Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    So Google I/O sees the announcement of Google+ Hangouts which supposedly will replace Talk, I wonder if our built in client will still work?
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 05/15/2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  2.    #2  
    I read the article again, looks like they ARE dropping XMPP support:

Exclusive: Inside Hangouts, Google's big fix for its messaging mess | The Verge

This is not good. Although as of now, Pidgin and my Pre 3 still works, even after I have Hangout running on my testing Android phone.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 05/15/2013 at 03:31 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I read the article again, looks like they ARE dropping XMPP support:
    Just after dropping CalDAV and CardDAV? I wonder how long until they close SMTP/IMAP access to GMail.. Well, I personally don't use services that don't adhere to standard protocols. Standards encourage interoperation; private APIs, no matter whether published or not, only make the web divided into small, separate and smelly backyards. Time to abandon gtalk, just like I cleared and abandoned my google calendars...
    Rnp and ananimus like this.
    When did they drop cardDAV And calDAV? Maybe that's a future evil plan, but as of now that seems to be untrue. They are planning on restricting calDAV access to white listed developers, but at this point it seems that wont be too disruptive. We will see.

Now it wouldn't surprise me if they deprecated the APIs that webOS uses before long. Lets hope not. That would make webOS pretty useless.
    xandros9 and Rnp like this.
    Yeah I saw that. I'm hopeful
    The note at the bottom is true:

"Update March 15, 2013: We worked with the developers who provide 98 percent of our current CalDAV traffic to assure access to the CalDAV API, which means many popular products will not be impacted. We remain committed to supporting open protocols like CalDAV. "
    xandros9 and Rnp like this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yeah I saw that. I'm hopeful
    The note at the bottom is true:

"Update March 15, 2013: We worked with the developers who provide 98 percent of our current CalDAV traffic to assure access to the CalDAV API, which means many popular products will not be impacted. We remain committed to supporting open protocols like CalDAV. "
    Argh... I didn't read your post carefully

But like I said.. Could mean it is a future evil plan to jack with Apple and Microsoft. They have already been jacking with them because of the EAS shutdown.

I am getting tired of how pushy Google is getting with Google+ and their other crap.
  8.    #8  
    One thing of interest after talking on the Pidgin IRC:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5714557

It seems like, at least for Apps, that they STILL support XMPP clients.

I don't know, information about Hangouts vs Talk seems like a clusterfrack out there right now. Some say clients will work, some say those who stay with existing clients won't be able to talk to people on Hangouts, blah blah blah.

Could be a lot of panic and misinformation going around. It does seem odd that they would be pushing devs away from an open standard like CalDAV and toward Google Calendar while trying to say they support open standards like CalDAV. Talking out of both sides of their mouth it seems.
  10.    #10  
    Possibly only because the Verge article is the only one that even mentioned XMPP, no other info available really. I really hope Google read all the angry tweets on Twitter...

I wonder more if they open up the API this time. Becaue some API's from their latest products are closed like Keep and Google+ for example (okay, read-only but that's still not really open).
    Not that I'm gonna use this ever but still. If they'd open up this API then we could at least get something built by the community which is always handy for those who do use it.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I am getting tired of how pushy Google is getting with Google+ and their other crap.
    And you know, they removed the option to use the Chrome Google Talk extension without Google+, by deliberately hiding the "Not Yet" button, even though the help site clearly states Hangout can be used without one.

Oh well, praying Antonio won't give up on us so we can carry on using WhatsApp.

13.    #13  
    OK, so I found one article that says XMPP clients still work, just not federation:

Hands on with Hangouts, Google’s new text and video chat architecture | Ars Technica

So basically the trick to use a Jabber transport to connect to other IMs will stop working, but basic Google Talk support will still work and will connect to Hangouts.

Sigh of relief for now. Next big blow for me will be when they start forcing Gmail to integrate with Hangouts, seems like right now it's still optional. Chrome extension is gone for me because they are enforcing G+.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 05/17/2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    OK, so I found one article that says XMPP clients still work, just not federation:
    Thanks for clarification. Still, it's a deal breaker for me -- they're closing interoperability of their XMPP network with the rest of the world. What protocol is used inside seems irrelevant -- it can be XMPP, GoogleMPP, smoke puffs or trained dachshund messengers, whatever.

Next big blow for me will be when they start forcing Gmail to integrate with Hangouts
    To keep above spirit, they should stop accepting/sending messages from/to all other mail servers, "just going out of mail federation"
    Oh, come on, IP via avian carrier is at least a proposed standard, but the ping times are hell.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    dkirker likes this.

Hands on with Hangouts, Google’s new text and video chat architecture | Ars Technica

So basically the trick to use a Jabber transport to connect to other IMs will stop working, but basic Google Talk support will still work and will connect to Hangouts.

Sigh of relief for now. Next big blow for me will be when they start forcing Gmail to integrate with Hangouts, seems like right now it's still optional. Chrome extension is gone for me because they are enforcing G+.
    I appreciate it if you can explain or provide a link how to setup jabber on my Veer running webos 2.2.4 so i chat with my Google Hangouts buddies.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by yashor View Post
    I appreciate it if you can explain or provide a link how to setup jabber on my Veer running webos 2.2.4 so i chat with my Google Hangouts buddies.
    You don't need. Just add your Google Account. Built-in.
    You don't need. Just add your Google Account. Built-in.
    I did add my google account built in, but I can never send message to any google buddies; It keeps displaying the yellow triangle. Plus, i don't see any google buddies, only Skype buddies.
    Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by yashor View Post
    I did add my google account built in, but I can never send message to any google buddies; It keeps displaying the yellow triangle. Plus, i don't see any google buddies, only Skype buddies.
    Any suggestions?
    I removed google account and email then and added it again, it seems to have solved the problem. You assured me that Gtalk works so I made the attempt. thank you.
    the function of group chat is not possible in sinergy.
    could someone make guide to get that this functionality.?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast