-- Rod
    umm... Rod. Your a freakin machine man. Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by debell67 View Post
    I do hope a solution is found as I did the same, (installed several themes via pre ware) and now can not get bits and pieces of the matrix theme out.
    Original theme can b found at the link under my post can you see it lol,
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    i really need help
    will anyone help me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast