Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    I'm not much of Skype user, but some thoughts:

I'm not clear how MS have cut off older devices. Maybe it's an API update (assumed to be proprietary) or it could be done by device ID. This could be spoofed, so there's a slight chance someone might find a work around with this or some other method, but unlikely. EDIT: Ah! See above! ;-)

What if we could find a Skype app elsewhere?

FirefoxOS is another web-based OS. I see no sign of a Skype client. Perhaps someone with a device or a web link to the marketplace can clarify. If there were such an app it might run on webOS or require just a few tweaks to do so.

webOS is a linux based OS. There is a skype for Linux... Could that work? Download Skype for Linux

You can also get Skype for TVs. A big screen videophone is a good use-case and MS offer Skype for a number of models. It would also seem likely that TV makers would be eager to get the service on their sets. From this list, http://www.skypeassets.com/content/d..._TV_Models.pdf it seems that Skype is available on LG TVs, but there is nothing listed after 2013. If a Skype app arrives for LG webOS TV's, it could well be coded in Enyo. Is there any chance of such an app being modified for mobile?

Current options would seem to be using the Android version on a dual boot TP, ACL or just possibly under Android Chroot on Pre3...?

I'll add Skype to the list as a zombie until any resurrection options are exhausted.
    Well, Skype on webOS is hybrid app and more so PDK compiled for the ARM version CPUs we have in pre2/3 and TP. God knows what type of CPUs all these TV makers are using. The only difference is that they still make their hw and sw(and support it) in spite of webOS.
    If skype servers are checking for the version as Herie assumes it should be patchable the way the build in flash player(I think) was or spoofed in some way.
    I'm sure that a lot of old versions of android are in the wild and used and most likely it happen there first.
    Not many win phone 7 devices and the OS i more closed or hackable than Android.
    I really hope that it'll be sooner than later.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Haven't had a chance to test on my TP yet, but a new fun Skype icon appeared on my VZW Pre3 that was never there before. I'll have to check it out.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Same problem here, I rely on Skype for keeping in contact with my family around the globe. Now they won't be able to ring my HP Pre3 phone, and I won't be able to check on my elderly relatives when out of the country.
    Microsoft announced old Skype versions would be closed, my Symbian and Meego phones are not logging
    on to Skype and now Touchpad and pre 3 now the same,windows phone 7 owners also in the same boat.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    So why can't we login? According to Skype https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...-support-skype THE TouchPad and Pre3 are supported by Skype? Hmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by pdej View Post
    So why can't we login? According to Skype https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...-support-skype THE TouchPad and Pre3 are supported by Skype? Hmmm
    Hmmmm is right...

You can get full help and support for your webOS device on the Hewlett Packard support site*.

*Skype is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    I noticed that that the Skype app is apparently authored by HP, but perhaps there's a chance MS might look favourably on us.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Hmmmm is right...

I noticed that that the Skype app is apparently authored by HP, but perhaps there's a chance MS might look favourably on us.
    But how do we bring it to M$ attention?
    Finally upgraded to a Pre3; arrived about a week ago. Big selling point was the front-facing camera!

Was able to make one Skype video call to my son (worked well!), and sent texts, too. Now experiencing the same login failure. If I'd known in advance, probably would've just gotten another Pre2 (to replace the one that went Skynet on me).

At a loss, I decided to delete and re-add my Skype account (worked before when my contacts didn't sync). And that's when I discovered the login issue.

For kicks, I tried creating a brand new account. Didn't login either, but... I did receive a confirming email for the new account, despite the login failure. So there's definitely some communication going on.... if that info is of any use, to those that have a deeper understanding of this stuff.

Is there any other use for the front-facing camera in the app catalog?
    Quote Originally Posted by batterboy View Post
    Finally upgraded to a Pre3; arrived about a week ago. Big selling point was the front-facing camera!

Was able to make one Skype video call to my son (worked well!), and sent texts, too. Now experiencing the same login failure. If I'd known in advance, probably would've just gotten another Pre2 (to replace the one that went Skynet on me).

At a loss, I decided to delete and re-add my Skype account (worked before when my contacts didn't sync). And that's when I discovered the login issue.

For kicks, I tried creating a brand new account. Didn't login either, but... I did receive a confirming email for the new account, despite the login failure. So there's definitely some communication going on.... if that info is of any use, to those that have a deeper understanding of this stuff.

Is there any other use for the front-facing camera in the app catalog?
    There's an app in Preware and another one in the app catalog. Search in photografy and something like mirror for Pre 3. Hope it helps..
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    webOS uses something called SkypeKit SDK for connectivity to Skype. This is no longer supported by MS and actively being blocked recently. No to extremely litte chance this will be fixed.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    So spoofing the version number is the only possible(?) solution to this - assuming MS is doing something as simple as reading a header. This might last until an API or system update totally broke compatibility.

Any chance that Skype for Linux could be run under Legacy or Open webOS? This might allow future-proofing, but also I guess require a new UI.

Of course, even if possible, all these solutions require the knowledge, skill, desire & time to implement...

Here? http://community.skype.com/t5/Other-...ht/true#M18693
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/18/2014 at 01:05 AM.
    Official word from Skype: It is supported.

Re: Skype for webOS update? - Skype Community

I just tried and it magically started working again.
    Confirm, it's working.
    But webOS skype section is located under "discontinued products and features":
    https://support.skype.com/en/category/SKYPE_FOR_WEBOS/
    Yup. Working for me too. YAY!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Yup. Working for me too. YAY!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Not on my Veer yet, but good to see MS did something right at least. I guess they didn't want to upset HP. They probably turned it off and then when people started complaining realized they shouldn't have and now turned it on again

Edit:

Seems Veer & TP work again here, was my 3G connection that was having problems before
    Last edited by Herrie; 08/18/2014 at 07:53 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Wow! That was unexpected!

I just dropped in to mention this as tested by NIN_ru above: (Pre3) AndroidChroot - run android inside webOS

I guess we should all log in to thanks MS for doing their part to maintain webOS! ;-)
    Well, good that they fixed it on the supported devices, which leaves my pre2 not working yet
    Not that I'm using it that much on the phone more on the TP since pre2 doesn't have front camera but still same webOS version as pre3 although I know the skype app is a bit different.
    Oh well, still better than nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    ... leaves my pre2 not working yet...
    I rarely use Skype (1 - 3 times a year), but I just tested on my 2.2.4 FrankenPre2 and I simply needed to re-enter my password and I was able to connect to one of my TouchPads (also re-entered password for different Skype account) with a Skype phone call. Seems that it can work with Pre2 / webOS 2.2.4
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast