1.    #1  
    As we all know by now, the Synergy servers are getting ready to be shut down in the middle of January.

Is anyone planning on setting something up to use as a proxy? Did HP or LG ever open-source the server-side code? Is this something people would be interested in?
    Nope they did nothing to help us, HP has been maximally unhelpful, and LG has nothing to do with legacy webOS. But i'm working on it, and there's almost a 100 people who've signed up to use the community-backed servers. What we'll need, though, is to find someone willing to do a security audit for free. Someone who's good, whose name is respected in the InfoSec community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Nope they did nothing to help us, HP has been maximally unhelpful, and LG has nothing to do with legacy webOS. But i'm working on it, and there's almost a 100 people who've signed up to use the community-backed servers. What we'll need, though, is to find someone willing to do a security audit for free. Someone who's good, whose name is respected in the InfoSec community.
    I'm doubtful this audit will happen. Useful as the service will be, I'd suggest a first step would be an Open-source, simple method to get data off the device. I'm not a coder, but I'd say solutions might look like (in order of increasing ease):
    1. Identify relevant back up data and manually copy it off the device. (Basically a list of items and locations to copy)
    2. Some kind of script to copy those items to the USB partition for removal (if space permits)
    3. An app that does the above (a UI to activate the script, maybe with some options)
    4, Automate the transfer via USB - possibly initiated from the PC
    5. Then add wireless data, scheduling etc etc...

Getting data BACK on to the device might be a whole new problem with authentication and the like, but this is a problem only for the few who have problems and need to doctor - they will hopefully be prepared to follow detailled instructions for a restore process until this can also be automated (because sooner or later, we will all need it).

Lacking the skills myself, I feel bad making these suggestions, but I think trying to construct a complete replacement solution, audit and implement it by the 15th is a big ask. The major requirement is first to simply be able to make a back up. If the process is open-source and the first solution is local back up, everything that follows is simply iteration - in fact the first people needing to restore after the shutdown may make a good test group for backup solutions as they come online.

I'm not clear if you are doing this yourself or are working with others, but I'd say one step at a time and... GOOD LUCK!
    @Preemptive,

Seems like you and i looking at the problem in polar-opposite ways, but that may just be the result of a simple misunderstanding. No big deal, it happens.

A backup solution that digs around a device and produces a backup is available, in pieces, from some long-time devs here. So i'm not going there. What i'm doing is building a Profile server system that will work "out of the box", when you point your phone's hosts file to our server. So on the device side, everything will work as Palm intended. Getting data back on a device uses the same mechanism when you reset a phone and restore from Profile, but we won't send a wipe signal if you add an extra phone.

Later on, we can build what you have in mind, but for now, i'll stick with building a "drop-in" Profile server replacement.

While i have nothing against Open Source, right now might be a bad time. If i miss a security hole, and this community is mostly made up of consumers who won't know enough to see it, that will put us at risk. Security by obscurity isn't my model, i'm just throwing the idea out there. Furthermore, i'd have to field support calls form people trying to set up Profile servers, and that will waste my time. It will fragment the "customer base", so if there's six guys trying to win over their own part of this community, there would be issues with funding and quality of service. And if anyone modifies the system in ways that will make it less secure, if something happens, everyone will still think it's "my" code, and i will have to take the blame.

So i'm open to sharing the code with Internals devs like Rod, Jason, Herrie and John Steffes, for critique and safekeeping, but dumping it on github seems like a bad bargain at this point. John and i are nominally working together, but i haven't bothered him with this, so it's just me at this point, until i can comfortably say that my schedule or condition of devices won't get in the way of work. I don't want to be flaky or unreliable, or to foist a project upon someone who has better things to do. But we'll finish it together, because i do need a second set of eyes, and do have questions that he would be in a better position to answer.

As for the 15th, why not? There's still ten more days to go... And a security audit, even if not in the same timeframe, won't take long for well-documented code

I'm not going for a point-by-point rebuttal here, however i do want to clarify my position. I can be a little blunt and abrasive at times, but please don't take it wrong.

As i work on it, the biggest challenge for today would be figuring out how i can split up the server logic into "jobs" spread across different systems (easy), while "authenticating" that the result of those "jobs" is valid, exists in only one instance, and not inserted by anyone trying to mess with the system. Modularity will make everything simpler and cheaper, but i don't have enough background in crypto, so i'm off to read up on stuff to make sure i can pass around a multi-part signature that will be used to make sure nothing gets confused in the process