Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    it's not a dumb idea, it's actually one several people have suggested (including dianehelen). However, at this stage (new site, theme packaging being so new), I think something like that is a bit too much to undertake and keep it smooth.

I can definitely see it in the future though.
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
  2.    #42  
    As a quick update, I worked with madolen last night to come up with a way to edit jsjsjs $and$ $css$ $files$ $in$ $a$ $safer$ $manner$ $than$ $just$ $replacing$ $whole$ $css$/$js$ $files$ ($which$ $can$ $break$ $things$ $in$ $updates$ $and$ $allows$ $for$ $malicious$ $code$).

So far we're testing it with carrier strings, and things seem to work from what we can see. both Madolen's Steelers theme and my Batman theme have custom carrier strings which should SAFELY install/uninstall from preware and WOQI with the ipk:

PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!

I was just thinking if the 3rd option was added to the download window, & if people did it from here forward (*and even redo the ones that are on the site already before the floodgates spill! =) it wouldnt be a huge undertaking, (though I agree the work to add another section to the page should be down the road.
    So...if I installed a theme through Quick Installer (.ipk file) as an application, do I still need to remove it before installing the 1.2 update?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbngator View Post
    So...if I installed a theme through Quick Installer (.ipk file) as an application, do I still need to remove it before installing the 1.2 update?
    Irrespective of how you install Themes, Tweaks and Patches, you need to remove them all before a WebOS update.

You do not need to remove homebrew applications of any kind.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I've noticed that the .ipk file that I downloaded doesn't have all of the "features" that come with the download from the PreThemer website. I downloaded the zip file to my computer. When I tried loading it as a .zip file, the Quick Installer gives me an error message "ERROR: Invalid theme zip; theme.xml file missing."

Help, please?
    I've noticed that the .ipk file that I downloaded doesn't have all of the "features" that come with the download from the PreThemer website. I downloaded the zip file to my computer. When I tried loading it as a .zip file, the Quick Installer gives me an error message "ERROR: Invalid theme zip; theme.xml file missing."

Help, please?
    Did you download an ipkg file, or a zip file? The two are not interchangeable.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Problem: Tried to add AT&T in my iphone theme for the carrier string.. but now it says ATthis.carrierText=..... So I guess & is not working.
    --Marvin
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Problem: Tried to add AT&T in my iphone theme for the carrier string.. but now it says ATthis.carrierText=..... So I guess & is not working.
    Did you add it on prethemer or via editing your own .jsjsjs $file$?
    Quote Originally Posted by madolen View Post
    Did you add it on prethemer or via editing your own .jsjsjs $file$?
    On PreThemer... But I just took it off..
    --Marvin
    I deleted the ipk file so I could try doing it the zip file method. Didn't work. Read some more, and downloaded the Preware tool to download the theme directly.

Does Preware need to be removed for the update?
    I uninstall my theme with the color and the carrier text..But it still showing up on my phone
    --Marvin
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    I uninstall my theme with the color and the carrier text..But it still showing up on my phone
    Download this file and put it on your phone using QuickInstall under the theme section.. It should fix your problem

Uninstall_Theme_Quick_Install_2.0.zip - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
  14.    #54  

Help, please?
    From Prethemer, download the ipk file to install using WOQI. The zips do not include the theme.xml file as the final spec was only recently made available to me. It will be updated at some point.

Doh, will try that and debug.

I deleted the ipk file so I could try doing it the zip file method. Didn't work. Read some more, and downloaded the Preware tool to download the theme directly.

Does Preware need to be removed for the update?
    nope, it's basically an app (well it is), and apps don't have to be removed between updates.

Which theme was this? The same one that had the AT&T issue?

I don't know if it's the feed or what but when I check the listing on Preware the last update time gets changed to something more recent, but version hasn't changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I don't know if it's the feed or what but when I check the listing on Preware the last update time gets changed to something more recent, but version hasn't changed.
    Yes. It is possible for packages to be updated, but the author does not change the version number.

-- Rod
    I also wanted to get on here and say thanks for making this so easy. I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to tech jargon and installing stuff but this was so easy and I love my new theme.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes. It is possible for packages to be updated, but the author does not change the version number.

-- Rod
    Correct - especially since authors now have the ability to manually change the version, it no longer auto-updates when a change is made.

Quote Originally Posted by hbwright View Post
    I also wanted to get on here and say thanks for making this so easy. I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to tech jargon and installing stuff but this was so easy and I love my new theme.
    No problem, that was the goal

19.    #59  
    hey guys, a few new updates to the site (I've also updated the first post):

*UPDATE 9/23/2009*
    • All zip version of downloaded themes now include the theme.xml file necessary to install the theme with the latest version of webos quick install.
    • I've added checks to the theme installation process (if you install via PreWare or WOQI with an ipk) that will check for a pre-existing theme and error out if there is one there. This should stop people from inadvertently installing multiple themes and ending up with a mess on their phone.
    • Made the ipks work a little closer with WOQI's format so that it can actually uninstall a theme if one already exists (NOTE: This is pending confirmation from Jason)
    • Added support for uploading a zip file generated with Jason's Theme Builder. When you add a new theme, you can go through PreThemer's easy to use wizard, or you can upload a zip file containing the theme.xml file (and images) generated with Theme Builder and all information and files will be imported. You can then set your theme online without any other fiddling.
    • Added previews to the theme uploading wizard. Now you can preview how your theme will look without setting it online and checking out the screenshots (and then having to take it back offline if something isn't right).
    • As previously mentioned, carrier text, carrier color and clock color (on the top bar) is now editable. I've used a method which I hope will be update-safe; meaning if you install the theme on 1.2, it should NOT break the apps as it doesn't actually replace the css and jsjsjs $files$, $just$ $augments$ $them$ $in$ $certain$ $locations$.
    • Added more screenshots for different areas of the phone.

I was just about to ask you about different sceen shots.. So the zip makes the theme.xml or do we got to upload the xml file?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast