webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Synergy and Synchronization > Skype will start using Microsoft Account
Skype will start using Microsoft Account

Old 11/07/2012, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

So here's the deal...

Microsoft confirms Windows Live Messenger retirement in favor of Skype | The Verge

And I tried on Windows 8, basically you use your Microsoft Account and they will ask you to merge your Skype account. Anyone tried this merge and does the built-in Skype support on our phones still work?

I don't mind MSN start working on my phone, but if it completely breaks it... I do use it for long distance calls.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

If the authentication scheme is identical, it should still work on the Touchpad.

If not, then I wouldn't expect Skype to continue working on webOS devices after that point in time. I wouldn't expect an update, either, since that would likely involve HP having to go back to (now) Microsoft in order to renew the agreement they had with Skype, and then push out an OTA (on Touchpads, at least) because it's a core part of the OS.

Apps are going to irreparably break over time. Skype seems like one of those that'll happen sooner rather than later now that Microsoft owns them and are making substantial changes.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Many people use Skype for business purposes and totally alienating paying customers isn't going to happen

It will likely be until sometime in 2014 that MS would stop supporting mobile Skype client apps. I mean, if there is a backlash from the corporate world, they listen. They extended support for XP many times over because corporate IT is not ready to part with a reliable and familiar OS...

So we have another year and half or two before devices running Maemo or webOS will be locked out. By then, many of the phones and tablets will have become broken themselves.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I wouldn't expect they'll break compatibility with old things unless they plan to either (a) lose a lot of customers or (b) provide updates for linux, for windows, for mac, for iOS, for Android, etc etc. That said, Skype in webOS really kind of sucks. It IS better than no Skype at all, but I could probably debate that to a degree. There are some pretty nasty problems with it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

But it's also really the only way to use the front camera... not like I use it though.

I only use it for Wi-Fi calling when I'm in the US.

Old 11/09/2012, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
That said, Skype in webOS really kind of sucks. It IS better than no Skype at all, but I could probably debate that to a degree. There are some pretty nasty problems with it.
Will definitely agree with that sentiment, Skype on WebOS sucks badly with the video-chat and the messaging its not intuitive with a poor design UI. When I used to video call on the TouchPad, back in the days when it was useful as a tablet. I used to hate that whenever you received a message you will forcefully stop the video to respond to messages or moving into another app. I would liked that you could respond to messages right within the video calls app interface right when you are video chatting with family and friends.
Old 11/09/2012, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Will definitely agree with that sentiment, Skype on WebOS sucks badly with the video-chat and the messaging its not intuitive with a poor design UI. When I used to video call on the TouchPad, back in the days when it was useful as a tablet. I used to hate that whenever you received a message you will forcefully stop the video to respond to messages or moving into another app. I would liked that you could respond to messages right within the video calls app interface right when you are video chatting with family and friends.
Well, phone/video chat and messaging are totally different apps. Maybe the people working on LunaCE will figure out how to arrange two cards on the screen as once.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2012, 04:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I wonder if it would be possible to patch the phone app to not pause video when it is deactivated.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2012, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to patch the phone app to not pause video when it is deactivated.
I think that would be great, but could that be possible ?
Old 02/18/2013, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well I tried my hotmail account in Webos and wasn't recognized, so the only supported account are the skype ones.
I merged my skype account into messenger account, so when I login in Skype PC app using my messenger account I'm able to see both type of contacts, but not the other way.
So I believe if you wan't to have your messenger contacts in Skype, you will have to merge your messenger account into your Skype account.
andresigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2013, 08:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Skype seems to have stopped working on my Pre 3, not tried my TP yet (needs to charge). Need to find a Windows PC to try the merge accounts thing see if that helps.
Jimbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2013, 09:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Pre 3 still connecting to Skype, but I haven't done the merge yet, nor upgrade my Skype clients beyond 5. Also using MSN using a third party client so not affected by them cutting me off... yet.
Old 04/10/2013, 10:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Bump... has anybody been forced to merge?

Old 04/11/2013, 12:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

I was a couple of weeks ago, but not because of my phone. Everything was fine until I tried to log into the website on my computer. At that point you are forced to merge. So, don't use the website if you don't have to

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2013, 02:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I was a couple of weeks ago, but not because of my phone. Everything was fine until I tried to log into the website on my computer. At that point you are forced to merge. So, don't use the website if you don't have to
Website doesn't. I just logged on a week ago to put in some vouchers and I'm still not merged.

But has anyone migrated and know how it'll behave?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0