Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Well, I think I was able to hack my pre2 skype using the skype binaries from mantaray(pre3 image)
    Just renamed the old files and used WOQI and Send file option to copy over the files and restarted the device. All works just fine I was hoping that I can even get video on the pre2(I've wanted to do that for a long time) but so far no dice.
    Skype works on my pre2 and I did test call to my wifes skype on TP

Here's how to do it and which files need replacing:
    1. backup your current files in these locations (just rename them to something like original_name_old - I used internalz to do on the phone ):
    etc\event.d\skypekit
    etc\event.d\skypekit-offport
    usr\bin\skypem
    usr\bin\skypevalidator

2. Find the same files in the mantaray image extract them somewhere on your local drive.

3. Use WOQI and Send file option and send the files to their locations on the phone(it's the same as the image) where webosdoctorp224mantaatt\resources\webOS\nova-cust-image-mantaray.rootfs.tar\nova-cust-image-mantaray.rootfs is the root (or \) on your phone.

P.S. Phone seems to be a bit sluggish then before but skype is a recourse hog anyway.
    P.P.S. Still want to use my back camera for cases when I want to show somebody what I'm seeing or using the mirror on the back and show my face Maybe need to look at the phone app itself
    Well, If you add usr\bin\linux-armv7-skypekit-voicepcm-videortp
    and you have updated the both:
    etc\event.d\skypekit
    etc\event.d\skypekit-offport
    then it starts starts the service with skype video. I didn't have that copied and skype still logged on and I was able to do audio calls. Might have to check the phone app on pre3 and pre2 doctors.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    I rarely use Skype (1 - 3 times a year), but I just tested on my 2.2.4 FrankenPre2 and I simply needed to re-enter my password and I was able to connect to one of my TouchPads (also re-entered password for different Skype account) with a Skype phone call. Seems that it can work with Pre2 / webOS 2.2.4
    Hmm, well I didn't enter by password for sure because I thought I have it stored and with the hack I had in previous post I was able to connect to skype without entering my password.
    Didn't have to enter it in the TP either.
    But it's good to know there's less involved way to get back skype on pre2
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    ...But it's good to know there's less involved way to get back skype on pre2
    From the other recent posts it seems like Microsoft flicked a switch "Off" a few days ago and flicked it back "On" in the last day or two. I was concerned that if I deleted the Skype account on my FrankenPre2 I would not be able to add it back on, but I have now tested that as well.

1. Deleted the only Skype account on that phone
    2. Waited several minutes
    3. Added Skype account back onto the phone
    4. Successfully connected a call to one of my TouchPads
    Can anyone confirm this to now work again for a VZW Pre 2 on 2.1?
    deleted skype accounts on Touchpad and pre 3 and re entered and now working again,
    Microsoft doing the decent thing for webOS users as there are quite a few of us out here
    still using Skype and webOS for some years to come.
    Working again on my Pre3! Niceeee...
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    Yes, sir! It's back on my Pre3! Gotta check on my Touchpad.
    Boom, boom, lacka, lacka, lacka, boom!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgutierrez View Post
    Yes, sir! It's back on my Pre3! Gotta check on my Touchpad.
    Boom, boom, lacka, lacka, lacka, boom!!!
    Same here, all working on TPs spontaneously, whoever made this happen:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
  9.    #49  
    So as thread starter i want to report back, after returning from weekend holiday without network but just putting up the request in skype forum before leaving (Re: Skype for webOS update? - Skype Community):

IT'S WORKING AGAIN (just by logging in - no change on Pre 2 made)

Yeah i lknow i'm late to the celebration - but hey better than "still not working"

---
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    So as thread starter i want to report back, after returning from weekend holiday without network but just putting up the request in skype forum before leaving (Re: Skype for webOS update? - Skype Community):

IT'S WORKING AGAIN Click to view quoted image
    (just by logging in - no change on Pre 2 made)

Yeah i lknow i'm late to the celebration - but hey better than "still not working" Click to view quoted image

---
    So grateful for M$ re-establishing Skype logins on webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Idea to use skype for desktop linux(in ubuntuchroot) is good, but there is no skype for arm(desktop). I also think skype might be discontinued in any moment, so it's better to switch to opensource alternative. Another option, Tox, is crossplatform,opensource, decentralized. At least Toxic(console client) can be run(in ubuntuchroot) without much efforts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do those open source video chat solutions work on Windows?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN_ru View Post
    Idea to use skype for desktop linux(in ubuntuchroot) is good, but there is no skype for arm(desktop). I also think skype might be discontinued in any moment, so it's better to switch to opensource alternative. Another option, Tox, is crossplatform,opensource, decentralized. At least Toxic(console client) can be run(in ubuntuchroot) without much efforts.
    Ah, yes the ARM thing... As noted in the article, there is a 'popularity' problem with the various open-source or even proprietary systems: Skype is the dominant platform, so you have to have it to talk to everybody else who is also on it. It's the same as trying to start a social network to compete with Facebook.

That said, there ARE alternatives and if there is one that is 'better', perhaps especially in terms of being able to connect to other clients through a common protocol, then there could be gradual uptake leading to eventual ubiquity.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Well, Linphone will run on iOS, Android & Windows phone 8. That doesn't mean it will run on webOS, but it's open source, so perhaps it would be possible. Even using the Porting Development Kit (PDK) to port the iOS app might be do-able.

EDIT: There appears to be a Linphone, 'web-softphone' written in Javascript: http://www.linphone.org/technical-corner/belle-sip.html

EDIT2: Hang on! We already have it: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ation:Linphone

Here's the thread: Linphone alpha testing

I'll have a look at this Tox one...
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/19/2014 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    They claim so, but can't check.(uTox client)
    Ah, yes the ARM thing... As noted in the article, there is a 'popularity' problem with the various open-source or even proprietary systems: Skype is the dominant platform, so you have to have it to talk to everybody else who is also on it. It's the same as trying to start a social network to compete with Facebook.

That said, there ARE alternatives and if there is one that is 'better', perhaps especially in terms of being able to connect to other clients through a common protocol, then there could be gradual uptake leading to eventual ubiquity.
    Yes, this is a problem, but tox has some nice features. IMHO, it's always better to use open-source standards.
    I just wanted to mention(and popularize a little) tox here because it's known as attempt to recreate full skype experience. But of course, everyone decides what is convenient for themself.
    Between, LuneOS seems have no chance for skype support(at least at this time, without support for android apps), while tox has qt5 clients.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Well, it's not for me to say as I lack the skills, but I suppose a time will come when webOS-Ports may decide to develop the existing Linphone work or create a version of Tox. If you do some work on the LuneOS project, then you may be a decision maker on that! ;-)

The Tox site seems to be a newer project and emphasises security, so that may swing things in it's favour - especially if it offers the function and ease of use of Skype.
    Actually I'm thinking, I wonder if Microsoft is just fulfilling some contractual agreements with HP, that they had to turn it back on.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here

Well, Linphone will run on iOS, Android & Windows phone 8. That doesn't mean it will run on webOS, but it's open source, so perhaps it would be possible. Even using the Porting Development Kit (PDK) to port the iOS app might be do-able.

EDIT: There appears to be a Linphone, 'web-softphone' written in Javascript: Belle-sip: SIP user agent library - open source video sip phone, voip software

EDIT2: Hang on! We already have it: Application:Linphone - WebOS Internals

Here's the thread: Linphone alpha testing

I'll have a look at this Tox one...
    Well, Linphone is VOIP client - nothing more and in order to use it you need to have VOIP number.
    The version that we have in the forums is outdated but still works and suited me well for my VOIP needs(free calls overseas).
    Tox seems to be better skype alternative and it acts as p2p so it must be more secure and decentralized and yes they have windows client. Here's a list with all the clients they have:
    https://wiki.tox.im/Binaries
    So yeah, Skype login worked again when I checked on 8/19. But moments ago it's failing again. Can anyone else confirm or deny? Thanks. (argh)
    Works fine for me.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  20.    #60  
    Stil works here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast