Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    Recently my AOL email stopped working, sayiing the password was invalid. Nothing I tried worked, I verified the password worked on my computer. So I deleted the account and now cannot re-add it, to the Pre3 or TouchPad, getting a message saying "requested encryption not supported by server", using the IMAP settings AOL gives. Anybody's AOL working? It's a secondary email I infrequently use for family.
    TIA
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Whatever they did in the course of fixing the heartbleed bug broke SSL connections to their servers for webOS. The only way it works now is to not use a secure connection - which I would not do. I looked into updating certificates like we did for Hotmail, but I don't think the older version of openSSL used in webOS supports the new certificates, so it fails with that error.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 06/20/2014 at 10:28 PM.
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
    This has happened an all three of my Touchpads. At first I thought it was the Touchpad itself but it usually happens at the same time. Basically, this is on AOL's end.

It takes about a minute to fix the problem since all it winds up being is AOL kicking the Touchpad off their system.

All I do is the following. This corrects the problem 99% of the time.

1. Go to "Account Settings".
    2. Click on your AOL account in the "Synergy" section
    3. Click "Change Login Settings
    4. Re-enter Password
    5. Click "Sign In". Done.

However, there are times when it does not. In that case, you have to enter your password manually. This usually happens because your password may be correct on the "Incoming Mail Server" but be incorrect on the "Outgoing Mail Server".

1. Go to "Account Settings".
    2. Click on "Change Login Settings".
    3. Click "Manual Setup
    4. Look in the "Incoming Mail Server" section.
    5. Verify the server has "imap.aol.com" If it has anything else, then change it to that.
    Verify your password is correct. You will not be able to see it. It will just show six dots. Type in your password.
    6. Make sure "Encryption" is turned off (None)
    7. Check "Port". Mine has "143" so you may have the same thing

8. Look in the "Outgoing Mail Server" section.
    9. Verify that the server has "smtp.aol.com
    10. Verify "Use Authentication" is "ON"
    11. Type in your PAssword
    12. Encryption, "None".
    13. Port, "25".

Click "sign In". Everything should work just fine.

If it does not, then it is beyond me. It took me several months to figure this all out and it has worked out for me just fine.

As I mentioned, it is not the Touchpad. This all stems from AOL. When my AOL mail gets knocked out, guaranteed my wife and son will come to me in a few minutes with the same problem.

-Koa-
  4.    #4  
    I can't get either to work with encryption or authentication on. I can receive with encryption off, but aol won't send email with the authentication off.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I can't get either to work with encryption or authentication on. I can receive with encryption off, but aol won't send email with the authentication off.
    I have my AOL email set up as described by Koa. I am able to receive and send email. Make sure the encryption is "none" for incoming/outgoing, but that user authentication is "on" for outgoing email.
    Last edited by ericlf; 06/29/2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: original message had wrong instructions, typo
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericlf View Post
    I have my AOL email set up as described by Koa. I am able to receive and send email. Make sure the encryption is "none" for incoming/outgoing, but that user authentication is "on" for outgoing email.
    Nope, it still fails, giving the error "Unable to validate outgoing mail server settings."
    I've been having encrypted IMAP mail problems with AOL since back in March(I think. See the Outlook certificate thread). It was sporadic for a month and then stopped working altogether. I've written to AOL tech support multiple times asking what they changed but have gotten no response.

Depending on the WebOS device, I get different messages saying the failure is a certificate or protocol not supported. I have to turn IMAP encryption off to get anything to go through. I've since been moving my sensitive email over to Outlook.com and just using AOL for junk mail.
    Just had to doctor my touchpad and was having the same problems logging into my aol email.
    tried the settings above and could receive email but not send.
    I found if I changed the port for outgoing to 587 it worked perfect. Just an FYI to anyone adding an aol email account.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.