Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm (still) currently running a Sprint Palm Pre with WebOS 1.4.5 as my daily driver. This past week I noticed that updates to my Yahoo contacts are not being synced successfully to my phone.

If I manually initiate a synchronization with the "Sync Now" button everything appears to succeed, yet no new or updated contacts show up. The same happens if I try to sign in manually to just my Yahoo account under contacts - the "Yahoo: Syncing Account ..." and "Yahoo Sync Complete" notifications pop up yet nothing seems to happen.

I know it's at least trying to communicate with Yahoo's servers as an intentionally incorrectly entered password is rightfully rejected.

We lost LinkedIn contact synchronization a while ago, but have we now lost Yahoo as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by IronManRust View Post
    I'm (still) currently running a Sprint Palm Pre with WebOS 1.4.5 as my daily driver. This past week I noticed that updates to my Yahoo contacts are not being synced successfully to my phone.

If I manually initiate a synchronization with the "Sync Now" button everything appears to succeed, yet no new or updated contacts show up. The same happens if I try to sign in manually to just my Yahoo account under contacts - the "Yahoo: Syncing Account ..." and "Yahoo Sync Complete" notifications pop up yet nothing seems to happen.

I know it's at least trying to communicate with Yahoo's servers as an intentionally incorrectly entered password is rightfully rejected.

We lost LinkedIn contact synchronization a while ago, but have we now lost Yahoo as well?
    You are right. I had the same problem today - not being able to sync a new contact from Yahoo - and decided to do something that worked for me sometime ago: deleting the Yahoo Contacts account on the phone and then creating it again to reload all the contacts. Not such a good idea because it didn't reload my Yahoo contacts

It looks like something changed on the backend of the Contacts API. Curiously, the Yahoo email functionality still works flawlessly.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PegasusWos View Post
    You are right. I had the same problem today - not being able to sync a new contact from Yahoo - and decided to do something that worked for me sometime ago: deleting the Yahoo Contacts account on the phone and then creating it again to reload all the contacts. Not such a good idea because it didn't reload my Yahoo contacts

It looks like something changed on the backend of the Contacts API. Curiously, the Yahoo email functionality still works flawlessly.
    Thanks for confirming things, PegasusWos. My Yahoo mail continues to function as well; I don't use Yahoo's calendar so I can't comment on that.

Also, sorry your contacts got cleared out; I was afraid that would happen if I removed and re-added the account.
    Many of the cloud data or email providers switch to encrypted protocols (https, ssl/tls) these days. Probably yahoo is doing the same, just as google. The webOS protocol files should be changed or patched. Grabber5.0 wrote a patch for google sync, something similar should be done for yahoo.
    I haven't noticed this since I migrated my contacts to Google years ago when I found out that Yahoo contact sync was one-way only. I'll turn contacts on for my Yahoo account and see what happens. Ooh, I remembered that the OP is on 1.4.5 - that probably is a problem, as the sync is handled in a java service in 1.x, and I don't think it is patchable.
    This is from webOS 2.2.4, but it ain't good:
    Code:
    [2014-04-11 19:27:44] (sync) Yahoo contac.: API request returned HTTP error code 404     at handleAPICallResponse (transport.jsjsjs:$287$:$11$)     $at$ $Future$.$_maybeDispatch$ (/$usr$/$palm$/$frameworks$/$foundations$/$version$/$1$.$0$/$javascript$/$control$/$future$.$js$:$300$:$17$)     $at$ $Future$.$setResult$ [$as$ $result$] (/$usr$/$palm$/$frameworks$/$foundations$/$version$/$1$.$0$/$javascript$/$control$/$future$.$js$:$388$:$8$)     $at$ $Future$. (/$usr$/$palm$/$frameworks$/$foundations$/$version$/$1$.$0$/$javascript$/$control$/$future$.$js$:$271$:$17$)     $at$ $Future$.$_maybeDispatch$ (/$usr$/$palm$/$frameworks$/$foundations$/$version$/$1$.$0$/$javascript$/$control$/$future$.$js$:$300$:$17$)     $at$ $Future$.$setResult$ [$as$ $result$] (/$usr$/$palm$/$frameworks$/$foundations$/$version$/$1$.$0$/$javascript$/$control$/$future$.$js$:$388$:$8$)     $at$ $IncomingMessage$.$requestDone$ (/$usr$/$palm$/$frameworks$/$foundations$/$version$/$1$.$0$/$javascript$/$comms$/$ajaxcall$.$js$:$475$:$20$)     $at$ $IncomingMessage$.$emit$ ($events$:$3$:$198$)     $at$ $HTTPParser$.$onMessageComplete$ ($http$:$5$:$213$)     $at$ $Client$.$onData$ [$as$ $ondata$] ($http$:$40$:$305$)
    Looks like the URL used for contact sync does not exist anymore. Perhaps they forgot to file a change of address for their API? :/
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problem, I think. I'm frequently getting a Yahoo syncing notification, which never seems to finish. I went into accounts to see if I could do anything. I tried re-signing into Yahoo, but I'm getting "Unknown error". It's not critical for me, but it is annoying.
    Maybe this could be helpful, revealed by google search:

Yahoo Contacts and Profile APIs move to HTTPS

So they made the same step google has made before.

Has been discussed here:

Working code gone bad: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found
    Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
    Maybe this could be helpful, revealed by google search:

Yahoo Contacts and Profile APIs move to HTTPS

So they made the same step google has made before.

Has been discussed here:

Working code gone bad: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found
    Thanks. Not surprised to see this. For webOS 2.x and up, this may be the same change as the google sync patch. Might not be able to get to this for a couple days, but I'll take a look at it.

Edit: ok I couldn't resist. I don't have time (really) to make a patch right now, but I only found one reference and changing it fixed sync of contacts from Yahoo to my Touchpad, and the same change in the 2.2.4 emulator. Just change the SYNC_URL in /usr/palm/services/com.palm.service.contacts.yahoo/transport.jsjsjs $to$ $say$ $https$ $instead$ $of$ $http$. $I$ $found$ $no$ $other$ $references$. $Since$ $Yahoo$ $contact$ $sync$ $is$ $one$-$way$, $I$ $wouldn$'$t$ $expect$ $any$ $other$ $issues$.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/14/2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Patch attached, tested on Pre3 with 2.2.4 and Touchpad using 3.0.5. Let me know if you have issues. As for 1.4.5 and older, as I said earlier, that is in a java service and I don't know if they are patchable.

Download link for same file from my website for direct on-device install: http://fordmaverick.com/GrabberSoftw...ix/ysync.patch
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/14/2014 at 03:07 PM.
    Nicely done! I wonder if the issue with the Yahoo calendar is as easy to fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by kolomona View Post
    Nicely done! I wonder if the issue with the Yahoo calendar is as easy to fix.
    There is an issue with the calendar too? I don't use Yahoo for anything but email, so I guess I missed that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    There is an issue with the calendar too? I don't use Yahoo for anything but email, so I guess I missed that too.
    Not sure. There's an issue with my calendar. It started about the same time and exhibited similar symptoms, but since I use my Yahoo calendar less heavily than my other calendars, I didn't pay much attention to exactly when. This thread made me think of it and wonder if it's related.

Edit: when I say "exhibited similar symptoms", what I means is like the OP, email is working, sometimes I see the "Yahoo: Syncing Account ..." and "Yahoo Sync Complete" notifications pop up and it looks like that's working too, but calendar data isn't actually syncing. I actually removed my account at one point to see if that would help, but like an earlier poster, that just ended up clearing the (calendar) data completely -- I can't even see my yahoo calendars now, let alone the data in them.
    Last edited by kolomona; 04/14/2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Add slightly more info regarding symptoms
    I see what you are saying. I saw this on my Veer earlier when I installed the patch on it. I didn't see any clues in Lumberjack, but I'll see if I can find something in the logs.
    I see what you are saying. I saw this on my Veer earlier when I installed the patch on it. I didn't see any clues in Lumberjack, but I'll see if I can find something in the logs.
    I did some perusing of the code. It doesn't look like the calendar issue is related to the contacts one -- or at least the calendar urls are using the https:// protocol that is working on other devices.

Since this thread was about contacts and the calendar issue appears to be unrelated, I'll start a new thread for that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by kolomona View Post
    I did some perusing of the code. It doesn't look like the calendar issue is related to the contacts one -- or at least the calendar urls are using the https:// protocol that is working on other devices.

Since this thread was about contacts and the calendar issue appears to be unrelated, I'll start a new thread for that one.
    Have you guys noticed Yahoo messenger problem? On my Palm Pre (1.4.5 ver), I can't log into my yahoo account. It started in mid 2012 or thereafter. The error states that it cannot connect to the server. I doctored the phone and still the same error.

On Touchpad, it keeps signing in and out of the messenger (most of the time it remains logged out).

Any known issues that you guys are aware of?

Thanks a lot.
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Patch attached, tested on Pre3 with 2.2.4 and Touchpad using 3.0.5. Let me know if you have issues. As for 1.4.5 and older, as I said earlier, that is in a java service and I don't know if they are patchable.

Download link for same file from my website for direct on-device install: http://fordmaverick.com/GrabberSoftw...ix/ysync.patch
    Matt, has anyone reported yahoo email sync problem with this patch? My yahoo email syncs for few hours after reboot and then it doesn't download new emails....I looked at the text of the patch...why do you have both http and https versions of the url? Not saying that is the problem...just wondering if people are having problems with their yahoo emails with this patch..

SYNC_URL = "http://social.yahooapis.com/v1/user/",
    + SYNC_URL = "https://social.yahooapis.com/v1/user/",

Thanks.
    I have had intermittent issues with Yahoo mail over the last week, but I do not think it's related. I have not had time to look into it. Push mail seems to be not working - it doesn't download mail until I open the app, but if I set it to periodic sync it syncs normally. When I first noticed it on my Pre2, it would stop getting Yahoo mail sometimes and a reboot would fix it.

Regarding the two line of the patch: the first one has a - in front of it, indicating it is the line from the original file, and the second one has a + in front of it, indicating it is from the modified file. In the end there is only one in the patched file. (that was almost a Highlander quote )
    I have had intermittent issues with Yahoo mail over the last week, but I do not think it's related. I have not had time to look into it. Push mail seems to be not working - it doesn't download mail until I open the app, but if I set it to periodic sync it syncs normally. When I first noticed it on my Pre2, it would stop getting Yahoo mail sometimes and a reboot would fix it.

Regarding the two line of the patch: the first one has a - in front of it, indicating it is the line from the original file, and the second one has a + in front of it, indicating it is from the modified file. In the end there is only one in the patched file. (that was almost a Highlander quote )
    the yahoo mail acct doesn't sync after sometime. I can't even force it to sync manually...hence mail doesn't get updated...thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    the yahoo mail acct doesn't sync after sometime. I can't even force it to sync manually...hence mail doesn't get updated...thanks.
    Yep.. The same thing is happened on my Pre2 again today.. no mail since last night, so I rebooted it after dinner, and it downloaded my mail. Well really almost everything in that account is for my wife.. which is why it hasn't bothered me too much. I will try to find some time to look into it, though I'm pretty sure it's not related to the contact patch at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast